Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 22, 2014   #1
RT_Peasant
Tomatovillian™

Default Taste of container-grown tomatoes?

I'm curious what your experience has been with the taste of container-grown tomatoes vs. in-ground tomatoes. In my limited experience with containers (5 plants), the container-grown tomatoes taste much better than in-ground tomatoes.

The difference was most pronounced with cherry tomatoes. Last year, I grew 5 grape tomatoes in the ground, and 2 grape tomatoes in containers. All but one were the same variety, Santa. The container-grown tomatoes were half the size, but tasted like candy. The in-ground tomatoes were big, watery and bland. (See picture, in-ground on left, container-grown on right)

I've also grown Bloody Butcher, Rutgers, and Cherokee Purple in containers. Again, the container-grown tomatoes were much smaller and much less productive, but the taste was much more concentrated.

FWIW, my containers are top-watered, and the plants tend to be very small and stressed. I'm starting to think that's a good thing if you care more about flavor than productivity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grapescomparison.jpg (34.8 KB, 420 views)
RT_Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I had a similar experience this past summer. My (5) container-grown cherry tomatoes were all excellent whereas the 9 cherry varieties that I grew in the ground couldn't hold a candle to them taste-wise.

I think watering has something to do with it. We cannot control the amount of rain that falls, but we can control how much water the containers get.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #3
Tawnykay
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing tomato plants and produce for so long that the name I was given by our customers at our local farmers market was Tomato Lady. This part of the country is not prime conditions for growing tomatoes, but, I have found many ways to compensate and get the earliest, most flavorful and productive ones around. Container growing of most tomato plants is intensive at best. I still do it in pots and have had the same results as you. Tomato plants don't like the Bonsai style of living. The fruit does everything you described because of the tight quarters, the up and down in moister levels (stress), condensed food supply or no food added and the intense heat at the root zone (root ball) from sun hitting the side of the pots. Also, stress from drying winds. That's a lot for our tomato babies to deal with and still look and do their best. If anyone would like to know how I compensate just ask.
Tawnykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think too much water is the answer to bland tomatoes.
during the end of growing season I tend to neglect to watering and the tomatoes are stressed.
What they give me is a very tasty tomato.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

My experience has always been the opposite -- better taste in-ground.

But, I think Worth is right, it is mainly an issue of "over-watering"

Out here, in our dry summers, it is very hard to keep tomatoes in containers alive without over-watering (because you need to soak your container tomatoes every day or they will dry out too much). And it is also easy to allow plants in the ground to grow under drier conditions. It doesn't rain in the summer, so there is no risk of over-watering by rain, and in ground tomatoes can be dried out well, without risk of killing them.

That said, I can see how in moister climates, it would be easier to keep tomatoes drier in containers with good drainage, and harder to control "over-watering" by summer rains.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think good soil should out-perform any container mix in regard to flavor, at least in my climate.

I grew Dwarf Tasmanian Chocolate in 4-gallon pots last summer, and they were the best container tomato I've ever had. The mix was basic pro-mix with simple chem fertilizer. That was the first container plant I've grown that rivaled the flavor of soil tomatoes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #7
RT_Peasant
Tomatovillian™

Cole, have you grown the same varieties in containers and in the ground? Just curious as to whether variety played a role in your soil tomatoes tasting better than your container tomatoes.

I picked up a dozen 15 gallon black plastic containers this past fall, and I'm thinking about growing most of my tomatoes in containers. Or at least all of my cherries.
Old December 22, 2014   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_Peasant View Post
Cole, have you grown the same varieties in containers and in the ground? Just curious as to whether variety played a role in your soil tomatoes tasting better than your container tomatoes.

I picked up a dozen 15 gallon black plastic containers this past fall, and I'm thinking about growing most of my tomatoes in containers. Or at least all of my cherries.
I will pass this along.
I think a raised bed is more or less a container depending what you use for soil.

One of our members lived 12 miles north of me and hers were in raised beds.
I on the other hand at the time had mine in improved native soil that was much like her soil.

