Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 18, 2009   #16
BattleOfBennington
Tomatovillian™

Thats what mine did a couple years ago.

It grew down, but the side branches and leaves would turn up.

Mine grew about 6ft in length.

Just be sure to water 2x to 3x a day when it gets hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymaterjuice View Post
To help prove Ted's point I have taken an updated picture since yesterday when I first planted in the topsy turvy. As you can see the plants are turning up toward the sun like Ted mentioned. It has only been 1 day since they were set out. I will try to post more pics. later on in the growing process. Cheers to everyone!!
BattleOfBennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009   #17
kymaterjuice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleOfBennington View Post
Thats what mine did a couple years ago.

It grew down, but the side branches and leaves would turn up.

Mine grew about 6ft in length.

Just be sure to water 2x to 3x a day when it gets hotter.
Hi BattleOfBennington. Did you have several tomatos on yours and did you have overall good luck with your topsy turvy? I have always been skeptical of "As Seen On TV" products and commericals. Seems like they can legally lie about their product. Anyway I'll see how my 2 topsy turvys go and I will give an honest report back so everyone can learn. Have a good growing season. Cheers!!
kymaterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009   #18
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Kymater,
What variety of tomatoes did you plant in the topsy turvy's?
Old May 19, 2009   #19
kymaterjuice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
Kymater,
What variety of tomatoes did you plant in the topsy turvy's?
I'm not really sure. i saved seed from a tomato that a friend gave me last year. They are supposed to be some kind of an Australian tomato. They get really big and are reported to be very good. Sorry I can't be more specific. If they do good I will take a picture when they get ripe so you can see , If I can remember. Cheers my friend!
Old May 19, 2009   #20
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone ever noticed that the tomato plants in the Topsy Turvey infomercial are not turning their leaves and stem tips upward toward where the sun should have been while they were outside?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yup, I bet they put a big plant in it just in time for the photo shoot.

I do quite a few hanging baskets in my greenhouse and even with varieties that are supposed to just "hang", many of them will turn upward after the branch drops downward.

When some of my customers ask me about the Topsy-Turvy, I often mention that people I know are finding out that the bag doesn't last for the whole season. Then I tell them about trying it with just a 5 gal bucket. Most go away happy with the new idea and feel like they may have saved themselves some cash in the process. Even a brand new bucket is less than $5 and most people can find used buckets for free or cheap.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009   #21
BattleOfBennington
Tomatovillian™

In 2 hangers - I had a Rutgers in each - heavy production.
1 hanger - I had 2 Riesttraubs - Heavy Production
1 hanger - 1 Cherry tomato - moderate production

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymaterjuice View Post
Hi BattleOfBennington. Did you have several tomatos on yours and did you have overall good luck with your topsy turvy? I have always been skeptical of "As Seen On TV" products and commericals. Seems like they can legally lie about their product. Anyway I'll see how my 2 topsy turvys go and I will give an honest report back so everyone can learn. Have a good growing season. Cheers!!
BattleOfBennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009   #22
kymaterjuice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleOfBennington View Post
In 2 hangers - I had a Rutgers in each - heavy production.
1 hanger - I had 2 Riesttraubs - Heavy Production
1 hanger - 1 Cherry tomato - moderate production
Thanks Battle for the report. Did your topsy turvy bags hold up good and did you reuse them? i have heard reports that the bags don't hold up good and they deteriorate.
Old May 21, 2009   #23
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

I just received one as a gift from my brother, I'm going to try it, just not too sure where I'm going to hang it. I've got one black cherry thats going in it. Ought to be interesting to see the outcome,

Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009   #24
kymaterjuice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta View Post
I just received one as a gift from my brother, I'm going to try it, just not too sure where I'm going to hang it. I've got one black cherry thats going in it. Ought to be interesting to see the outcome,

Alberta
Hi Alberta,
Be sure to take before and after pictures and report back with your results. That is what I am planning to do. Good luck with your topsy turvy.

KMJ
Old June 14, 2009   #25
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

I really do need to get a few pictures of the plant I have growing in the topsy turvey. With all the rain we have had here, I have to say that the black cherry in there looks healthier than the ones in the ground. Go figure, I haven't fertilized any yet, I'm guessing that the topsy turvey is warming up faster than the ground soil, and that may be why it looks better. In all honesty I too think its a novelty and am not expecting much from the topsy turvey planter. Its not something I would have bought, LOL

Alberta
Old June 14, 2009   #26
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'm interested in hearing progress on the Black Cherry. I have one growing in a pot here in Ohio and it's already over 5 feet tall! How high do you have it hanging?
Old June 15, 2009   #27
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

Barb
I have it hanging from a small wooden deck by my pool, its over 6 foot high, but with the topsy turvey hanging there, the plant only has about 4 foot to grow down before it will surely have to grow back up again. I'll try to get a picture soon, then will have to figure out how to post the picture here.
Alberta
Old June 16, 2009   #28
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

Where do I find how to post a few pictures?

Alberta
Old June 16, 2009   #29
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Basically, click on the GO ADVANCED function button when you use the reply box, and then scroll down to ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS

There is a "sticky post" in the Photo Gallery forum that explains how to add photos.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ictures+how+to

Beyond basics, that thread has some finer points on moving pictures around in the text, I'll have to go back and review it myself for next time!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2009   #30
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

Two shots of my topsy turvey black cherry tomato plant. Hopefully I did this uploading thing correctly.

Alberta
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Topsy Turvey, Black Cherry Plant 001.jpg (350.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Topsy Turvey, Black Cherry Plant 011.JPG (426.4 KB, 132 views)