Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 11, 2014   #1
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Default DIY LED plant lights

I have been using fluorescent lights to start my seedlings indoors and started to look for the LED plant lights, but the good ones are still quite expensive. I found 1W blue and red LEDs in the local electronics store and got my DH excited about a new project. First prototype with three blue and three red LEDs is now ready and set-up for testing. If this works we have materials to make three more of these modules to build the whole light fixture.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED light test setup.jpg (116.1 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg LED light.jpg (109.7 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg LED light test.jpg (112.5 KB, 406 views)
Old February 11, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I like how they are mounted on a heat sink. I have a question that you you may have to ask your DH, how are you limiting the current a resistor or some kind of driver?
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2014   #3
svalli
Tomatovillian™

The heat sink may be a bit overrated, but we had such thing laying around. My DH machined three grooves on the heat sink where we glued strips of circuit board, for soldering the LEDs. I made very simple layout for the copper strips on the computer and printed on transparency film, which was transferred to the circuit board treated with UV sensitive coating with the UV light. We went maybe a bit overboard when building the prototype, but since these LEDs are just mounted by soldering the legs, we got them on the heat sink by using the circuit boards strips embedded in the grooves.

I do not have to ask my DH about the current limiting, since I calculated the resistor value. The LEDs are rated for max 400 mA, but we are limiting them now to 300 mA, with a 64 Ω power resistor. The power supply is an old 19.5 VDC laptop power supply which is rated at 4.7 A.

My DH planned to build a driver, but this is now a prototype for testing, so we needed quickly make something to power it up. My DH is experienced with power electronics, so he'll do the more demanding stuff. We have the same degree, but I have been doing mainly software and product engineering, so with electronics I'm only good when it is about applying the Ohm's law.

Sari
Old February 12, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I understood just about every bit of that.
Would a simple dimmer switch/rheostat work instead of the resister as long as it had the right range I would think it would?

Sari I found 120 VAC LED lights at the store that you can change the color on, will they work?

You have me thinking now.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; February 12, 2014 at 03:15 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2014   #5
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Rheostat or variable resistors could be used to vary the current, to change the light intensity, but it should be constructed so that the resistance can not go too low, which would cause the current rise above the LED's maximum rating.

Many of the decorative LED systems have quite low light intensity and the wavelength of the light may not be optimal for plant growth. I have seen that some guys have built grow lights from the ready made LED strips, so it could work also, even the individual LEDs are lower power.

I have used just 470 nm blue and 625 nm red LEDs. The guys who go really hi-tech and are trying to optimize their lights use multiple wavelength blue and red LEDs in same light fixture. I was looking multicolored RGB LEDs, which have blue and red at different wavelengths, but those are much more expensive than the single color ones. I have done a lot of reading now and based on the information which I have got, I may add pure white LEDs to my light, since some people have good experience with them. The plants use mainly blue and red wavelengths, but some other colors may also be beneficial and the pure white LEDs should have plant friendly spectrum. Many of the LED plant lights are made for people who need to keep their plants in closets whole time, so I have a bit different needs, when I am using these just for seedling growth and not for bud production .

Sari
Old February 12, 2014   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I understood just about every bit of that.
Would a simple dimmer switch/rheostat work instead of the resister as long as it had the right range I would think it would?

Sari I found 120 VAC LED lights at the store that you can change the color on, will they work?

You have me thinking now.

Worth

I'd say a typical dimmer switch that goes in a house generally won't work. They work by clipping part of the AC wave form essentially acting like a pulse width modulated power supply. With part off the AC cycle missing the RMS (for people that don't know what RMS is it's a type of weighted average) voltage drops. When the dimmer is actually conducting it has very little current limiting ability.

I suspect that you may know all this Worth but I've spent quite a bit of time trying to explain that LEDs and fluorescent tubes are devices that you can't change the brightness of by changing the voltage on them and that they need some kind of current limiting. Then there is trying to explain not designing using typical specs, but minimum and maximum values.
Old February 12, 2014   #7
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
. . . and the pure white LEDs should have plant friendly spectrum. Many of the LED plant lights are made for people who need to keep their plants in closets whole time, so I have a bit different needs, when I am using these just for seedling growth and not for bud production .

Sari
My understanding is that White LEDs are blue LEDs with a yellow emitting phosphorous
coating. What do you think of adding a yellow or more likely amber LED to the set up if you want to try more wavelengths?
Old February 12, 2014   #8
lefolly
Tomatovillian™

I don't know how many of you reddit, but a member there has been working on an LED grow lighting primer, its taken him a while to get the first five parts posted but they're good reads if you're like me and thinking of making your own.

http://www.reddit.com/r/HandsOnCompl...part_one_heat/
http://www.reddit.com/r/HandsOnCompl..._2_beam_angle/
http://www.reddit.com/r/HandsOnCompl...lor_and_white/
http://www.reddit.com/r/HandsOnCompl...building_your/
http://www.reddit.com/r/HandsOnCompl...king_with_100/
lefolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2014   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I'd say a typical dimmer switch that goes in a house generally won't work. They work by clipping part of the AC wave form essentially acting like a pulse width modulated power supply. With part off the AC cycle missing the RMS (for people that don't know what RMS is it's a type of weighted average) voltage drops. When the dimmer is actually conducting it has very little current limiting ability.

