Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 22, 2016   #1
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Default Possums who steal tomatoes and the law of unintended consequences

So, I've figured out that I've got a possum who LOVES tomatoes. (He also scratched on my bedroom door just like the dog does when she wants to come in. Almost got himself let in that way one night!) He has the ability to eat tomatoes and spit out the skins. For a few weeks he's been chowing on Sungolds, clearly a favorite! I didn't like it, but with two SG plants that were prolific I still had plenty. His piles of golden skins he spits out are throughout the garden and a reminder of his nocturnal forays.

So, I thought I'd found a humane and effective tool to discourage him. Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler! Cool toy! It arrived yesterday and I set it up to go off last night. This is where the law of unintended consequences took over! I set up the motion activated sprinkler, and it worked. However, I only set it to cover the area where the possum had been eating. So, yup, last night he moved away from Sungolds and ate 2 Mar Nars and 2 JD's Special CTex, all of which had apparently just started blush. I had no idea the appetite this guy brought! All 4 of them were more than 1/2 pounders and he at 1/3 to 1/2 of all of them.

I guess I'll try to get sprinkler coverage of the entire area tonight. Maybe just put up a possums welcome here next to my sungolds!

Dewayne
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have a pit bull and another really big dog mixed breed that stay in my yard at night and they love to hunt down possums. There is usually quite a racket until they catch them but so far over the past ten years they have killed about a dozen of them and run off far more. They got a raccoon one night a few years ago also. I haven't even seen one in the back yard where my garden is located in a few years. I guess the word spread that it isn't a safe space for possums.

I wish they could get rats and squirrels which are sometimes problems but I guess they are just too small to interest them. My herd of miniature dachshunds love to chase them but the rarely ever catch anything because they can't resist warning them with their barking before attacking. They make a lot of noise but seldom with any positive results except for a few chipmunks and moles.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had a dog that never barked but would howl if I left the house without taking him.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #4
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Awesome opossum. Always have a few lurking, but they never mess with my maters - more interesting in the cat food, and the cat is worthless at protecting his bowl.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have a pit bull and another really big dog mixed breed that stay in my yard at night and they love to hunt down possums. There is usually quite a racket until they catch them but so far over the past ten years they have killed about a dozen of them and run off far more. They got a raccoon one night a few years ago also. I haven't even seen one in the back yard where my garden is located in a few years. I guess the word spread that it isn't a safe space for possums.

I wish they could get rats and squirrels which are sometimes problems but I guess they are just too small to interest them. My herd of miniature dachshunds love to chase them but the rarely ever catch anything because they can't resist warning them with their barking before attacking. They make a lot of noise but seldom with any positive results except for a few chipmunks and moles.

Bill
What you need is a cairn terrier for the rats, which is what they were bred for. They'd probably chase the squirrels, too. (Of course, your pit bull would probably eat the terrier.)
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

This thread gave me a belly-laugh this morning!!!
Sorry about your tomatoes Dewayne, but the antics of your adopted critter have to be admired.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #7
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
So, I've figured out that I've got a possum who LOVES tomatoes. (He also scratched on my bedroom door just like the dog does when she wants to come in. Almost got himself let in that way one night!) He has the ability to eat tomatoes and spit out the skins....
The squirrels do the same thing with the yellow cherry-size plums. The tree was probably planted by squirrels, and most of the plums are too high for us to reach, so they get first dibs anyway. But they do leave a mess --- pits with partially eaten plums, peels, etc. I have some compost bins under the tree, which get covered with plum peels!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #8
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

I've got possums on the prowl too. Not much damage yet only one tomato. I set up a night vision security camera so I can monitor whats going on and set traps accordingly. Last year rats were what was causing my problem. Good luck with your possum.
pixlpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting hit up every night by armadillos plowing thru the garden looking for worms and grubs. They are so well tempered and docile, I feel guilty about administering any kind of garden justice.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I'm getting hit up every night by armadillos plowing thru the garden looking for worms and grubs. They are so well tempered and docile, I feel guilty about administering any kind of garden justice.
I have them too and they really dont seem to hurt anything.
Natures little tillers.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #11
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Whaaaaat, this whole time I thought possums only ate stuff on the ground, like rotting fruit, and snails. At least that was what an LA Times article I read several years ago said. It said that any bites you see on your fruits and veggies were likely from other critters like rats or squirrels and that people assume it's the possum cuz it is often still hanging out in your garden. I've had a possum a couple of times thruout the years and during the time it was there none of my tomatoes were disturbed. Perhaps it was satisfied with the few apples on the ground that I did not clean up.
I know raccoons can pick tomatoes with its hands, I've seen it myself. They pulled up and flung several strawberry plants. Raccoon sightings are more frequent now in my flat residential urban neighborhood. We've been sharing stories about the latest escapades but it seems they moved on; maybe it's cuz coyotes have been spotted in some parts of the city.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #12
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

I read that same article peebee. That's why I finally set up my camera I couldn't figure out what was eating stuff and last year it was definitely a rat even though there were plenty of possums around. This year who knows, the LDF Tomato Cam will let me know by morning hopefully
pixlpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #13
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Low hanging fruit.

(J23 0600) A raccoon has been frequenting the shop and hit the cat food last night that is locked up in a gladiator wall cabinet. I charge my drill batteries in the lower shelf (where the cat food is also stored) and it stuck his paw up the hole the cords go through and ransackled the cat food bag. It was a wadded up mess, however, he never could pull the bag through the tiny hole. Of course the cat was whining for more food this morning, so had to sweep up the scattered bits.

Why do cats not protect their food?

Guess I will trap the guy, I have seen him a couple of times and he is getting fat. The dogs run him around and into the high grass.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; June 23, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #14
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Cats are way literal. If the cat isn't hungry, then food isn't a concern.

If the cat is hungry, guard your dinner.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #15
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
the cat is worthless at protecting his bowl.
the in/out cats I have around have been pretty good about keeping the squirrels off of my plants so far - then again, I have only had one round 15-20 tomatoes blush and ripen over the last couple of weeks - I hope they don't get too interested all of a sudden
WilburMartin is offline   Reply With Quote