Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 16, 2018   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Hi John - I may have been the one to share Taos Trail with you. It is in fact determinate. I got it from Val McMurray back in '09. I also have seeds for Taos Trail 1, same description: large round red, determinate. That one may have been something they were working on...
Thank you. I tend to have a hard time remembering my seed sources. Taos Trail seems like a real workhorse of a variety. I think it has potential, especially in a market garden.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Maglia Rosa, Cole, and Sol Guld (I was misspelling that sol gold for a while) have all been good to me. I have an early red saladette called Aura that I like, and another early red called Agatha. I think both have Soviet origins.

Mat-Su Express is just as early as most of my determinates. I also like Babushkin Potseluy. It reminds me of a yellow Mat-Su. 100 Pudov is another early variety that was a good market tomato for me. It has a unique wrinkled shoulder look.

Someone on here shared a variety they call Taos Trail with me. It shows a lot of promise as an all-purpose red tomato for market. It was fairly compact, can't remember if it was determinate or not. The flavor was as good as Big Beef and the yield was excellent.

And yes, I have seeds if anyone wants some. Be advised, I also have soil disease. I don't seem to have it in my seeds, though. They are processed in Oxy Clean, and I sell and give away a couple thousand plants every spring, all to good reviews.
Cole, can you tell me if Babushkin Potseluy is determinate?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #18
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

I had very good production from a determinate called Red Rocket a couple of years ago. It was the earliest in my fall garden that year and the taste was comparable to Break O' Day. Got the seed from Tomato Growers Supply. I went back to Break O' Day to string out production a little bit but Red Rocket is worth a trial.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Silvery Fir Tree for years and i am growing it again. It has always been my earliest.
It is very very compact. I always grow it in 4-5 gallon container.
But the fruits are tangy. But that is fine insalads , cooking. It is also very productive. Plus, its carrot leaves are ornamental.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #20
edweather
Tomatovillian™

How about Rutgers? I actually bought one this year to get a jump on the season here in hot humid southeast GA. Golf ball sized green ones at this point, and it will hopefully be done by June 1. I love 'em.
Old March 26, 2018   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
How about Rutgers? I actually bought one this year to get a jump on the season here in hot humid southeast GA. Golf ball sized green ones at this point, and it will hopefully be done by June 1. I love 'em.
Ed you have golf ball tomatoes, already ? If that is the case you should get ripe one by the end of April or early May , at the lates

Happy Gardening !
Old March 26, 2018   #22
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Van, try the one I introduced a couple years ago - Kodiak Brown. You'll love the production for market sales and the taste is definitely what you're looking for. It should be marketed for salad lovers. It also has good "counter time".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #23
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Ed you have golf ball tomatoes, already ? If that is the case you should get ripe one by the end of April or early May , at the lates
Hopefully you are right. I was thinking a full 60 days or so from fruit set, but probably a bit faster down here. An April tomato would be awesome. Had one last year, but it was a Stupice, and they are very early. Thanks, Ed
Old April 7, 2018   #24
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Hopefully you are right. I was thinking a full 60 days or so from fruit set, but probably a bit faster down here. An April tomato would be awesome. Had one last year, but it was a Stupice, and they are very early. Thanks, Ed
Yes, Ed. Down south fruits mature much faster than in NY.
There has been a timeline which stated it take about 45 days from mature bud to ripe tomato. Add or take few days depending on variey and fruit size.
Couple my own tomatos have flowrs :

Indigo Rose Silvery Fir Tree, Sara Black IS PL. Those were planted out less than 2 weeks ago. But my seedlings were of good sized , sowed Feb 1st.

Happy Gardening !
Old April 7, 2018   #25
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Most seeds I get from cooler climates just don't do well here. As soon as it gets hot, which can be as early as mid April, they drop flowers and in general stop producing/growing.
Yep, Southern summer heat will kill pollen. I'm now growing my tomatoes in buckets up here at the house since there's a tomato problem in the garden soil. Since tomatoes need a minimum of about six hours of sun, they're now located at the side of the house that gets summer sun until about 3:30-4pm. That means shade during the hottest part of the day and they've been doing a lot better as far as blossom drop goes.

A link on temp/pollen from my bookmarks:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...fo_tomtemp.htm
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote