Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 19, 2012   #16
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Since YOU didn't grow any squash before, my guess is it came in with some mulch. Since some of the guesses are rather obscure varieties, I would also guess it's more likely a cross of a Delicata and ??? grown in the garden where ever it came from.

I've grown Delicata for 20+ years and it is distinctive in that it will have a lot of "silver leaf". Your pic shows a bit of silver spots. Delicata also has that black stem.

Bake or microwave the squash til it's soft all over. Taste the flesh to see if it needs much if any sugar. Some Delicatas can be quite sweet on their own. I like to add some spices like Cinnamon or Ginger or "Pumpkin Pie Spice" and maybe some raisins. Yum.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

How long do I leave them on the vine? A couple of them have completely stopped growing and they are turning a deep yellow with very dark stripes. The temps are getting really hot here now and I would hate for them to ruin after I put up with this massive vine for so long.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2012   #18
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Winter Squash can stay on the vine as long as the vine is still alive. Tho I have very different weather than you have.

The more mature they are the better they keep. the skin/rind should be rather hard. They can store for months if you have dry conditions. They often get even sweeter in storage as the starches turn to sugars.

For me, Delicatas are "ripe" when the pale greenish white stripe turns cream or yellow color. The more yellow the better.

At least that's the way they are for me.
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote