Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 13, 2006   #1
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Default New Book (includes section on toms)

New Book-just came out:

INCREDIBLE VEGETABLES FROM SELF-WATERING CONTAINERS by
Edward C. Smith (also wrote VEGETABE GARDENERS BIBLE).

“Using Ed’s Amazing POTS System- P for Portable, O for Organic, T for Trouble-Free, and S for Secret Soil Formula.”

Pretty good though very basic. Some nice color photos. Enjoyed reading it but I collect gardening books (good or bad) so easy to please. Experienced container growers may not get a whole lot out of it. Diseases of tomatoes, for example, were not really covered at all in the tomato section. Nothing mentioned at all to prepare the beginner for the inevitable foliar disease that many experience. He does encourage composting which I liked. Also has his own (secret) mix and fertilizer.

All the containers he uses came from Gardeners Supply Company—surprised he did not show any Earthboxes (which work so great) though he did mention that he tested them in Acknowledgements page. The containers from GSC are expensive.

Basically uses only online-bought self-watering containers. Doesn’t show how to make one out of Rubbermaid containers or anything. I found that disappointing. He does use a device from GSC that turns a pot you have (with no holes in bottom) into self-watering container. (Costs 12.95 plus shipping.)

Paper-back version (recommended) is about $15. That is pretty inexpensive so think it is worth it.

MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #2
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I got a book by that guy for x-mas - was a good read - will def. check this one ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #3
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the book review. I saw it in GSC latest catalog and wondered about it. Can't say I'm too surprised he only used GSC items since they hawk his book in their latest catalog. I'm sure that's not a coincidence. They have some neat stuff but you're right about the prices.

Of course I have alot of their stuff since I'm a sucker for online ordering.

As for earthboxes, there is a thread in this forum that has a link that shows you how to make one for about a third the cost of the genuine article. It's a very thorough step-by-step guide with pictures along the way. I will be giving it a try this season.

Chris
cthomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #4
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

cthomato,

Quote:
"Of course I have alot of their stuff since I'm a sucker for online ordering."
Tell me about it. Since I have read that book I purchased 4 different containers from them as I wanted to compare them to Earthboxes. I may photo the 'guts' of some of them as it helps to improvise home-made containers.

Right now I have (7) earthboxes, (28 ) 15 gal. containers, (3) 10-gal. self-watering ones from discount store,
(5) 50 gal., (17) 3 foot bottomless ones, (and 23 raised beds, 6 on legs).

The reason I was so interested in that book is I also find self-watering containers work better and are absolutely fool proof. However you have got to set it up exactly according to the instructions. Once you do that all you have to do is water, never fertilize again after that initial set-up. Perfect for the beginner.

I love Earthboxes and have made the home-made ones too. Earthboxes may be expensive but I know they will last a long time. Can't remember exactly but think my oldest ones are at least 8 years old. The plastic storage ones deteriorate in the sun faster. Still it is a good option as you can make self-watering containers cheap.

That said I still love my 28 'regular' pots as I like messing around with them-trying different fert., amendments, magic potions, etc.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
Old February 25, 2006   #5
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

That is quite the impressive collection of containers! Is that because you have issues with your soil? I get nematodes here so I have gone with raised beds and half-buried 18-gallon rubbermaid totes. And I have an assortment of 16-18" pots (14).

I'm going to do a container comparison test too. It'll be homemade Earthbox vs GSC self-watering containers (the 12" deep ones). I look forward to hearing the results of your tests.

I've got some GSC small hanging baskets too. They have been great for bacopa and alyssum. I also have a few topsy-turvys. Based on my experience I don't recommend them for tomatoes. Works great for long vines if you plant from the top.

Chris
cthomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #6
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Chris, nematodes are a huge problem in Florida. I have raised beds to help combat them and grow nematicidal cover crops. I have only had them in a few containers--I have a camp stove--I boil a gigantic pot of water and poured in the containers, covered with heavy plastic to keep the steam/heat in-- replanted and had no problems. Unfortunately , burned up all the beneficial soil microbes too but it was the only way to get rid of them.

I got one of those 12" deep ones too from G.S.--looking forward to using it. Good luck with your garden!

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker