Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 6, 2016   #1
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Default Bad soil test results, need some help with amendments

I did a rapitest on my garden today with some bad results. Ive heard it said on forums they arent accurate, but UC Davis ag tested is against their labs and it was >90% accurate.

Soil ended up being N depleted, super excessive P, deficient K. My soil is clay amended with Kellogg Amend (rice hulls, compost, manure), a little wood chips, and worm castings, which I amended about 3 weeks ago. My preference is to keep the garden organic if possible. I also have seedlings (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, melons) growing that will be ready for transplant in 3-4 weeks.

My plan is to use blood meal and kelp for N. My garden is 24 square feet, so 5 oz blood meal and 2.5 lbs kelp now which should give me a nice quick and slow hit of N. 1oz blood meal at plantimg in 4 weeks and every 3-4 weeks after.

Do I need to worry about my plants burning from that much blood meal?

For K I'm planning on using 1.25 oz potassium sulfate. I have no clue about its release rate though and if I need to reapply during the season.

I'm also unsure how deep to work these into the soil?

Does this sound good? I've also thought about using espoma palm tone (4-1-5) during the season. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160305_222701_001~2.jpg (225.3 KB, 165 views)
marc108 is offline   Reply With Quote