Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 20, 2013   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default 275 gallon water barrel

Folks, I wanted to give you a link to what we are using here in Atlanta for water storage, rather than small rain barrels. I have a linked system of these that adds up to over 600 gallons of rain water.

These originally were used for soap, but the ones I use were used for food grade vinegar that is used to clean poultry houses, so anywhere you have a poultry industry, you should be able to find these.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/4198733043.html
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2013   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've been using them for 3 years now, and they work great. After putting a piece of screen over the main fill hole, I used PVC and routed the output of my gutters to one of them and then tied two together with some PVC and drain adapters down at the outputs. The one input fills both up when the rain comes. I put a standard hose fitting (male) and just syphon water down to my garden when needed.

These types of containers can be found in sizes from ~275 gallons up to ~330 gallons. Clean them out each spring with some bleach and put a bit of antifungal in the stored water a couple of time each season.

You can also add in some liquid fertilizer if you're careful not to use too much on your plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25May2012q.JPG (415.8 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 25May2012r.JPG (315.3 KB, 197 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2013   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

One more tip - you can keep the water cleaner if you spray paint them with a dark color. I used green. This reduces sunlight in the water, and reduces algae growth. In fact, I had zero algae growth this year.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013   #4
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Ive seen them around here,and there is one at the community garden where I joined this summer. Saw them for sale too, but closer to 75 dollars. Couldn't you just put a tarp over the container for protection? Barry
Barryblushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The last time I checked around here, you could get one delivered to the house for ~$35.00. I am blessed that both of mine were free, or at least no money changed hands. I traded some plants for one and the other was given to me for watching over the back pasture and running off the dogs that were chasing cattle.

It rained so much here this past year that I didn't use any water from my two. They filled up back in April and stayed that way until late-September when I drained them for the winter. They sit in the shade of a huge white pine tree. Before draining, I checked them and had absolutely no algae. Still, I put a gallon of bleach in each one and let them sit for 48 hours before finally opening the valve and draining them.

Barry, I think a tarp, especially a dark one, or black plastic and an annual bleaching would probably eliminate all concerns about algae - even in warmer places.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013   #6
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Great tanks

I also use them and add my fertilizer right in the tank. I use a Aquatec pump with a bladder, and have ran lines all over my greenhouse. You can use faucets in many locations and also can convert to drips in others. I go through a tank of water daily, so there is no chance for fungus to build up, and I also take an oar and stir the water a couple of times a day.
Worked so good I am going to do the same system in other greenhouses. This is also a great system for northern gardeners as a mean to temper cold ground water, which plants hate, at least Alaska's groundwater at 45 degrees
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013   #7
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

That's a nice setup Ted. I collect in 55 gallon plastic drums,but agree with all the rain this summer, rarely had to even water. The woman that bought the one like yours,didnt listen to me about covering it up.Sure enough after about two or so weeks,the water came out slimey.It sat in direct sunlight,all day. I took my own jugs over there, and didn't use that water.Then ,she asks me how come I don't use that water? lol Barry
Barryblushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013   #8
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Great thread Scott, I have 2 of these. Been using them for the past 3 summers. My totes had molasses in them when I got them so, I cleaned them out with my hp spray. When I set them up, I removed the jugs and wrapped them up like presents with 6mil black plastic sheeting (for UV and algae protection) then dropped them back into their frames and bolted the crossbars back down. I have mine on concrete blocks and pallets. Each one weighs well over a ton when full. I piped them in with 2" PVC, and I drain and leave all the valves half open (45* angle) in late fall. It does get cold enough here so that I need to bring in all my brass monkeys for the winter.

Now, for this coming spring, I have a pump and pressure tank hooked up...oh yeah!
I have the, pump, pressure tank, pressure switch and piping all ready to go. The wiring needs to be done, and the float switch must be set up to shut off the pump when the supply tanks (they're piped together at the bottom) get near empty. This way I won't run the pump dry and burn it up. Also, I'll want to set up a timer, and moisture sensor. Maybe that sounds like a little much, but so do the rest of my hair brained schemes, which usually work.

These totes are great for many projects. Fill one of these babies with wort, and use it as a fermenter. I've seen (on the net) somewhere, someone was cutting them down and making raised beds out of them. Re-use, re-purpose, re-cycle, Melt it down, start all over again!
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013   #9
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Got worms
Quick note. Ball valves don't like being left half open, the corner of ball at flow port can damage the seat/ seal. 30+ in the valve ind.
Do love this setup, found some close by on craigslist at $80 think I'll keep looking
Mike
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013   #10
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

$100 plus delivery in Raleigh!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2013   #11
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Smithma, Ball valves have an inherent flaw as there is a space adjacent the ball which will lock in a small amount of water and crack open it's body should it freeze in either the open or closed position, even after being drained. Look here.
Brass and stainless steel valves are the worst offenders. Some high end plastic BV's (for industrial usage) have a moulded rubber insert and may avoid this problem, but at a very high cost.

I'm just trying to pass on info that will help others, and maybe save someone the aggravation of having to replace one or more valves in the spring. I'm trying not to break your ball valves.
Old November 25, 2013   #12
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tank

Here's a pic how I set mine up for warm water
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0470 120.jpg (345.9 KB, 178 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #13
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Pressure system:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2136.JPG (79.8 KB, 115 views)