Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 18, 2013   #46
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Hi Anne thanks for the huge compliment that my garden could have inspired yours. Your garden is beautiful.
Yes I think it is going to be a little work. I better get my mind around it soon. I can always give them away if I fall too far behind. I also have had good luck just rinsing the tomatoes, putting them in a plastic bag and freezing them. Then when I want to make sauce I rinse them under water and the skin falls off. Easier than blanching.
As far as what to do when they reach the top: a lot of the larger varieties are burnt out by that time so I do top them, some of the smaller ones can keep producing so I sometimes tie the branch along the top pole or sometimes let it flop over the top.
I am looking forward to evaluating the new varieties. Steve picks everything out and this year he has some new varieties from Millard Murdock (he developed Captain Lucky and Sweet Linda) that I am excited about.
I've been enjoying your garden pics and by the way, I am also an Aggie.
Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #47
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
They look so cute with their bags! So festive!

j
Bags? What is the purpose of bags? To protect the fruit?

TexasAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013   #48
grodematers
Tomatovillian™

That is a spectacular. Just how I would like my setup to be. Small area with a lot of plants. I think I might try to copy you, lol.
grodematers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013   #49
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodematers View Post
That is a spectacular. Just how I would like my setup to be. Small area with a lot of plants. I think I might try to copy you, lol.
Thanks. I think it works very well. I had another great year. I am away for two weeks so I shut the water off to the potted plants 10 days ago and did my last harvest from those plants yesterday before leaving. Prior to shutting off the water the plants looked good and most were still setting tomatoes. I have had so many tomatoes this year i decided it wasn't worth having someone come over and take care of them while I am gone. Most varieties were very productive and I got a good sampling of all varieties and gave away a few hundred pounds of tomatoes. I still have my in ground plants so I will have plenty of tomatoes for my own use for the next few months.
If I were making a new structure I would not make it so high. I would make it so I could reach the top without a ladder. I like the pellatized fertilizer I used this year a lot. It was easy to use and I only had to fertilize twice and the plants were healthy with good fruit set. I think a person could use this idea anywhere. If I didn't have fusarium I would plant in the ground instead of in pots (bags). Good luck.
Marla
Old August 7, 2013   #50
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAngel View Post
Bags? What is the purpose of bags? To protect the fruit?

Sorry I missed this earlier. I bag the tomatoes I want to collect seed from so they don't get crossed with another variety.
Marla