We both grew the same tomatoes from the same seeds.
Mine went through some stress and hers were watered all of the time.

Her tomatoes were fantastic but I liked the flavor of mine better.
The flavor was just more intense.

Some store bought soil for containers has little or no real soil in it.

What I mean by that is there are little or no minerals in this type of soil you would find here on earth in the ground.
At least I think not I may be wrong, it is just my perception.

Sure the plants will grow but to me the taste isn't there.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I grow tomatoes both in pots and in the ground. I find the best flavour in my in ground garden tomatoes but I grow my cherries in big pots on the deck where they are handy for picking. I think they taste great too. I think choice of fertilizer has an effect as well. My in ground tomatoes are grown organically in natural clay-loam soil with added compost, manure and blood and bone meal. The for my pots I use compost and a slow release granular organic product. I do still use the blue stuff for my seedlings due to the 100% reliability but once they are planted out, I no longer use that type of soluble fertilizer. I used to use it, all the time for my potted tomatoes, but for the last few years I find my potted tomatoes taste better to me using the natural ferts. Certainly water has a lot to do with it as well and I also water my pots daily in summer
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #10
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I grow in pots in a greenhouse and most are good flavored, while some have very profound tomato taste, I cannot imagine some being much better anywhere. I can control my environment, and it does make a difference, over watering ruins a good tomato if it is on the heavy side.
I also grow a few outside, they are good too if it doesn't rain too much.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #11
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

If you are using a quality soil out of a bag it has all the nutrients necessary to grow flavored tomatoes. Unless you have invested the time and effort into your ground soil the maters will never taste as good.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #12
RT_Peasant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think a raised bed is more or less a container depending what you use for soil.
When I refer to my in-ground tomatoes, I'm actually talking about a raised bed. It's 10-12" deep and 5' across, with hard-packed native soil below it. It has clay soil that has been heavily amended over the years, and it's now a fairly spongy, rich soil. My tomato plants get huge. Lots of green foliage and generally heavy fruit production with over-sized tomatoes. But the majority of my tomatoes are bland. A lot are mealy, and those that aren't mealy tend to be watery. I get just the occasional winner from these plants.

By contrast, my container-grown plants have been tiny (3' or less), with sparse foliage, and relatively few tomatoes. The tomatoes are tiny by comparison, but they taste like candy.

Conventional wisdom says that big healthy plants with a lot of leaves produce the best tasting tomatoes, but I've had the opposite experience. Big, healthy plants seem to produce big, watery tomatoes for me.

I tried eliminating all supplemental watering this year from July 4th on. The first batch of tomatoes that I got were definitely better tasting than in previous years, but then the plants completely shut down. No new fruit set, and the greenies stopped ripening until after Labor Day. I may have overshot the mark with my attempt at dry farming.
Old December 22, 2014   #13
Tawnykay
Tomatovillian™

Next time stop or slow down on a lot of watering about the end of Aug., if it's not too hot out. The plants will be stressed and go to ripening all those green tomatoes before the "Fall Crud" sets in about late Sept.or Oct. Did you know that, if your plants are clear of diseases you can pull the whole plant up and hang it in a garage where it's dry. The fruit will ripen gradually into the winter. I pull all the leaves off then hang them. I've had ripe tomatoes into early Feb doing this. My garage doesn't freeze at all.
Tawnykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_Peasant View Post
I've grown Early Girl in buckets, and then had them from the outdoor soil garden a month later, and the bucket tomatoes were noticeably weaker-tasting.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2014   #15
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

RT...I think you have done your homework...and you have "comparison shopped" quite well. My advice to you is: trust your research and what works for you. I have only been seriously growing maters for 2-3 years (seriously). I have concerns about a couple of "facts" that are presented above. However, there are many variables in growing out fruit and veges. One persons' results can certainly be different from another's. I have had very tasty maters grown in my containers. I have had crappy ones too. This is exactly what keeps us crazy loons in pursuit...
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote