Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old April 4, 2013   #16
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

Usually I stick to Basil(regular and Thai), Rosemary and Oregano. This year, I'm growing a few herbs I hadn't before. I'm adding Thyme and Dill for sure, might add another like lavender or sage if I have the room.

I have given up on Cilantro as well after several unsuccessful attempts.
Old April 5, 2013   #17
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Can't live without Basil, Parsley, thyme (lemon is my favorite), Italian Oregano, spearmint, orange mint, sage and lemongrass and chives. I have lemon balm growing like weeds here, sage too, and my rosemary is still in the ground from last year, big surprise. I also like chocolate mint, and have lots of peppermint here.

WILD ONIONS grow everywhere, and I cannot get rid of them. Last weekend I dug all of them up where I found them, and tonight found many more clumps. Can I eat them? lol. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, eh?

I buy Lemongrass every year and try to bring it in for part of winter, I love it . Unfortunately, my tuxedo cat has a huge appetite for the stuff too. He won't touch the cat grass I grow for him, he wants lemongrass.

This year I'm trying Chamomile, Marjoram, Summer Savory. I use Basil and Parsley the most, wish they grew year round.

I think the trick with cilantro is to just keep it picked as much as you can as fast as you can and keep sowing. I never get the big leaves the grocery store has, but with lots of plants, I can get some decent harvests.
Old April 6, 2013   #18
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I have really gotten into fresh herbs in the last few years and now have quite a few of them. In perennials, there's rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, garlic chives, sage, pineapple sage, peppermint, sweet mint, lemon balm, lemon verbena, tarragon, and stevia. (although the stevia may just reseed. Whatever it does, it came back!) I'm also planning to try horseradish this year.

As for annuals (although I believe parsley is actually a biannual), there are parsley (flat and curly) Italian basil, lemon basil, and dill.(maybe) While I, too, have given up on cilantro, apparently it hasn't given up on me. Last year it appeared on the edge of my garden. Ironically, those plants lasted longer and did better than any I had ever planted on purpose. Go figure!

Honestly, now that I have them, I still need to do a little research so that I'll know how to use them better. For instance, I rarely use the sage or tarragon because I don't really know what to do with it. And I haven't used the Stevia at all because I haven't taken the time to figure it all out.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #19
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I always grow genovese basil and some sort of red basil, usually amethyst. I have a great stand of Kentucky Colonel spearmint named "Mo" since I grow it for mojitoes, and to make mint jelly for lamb. Chives, rosemary I use a lot. I also have thyme, and usually plant oregano and sage. And a few of whatever else strike my fancy to fill out the area.