Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 20, 2019   #16
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Another +1 for Victory seeds and Tomato Growers Supply

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019   #17
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

In addiition to Victory, I have used sample seed shop, Reimer Seeds, TGS and tomatofest. I did have one problem with germination from Tomatofest but most have been fine. Victory, Reimer and TGS have been my favorites. Sample Seed Shop is great when you don't need a lot of seeds and it keeps the cost down of ordering a larger variety of seeds instead of larger quantities of each.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019   #18
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

baker creek,free shipping
you can order 1 packet of seeds and the shipping is still free plus they throw in free seeds as a gift.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019   #19
tomatoaddict

I guarantee the pureness of the seed we sell. Everything grown in tunnels so the risk of disease and cross pollination is pretty much zip. I’ve had many a problem in the past with varieties I’ve gotten not being correct usually from trades or a source I wasn’t familiar with. Nothing worse than an imposter showing up in the garden when you were excited for something else.
Old May 24, 2019   #20
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
baker creek,free shipping
you can order 1 packet of seeds and the shipping is still free plus they throw in free seeds as a gift.
The free shipping is great, but I've had 5 packets of seeds out of maybe 30-40 packs total not be true. Three orders total, not one of them perfect... In one case they were not only the wrong variety but the wrong species! Not good enough. That third order a couple years ago was probably my last.
Old May 24, 2019   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
I guarantee the pureness of the seed we sell. Everything grown in tunnels so the risk of disease and cross pollination is pretty much zip. I’ve had many a problem in the past with varieties I’ve gotten not being correct usually from trades or a source I wasn’t familiar with. Nothing worse than an imposter showing up in the garden when you were excited for something else.
100% agree.
It’s not good enough when buying seeds to “sometimes@ get what you’ve expected and paid for. I will add that I will not buy from people who cannot resist the temptation to artificially enhance colour and exaggerate descriptions.
If they can’t even tell the truth about what colour a tomato is I don’t believe anything else they say either.
Secret seed cartel is among the companies that provides beautiful realistic photos and correct variety descriptions along with crediting sources and breeders that is something I appreciate and respect.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019   #22
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

I have used Seeds N Such... they were good to me.
I don't like Baker Creek....4 bucks for a pack of seeds seems silly to me, also their farmer outfits are lame.
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019   #23
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I have purchased seeds from at least 25 sources. My favorites are Vertiloom & Heritage Seed Market.

Both have very high germination rates, a good selection & good prices.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2019   #24
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I can't see paying $3 for a packet of seeds and then $4.95 for shipping.
I normally save my own seeds but had to buy cuke and tomato seeds I no longer had.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2019   #25
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I have purchased seeds from at least 25 sources. My favorites are Vertiloom & Heritage Seed Market.

Both have very high germination rates, a good selection & good prices.

I go to the Vertiloom site, and one of the first things I see is one of "MY" tomatoes.

They list it as Blue Suede Shoes, but the name I gave it is Blue Suede-uth Shoes. I have no idea how they got seeds, or whether they have anything close to being stable.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019   #26
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I was in a similar position at one point. try the Sample Seed Shop. You get smaller amounts of each variety but at a lower price. You don't need a lot of seeds to grow a few plants and save seeds yourself.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2020   #27
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I had just looked on the Vertiloom site fornthe first time a few minutes ago and was surprised to see your tomato there Tormato. I didn't know it so I came here and tapped it in to check.. I didn't buy anything, I saw a couple of tomatoes I recognised but with different names,and when I tapped for more info I got "also known as ".

I wasn't comfortable.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2020   #28
clara
Tomatovillian™

I can recommend Mike from

https://ohioheirloomseeds.com

Mike is a member here. Reasonable prices, very fast shipping. But due to the corona crisis, he is overwhelmed with orders, so, please, give him a bit more time than usually.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2020   #29
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

Delectation of Tomatoes, etc is one of my very favorite vendors, which has yet to be mentioned. The owner is very friendly and he has a collection of genetics that is hard to beat. His prices are also among the most affordable. Excellent customer service.
NoahYates is offline   Reply With Quote