I suspect that you may know all this Worth but I've spent quite a bit of time trying to explain that LEDs and fluorescent tubes are devices that you can't change the brightness of by changing the voltage on them and that they need some kind of current limiting. Then there is trying to explain not designing using typical specs, but minimum and maximum values.
I was thinking of the old type dimmers not the new ones.

Somewhere in a box I have a pile of rheostats I used at work plus about a million resisters.

Why is it then that the LED lights I see at the store say they can be dimmed?

All of this talk is bringing up a sore subject with me.

When they wired this house a few years ago they didn't wire it from my opinion correct.

Only one hot wire going to the lights and ceiling fan so I cant just turn on the fan or light individually I have to use a pull string.
Then there is the one light switch in the hall instead of one at each end.
I can wire all of this but the ceiling is a nightmare to crawl in.

I am very interested in the LED stuff and am in the process of converting the whole house to it.
Grow lights are on the top of the list and want to suck up all of the information I can.

Worth
Old February 12, 2014   #10
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
We had similar problem in our house in WI. Originally we had just a ceiling fan in the cathedral ceiling of the living room. When we added a light fixture on the fan we added also a remote control, which allowed controlling the light and the fan and its speed.

Thanks posting those links lefolly. There is a lot to read and try to understand.

I believe I have to study this thing much more before spending more money on different color LEDs. There are so many opinions on different forums on the net that it is hard to find the real data on the issue. I just thought that the pure white LEDs could be good after reading a test made by one Finnish chilehead. He got much better results with pure white LED lamp compared to red/blue lamp, which had much more red than blue.

Sari
Old February 12, 2014   #11
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I've done a bunch of reading on LEDs and other lighting and the problem with much if not most LED information is that it is pure marketing hype with either no numbers behind it or numbers that don't correspond to what is being claimed.

One place that I go to find real numbers is here. http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/

My only connection was I was a student there before my mom died and I ran out of money. This wasn't there when I was there but I believe that should be of the same quality as any of thier other programs their.

I'll post more thoughts later.
Old February 12, 2014   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sari years ago about 32 to be exact I studied grow lights from a source that was considered the guru of indoor growing and "tomato" cultivation.
His name was Ed Rosenthal.

What he said was the common bright daylight florescent bulbs at, at least 40 watts per square foot was what you needed and the grow lights were a gimmick.
He talked about the other lights like metal halide and so forth too.

He went on to say that flat white paint reflected useable light better than foil.
Sears was remodeling and I went to the construction dumpster and found all of the florescent fixtures I would ever need.
I also went to the store and bought a 300 watt quarts iodine light.

I wanted to grow 'Tomatoes" in my huge attic so I got some 2x4's sheet rock, nails plywood and flat white paint.

The "Tomatoes" grew like they were grown outside.
They were the talk of everyone but no one knew where they came from, it was my secret garden.
I learned a lot about container and indoor growing back then including cross pollination and developing hybrids.
Some of the first of the super tomatoes came from us guys.

I got worried about the garden and realized how deep I had got into it and how much I had to lose and pulled the plug.

Time moves on and the new LED lights are the talk of the town.

I have a young friend in Colorado that is growing "tomatoes".
He wants me to come up and do some consulting with a percentage of the investment.

Worth
Old February 16, 2014   #13
svalli
Tomatovillian™

My purple led lights have been in operation now for almost a week. I have pepper, dragon fruit, glory vine and purple bell vines under them. I have also same age pepper, glory and bell vine seedlings under a fluorescent cabinet light. When comparing the seedlings, the ones under the LEDs are not getting so leggy as the other ones and they have also bigger leaves. So based on just one week this looks promising.

I purchased some petunia and fuchsia cuttings yesterday and needed to set up a light for those. We have bought 10W, 4500K, 670lm LED flood lights from sale and I started to wonder, if those could work as plant lights. I did searches on the internet and found some information at the "indoor tomato" growers' forums about using those lights during vegetation phase. Based on that those could work for my indoor growing purposes. I have now one 10W flood light hanging above the flower cuttings. I may have to add more of them, but first I have to rig up a fixture to mount them on.

Sari
Old February 16, 2014   #14
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

From what I can tell the big gain with LEDs is the ability to direct the light. I discovered how important not just brightness (power), but actually being able to direct the light onto the plant when I was using CFLs in brooder lights. The other factor is that an LED of the same power is smaller than a fluorescent so you can get a given area brighter.

If you go Google images and enter Smokemaster LED grow lights you'll see what he has done with LEDs. He's had good success growing hot peppers using 50 watt homemade panels.

Last edited by Doug9345; February 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old February 16, 2014   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wish we had Nikola Tesla on this forum.

Worth