Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 28, 2015   #31
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Joseph,
What is the temperature difference between your warm and cool fields? Are the colors of the peas different between the 2 fields?

Thanks,
Charley

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
About 8 plants in my warmer field produced red edible-podded peas. I aughta make time this week to walk through the colder field and taste pods from each plant.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #32
HCWithAltitude
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
The peas in the warmer field are maturing nicely. There are lots of edible-pod peas showing up. I've been tasting pods from each plant as they mature.
Oooh, your purple pea plants are much taller than the ones I have. I purchased the Merlot snow peas from some random ebay place. The peas are nice, but the plants are very short and don't produce a whole lot.

I will watch your progress on the red pod peas with great anticipation.

HWA
HCWithAltitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #33
joseph
Tomatovillian™

My cooler field is about 600 feet higher in elevation than the warmer field. That means about 4 weeks shorter frost-free season, and about 5 degrees F lower temperatures. I'd be better off as a tomato farmer if I found a larger field in the warmer valley.

I made a cross this summer between my red-podded peas and something with shorter vines. I prefer to grow short peas, because then I don't feel so much peer-pressure to build trellises.

The peas in the warmer field were my most select and best reds from previous years, so the population was predominately red and not much yellow. However, the colder field gets lots of sunlight, and the warmer field is shaded, and the peas develop more color earlier in brighter sunlight. So it's about a wash either way.

Last edited by joseph; June 29, 2015 at 12:09 AM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #34
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Just beautiful Joseph! Fascinating how you are transcending not only the color but the type of pea in your breeding. Our grandchildren will shake their heads when they hear back in the olden days we only had green peas.

Only one crop for you? This is my first year growing peas. Sugar Ann from Johnnys and Dwarf Grey Sugar from Baker Creek. I'm placing an order for more from Johnnys for a second crop. I hope there is enough time.

-Lisa

BAH to peer pressure - both varities did fine with a short cheap garden fence for support. No fancy trellis needed, the produce inspires more than than the garden design.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; June 29, 2015 at 10:23 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #35
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Today I threshed the red-podded peas from the warmer field. I found five red-podded snap pea plants, one yellow podded snap pea plant, and one yellow snow pea plant. Then I saved the red-podded fibrous peas and called them "soup peas".

I'm not targeting yellow peas, but the yellow snow peas tasted great! And how could I not save seed from a yellow sugar snap pea?

Seed counts were low, because these were grown in competition with tree roots and in the shade.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #36
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Fingers crossed for better seed crop in the next season. Red and yellow snaps sound sooo good

Today I have checked my crosses, and I think I have a little success, 1 f1 plant is purple podded and the type of pod I want... I have crossed yellowx green too, but all the pods are green, I guess I have to wait one more generation..
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #37
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

I thought i had posted a copy here, but it looks like i didn't. In anticipation for 2017 i will post some pictures from 2016. I'm hoping to do a big pea growout this year. Here's hoping i get some really good yellow and reds.

I'm also hoping to do a cross between yellow podded and the orange-pod gene, i'm hoping if that cross is successful that in the F2 i will get a true dark golden-podded pea, which in theory could also help create a more red red-podded pea. In theory anyway. Only one way to find out. But the orange-pod gene is supposedly tied to fiber, so if that is true sadly those pods will probably never be snow or snap peas. Still might be cool though.

This first photo is actually from 2015, but it's one of the better photos i have, so i'm including it.

2016:

And this one looked like a snap pea, but it had a nice yellow coat with pink speckles. It was particularly charming even though the speckling was hard to notice.

Last edited by Keen101; February 11, 2017 at 05:51 PM.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote