Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 15, 2015   #301
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post

I like the looks of the one on the left. Looks like a determinate? Do either have the Sungold foliage smell? Looking forward to tasting notes! Don't expect a duplicate of Sungold flavor.
Neither plant has the sungold smell. However i finally got some ripe tomatoes from the micro on the left in the picture. Both my wife and myself came to the conclusion that they taste like nothing we have ever tasted. Up front it tastes like apricot, i know apricot but it actually does. Super sweet with a nice acid finish at the end. If you ask me its way better than sungold and one of the best tomatoes i have ever tasted. Super unique flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20150615_125425.jpg (413.3 KB, 201 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; June 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #302
maf
Tomatovillian™

Looks and sounds nice!
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #303
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
If you ask me its way better than sungild and one of the best tomatoes i have ever tasted. Super unique flavor.
Wow, that is a high bar indeed! I hope you are saving lots of seed and not gobbling up all the fruit! I would definitely like a packet.

How tall is the plant now? Still setting fruit?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #304
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

This is fascinating reading! Question for you - what is the largest tomato (weight wise) you've managed to produce from a micro? Just curious as to whether you are exploring larger fruit on the tiny plants - or whether linkage or other factors keep the fruit size small.
Old June 15, 2015   #305
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I focused mostly on cherry size fruit because that is what I am partial to (I know, I'm the anomaly around here. lol!) I think my largest crosses to date have been Hardin's Miniature x Carbon and HM x Ozark Sunrise, HM x Oaxacan Jewel PL (I'd have to check my notes on my other computer). No results on fruit sizes yet on those. I have F3s of the HM x Carbon in various gardens this summer. Hopefully some survive the plagues that have started in my plots already with this weather.

I see a lot of unusual segregation whenever I use HM as a parent. I get rugose and non rugose leaved dwarfs, micros, sprawling plants and spindly upright plants that pump out fruit.

If I were to ever go back to academia (or win the lottery) I know what I'd study this time around!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin

Last edited by ChrisK; June 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old June 15, 2015   #306
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Well, Chris - I am doing some really wide, fun crosses since I have all of the released dwarfs going. I think half a dozen seem to have taken, but this incredible heat and humidity has put my crossing efforts on hold for a bit. Wildest one so far - Summertime Green (1 lb fruit, green when ripe dwarf ) X Mexico Midget (red pea sized). I am also using Speckled Roman in some crosses to bring pastes into the dwarf line - and stripes as well. And maybe potato leaf! I do have a few dwarfs X Sun Gold that seem to have taken.

Right now I am mostly watching with interest a few F1s from last year's dwarf X indet. crosses - fruit set excellent, plant vigor amazing...but of course the results will be pretty predictable and boring with the F1. then the fun begins!
Old June 16, 2015   #307
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I've been trying to get that Opalka cross again this year that I failed on last year but my recipient NBD plant was looking so bad I put it out of my misery this evening. I have other other dwarfs I could try it on.

crmauch is working on my Dwf Stone x San Marzano cross this summer, hope he will get some good pastes out of it.

Yup, the F1 is simply a necessary vehicle to get to the F2! I often dont even take pix or notes on F1s unless there is something really unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Well, Chris - I am doing some really wide, fun crosses since I have all of the released dwarfs going. I think half a dozen seem to have taken, but this incredible heat and humidity has put my crossing efforts on hold for a bit. Wildest one so far - Summertime Green (1 lb fruit, green when ripe dwarf ) X Mexico Midget (red pea sized). I am also using Speckled Roman in some crosses to bring pastes into the dwarf line - and stripes as well. And maybe potato leaf! I do have a few dwarfs X Sun Gold that seem to have taken.

Right now I am mostly watching with interest a few F1s from last year's dwarf X indet. crosses - fruit set excellent, plant vigor amazing...but of course the results will be pretty predictable and boring with the F1. then the fun begins!

Old June 16, 2015   #308
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I plan to do lots more - most of the indeterminates I planted are for pollen only (although whatever tomatoes they give me will be greatly enjoyed). Growing them in 5 gallon bags, pruned to 2-3 stems, will top at 4 feet (they are nearly there).

If all goes well, the dwarf project will expand into the nether regions next year!
Old June 16, 2015   #309
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Haha! So much for winding that project down! Onward and upward!

Wish I had time to find an unused plot of land around here to do larger growouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
I plan to do lots more - most of the indeterminates I planted are for pollen only (although whatever tomatoes they give me will be greatly enjoyed). Growing them in 5 gallon bags, pruned to 2-3 stems, will top at 4 feet (they are nearly there).

If all goes well, the dwarf project will expand into the nether regions next year!

Old June 16, 2015   #310
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow, that is a high bar indeed! I hope you are saving lots of seed and not gobbling up all the fruit! I would definitely like a packet.

How tall is the plant now? Still setting fruit?
I am definitely saving seed. When the seeds are good and dry i will send you a packet for sure. The plant is still setting fruit and is still just under 11 inches tall. I still have at least a dozen or more fruit developing on the plant and still going strong.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #311
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Here is the F3 parent of your F4, heirloomtomaguy. My F3 notes say it had "Good flavor!!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RRSUF3-11.jpg (146.4 KB, 182 views)

Old June 17, 2015   #312
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've been trying to get that Opalka cross again this year that I failed on last year but my recipient NBD plant was looking so bad I put it out of my misery this evening. I have other other dwarfs I could try it on.
I found last year when doing my Paste X HiBeta crosses last year that the paste tomatoes seemed to be a better pollen recipient than donor (although I would have had more BetaXPaste seeds if they hadn't been lost to LB.)

Quote:
crmauch is working on my Dwf Stone x San Marzano cross this summer, hope he will get some good pastes out of it.
Going to try to post some 'initial' pictures soon. Have 4 beautiful dwarves from the cross (they're running consistently the same size and shorter than most of the 3 lines of Kiwi I'm growing (and I 'think' shorter than the Perth Pride or Tasmanian Chocolate I'm growing). I also have a San Marzano next to them that is planned to be a pollen donor (and a slight possibility of a pollen recipient).

Quote:
Yup, the F1 is simply a necessary vehicle to get to the F2! I often dont even take pix or notes on F1s unless there is something really unexpected.
Sometimes the F1 is interesting. I'm hoping to see the differences in my crosses w/ different pastes (Shannon, Opalka, Heidi) with two Hi Betas (Jaune Flamme and 97L97 [I also had CaroRich - but it was so late and the crosses were late, so I didn't get tomatoes from them and any crosses were also lost to LB]). JF is a small oblate, and 97L97 is a oblong paste type (but determinate). I think the differences in genetics in the combinations of the 5 will be interesting.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #313
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

This is how my microdwarf tomatoes season has been so far.
I think I have the same variety as dfollett.
Red Robin x Rose Quartz Multiflora F3 from RRx RQMF f2-2.

My winter grow out became a early spring grow out.
My seeds were started on February 14 , 2015.
I am growing 9 plants.
They were under grow lights in the house.
I transplanted them into 6 in pots
They did well but were getting to tall for my lights
I decided to take them outside to my hoophouse in mid April
The did poorly in the hoop house with supplemental heating.

I transplanted them into 11 in pots except for one which is still in the 6 in pot.
They are finally looking better as I have now moved them outside.
The plants range in height from 1(B)at 7 inches, 3(X,E,A) at 10 inches, 4(C,A,W,G) at12 inches, one (F) at 16 inches.
Most of my plants have about the same growth habit as Red Robin.
I am growing one plant of Red Robin so I can compare.
I have 4 plants D,F,X and W that are more of the multiflora .

I had 2 plants A and F that were earlier to produce tomatoes. Plant A has produced 8 so far.
Plant F 5 tomatoes, plant D 9 tomatoes, plant B 4 tomatoes, Plant G 7 tomatoes, C 1,
tomato plant X 3 tomatoes.
The tomatoes had been red.
As of today June 18th Plants E and W have green tomatoes but haven't had any ripen.
I was very impressed with Dan's results all the tomatoes he picked from his plants.

Pictures of plants A and B have the plants in the wrong order
I am going to be starting f4 seed from plant A, F and D .
Chris which ones do you want seed from?
Susan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micro dwarf april 2015.jpg (163.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg close up.jpg (185.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg plant A 3.jpg (128.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg plant b.jpg (142.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg plant b2.jpg (119.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg plant A (2).jpg (174.8 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg plant C.jpg (287.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg plant C cherry.jpg (123.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg plant d.jpg (206.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg plant D2.jpg (127.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg plant E.jpg (124.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg plant f 2015.jpg (146.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg plant F cherries.jpg (119.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg plant G .jpg (182.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg plant G 2.jpg (121.6 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg plant W.jpg (188.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg plant X.jpg (205.9 KB, 170 views)
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #314
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Nice pictures and report! I take it the flavor was good enough since you are planting the F4. I don't need seed back yet. Pick the best F4 and send me seed from that one! We'll then have to compare the F5's from you and Dan to pick the top priority.

Old June 28, 2015   #315
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3581757&type=3

JHey ChrisK,
just wanted to show you that mine are still alive and well, still small, still blooming and producing planted in December
Cute in a basket btw. the last three photos are from today

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote