Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 13, 2018   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

First off here is a list you can look through and do some research etc. Few years old now though, but easy to find if something better has replaced it.

http://ipm.uconn.edu/documents/raw2/...lantsfinal.pdf

I live in South Carolina as well so disease is a given. Last year I sprayed every single week + after every rain, sometimes even in between storms. I had been telling myself that if I just sprayed every time I should I could finally keep my plants alive till frost (which never happens here). Well I didn't (a few...like 5) so tbh, and I mean brutally honest, w/o using something "bad" you likely wont eliminate disease issues. Even in my GH I have had issues. Not as bad but still, its not like a magical shield around them like I had dreamed. The most effective products I have used are Surround - dip your transplants in this combined with (2) Bacillus amyloliquefaciens and repeat after rains.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VXQG23O...a-311792278991
I keep trying new things every year, I will probably buy some really expensive commercial organic type of product this year. At this point I'd prolly pay $500 for a bottle of something that 100% worked.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #17
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Here are some trial results as well

https://blogs.cornell.edu/livegpath/...tx-11euvw8.pdf
Old January 13, 2018   #18
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I have now seen two different folks say they use Surround on tomatoes to battle diseases. What is the foundation for that use? I use it for insect control on various things, especially apple trees, grape vines, and cucurbits, but have never heard that it has any antifungal properties. Or is it just the hope that if you control insects better, you control disease spread a bit better?
Always anxious to learn...
Shawn
Old January 13, 2018   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I have now seen two different folks say they use Surround on tomatoes to battle diseases. What is the foundation for that use? I use it for insect control on various things, especially apple trees, grape vines, and cucurbits, but have never heard that it has any antifungal properties. Or is it just the hope that if you control insects better, you control disease spread a bit better?
Always anxious to learn...
Shawn
Yea its just to keep bugs off. I feel like maybe it provides some protection against fungal as well, but that is just my gut. Oh and it helps with even ripening and prevents heat stress, which here happens a lot. So Its kinda like preventing stress, which should keep the plant stronger overall.

Last edited by BigVanVader; January 13, 2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old January 13, 2018   #20
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, will save me some money.Agree with you , the copper and Daconil appear to be best weapons.Do you do any additional foliar spraying or feeding?Compost tea or something of that type??
Thanks for info.
rick
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote