Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old August 27, 2006   #1
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Default Question for the flower freaks out there!

I just redid a flower bed in front of my mom's house this afternoon, and wound up digging up a bunch of day lily bulbs. They didn't look good in that spot, but they have been consistantly healthy and happy (and multiplying like rabbits!) for two years, and I don't want to get rid of them. Unfortunately, I haven't actually figured out where else to plant them. What's the best way to store them, and how long can I do so without killing them? Right now they're in plastic bags in the garage.

Thanks,
Denna
TheDens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2006   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Aren't they supposed to go thru a freezing cycle to flower next season?

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Denna,

Plant the divisions NOW, and ASAP.

I used to have over 100 different daylily cultivars and bred them for quite a few years.

If you've left the bulbs attached to the dead foliage, which you should have done, they will store for several months, but I wouldn't keep them over the winter.

There's time now for them to get settled in and so do it NOW. Just ignore where you might want to put them, get them in now and decide and move them next year.

Carolyn
Old August 28, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Hmmm...

Interesting. I have daylillies. And what else have you been into, Carolyn? Plantwise, that is...

I like roses, too, and salvias, and franjipanis, and bulbs in general, and citrus, and camelias and azaleas and have the world's boldest specimen of a tibouchina or lasiandra in the front garden, and this and that.

I wish I had more strawberries.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2006   #5
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. The bulbs are now buried in a random patch of dirt till I figure out a more permanant spot for them.
So while I'm at it... how much shade can day lilies tolerate? There's a lot of dappled shade on this property, but obviously I don't want to put them where they won't really thrive.
Old August 28, 2006   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This should help
http://tinyurl.com/kgeqv

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2006   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

In a southern climate, I've found that daylilies will tolerate quite a bit of shade to the point where they could easily be considered a part-shade plant.

[Hope things get better for you soon -- a sense of humor is always a positive, and you seem to have one (don't ever lose it). You're in my thoughts.]
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2006   #8
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Useful site, Worth, thanks.
And not to worry, Suze, things are going okay at the moment. They'd be going better if I could find a job (apparently nobody wants to hire a stay at home mom who hasn't worked in years ), but I'm getting used to things and working with what I've got. And yeah, the sense of humor's still intact. My son is a total clown and won't let me go more than a few hours without cracking up at something he's said or done.