Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 5, 2007   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden Midget Watermelon

I'm interested in growing this one and wondering what you thought if you've grown it. Thanks!
Old March 5, 2007   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Never grown it but long time ago I grew a real small one called Jenny Lind, it was green fleshed and great. Also grew one called Ogden, an Israeli melon, great also.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've grown Jenny Lind twice and liked it very much. I am going to run this little watermelon up a trellis and see how it does. For a green fleshed melon, I'm trying Green Climbing this year and using a trellis for this too. I hope they do well. Both these little melons are supposed to have a rind that turns yellow when ripe so I'm hoping the picking thing will pretty much be a no brainer. It's been several years since I've grown any melons at all and this will be the first time in my small garden. I used to have more room but then we put in a pool so my garden shrunk a lot. I've grown Jenny Lind on a trellis with good success because it has sort of a short vine and trellising is really the only way I can fit melons into this garden, being as small as it is. Just an experiment for fun. I think my son will enjoy it, too.
Old March 12, 2007   #4
MtnMaters
Tomatovillian™

Location: East TN weedpatch.... I know I planted some tomatoes in here!

I tried GM last year, great germination, the plants would take off, stall, turn yellow and die. I did several sowings throughout the season and got similar results, but will be trying again this year. I have read it does well in containers, and I have a spare 25 gallon this season since the weatherman predicted an overnight low of 44 and instead it dropped to 21 and killed my 3-in-1 citrus that i had just picked my first harvest from. I believe I will try the GMs in this container this year with as much compost as i can add without getting compaction. It looks too pretty to not give a second chance.
Asahi-Miyako F1 was the only melon that produced well for me last year, due to a late start and cold soil, and it was heavenly, super-sweet and crisp. A fantastic small watermelon.

Last edited by MtnMaters; March 12, 2007 at 02:16 AM.
MtnMaters is offline   Reply With Quote