Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 1, 2011   #31
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Buying on the internet can be scary at times. (Knock on wood), I have never been burned (yet), but I am cautious. I have dealt confidently with Johnny's for years without a problem/hitch. I am hoping that you are worrying over nothing.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011   #32
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

I put in an order a few days ago, so fingers crossed. My first time ordering from them- they had some less- common varieties and some sale items, I was hooked.

Received 01/04/11. All here except for the backorder that I knew about BEFORE I placed my order. I am pleased.

Last edited by David Marek; January 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Seeds arrived.
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011   #33
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's is my favorite vendor. Heck, they mail three (three!) of their catalogs to us.

I got that letter back in 2007 but have ordered from them subsequently and have had no problem. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen again--vigilance is always required--but hopefully they learned their lesson from the 2007 incident.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011   #34
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

It's comforting to hear good things about Johnny's I hope they can rectify the situation soon. I still have not heard from them, but I assume they're catching up after the holiday. I don't take being overcharged lightly! I wish they wouldn't either. I also wish microsoft xbox (whatever that is) wouldn't take so lightly the $200 they fraudulently received from me at the same time! I hate the internet!! Except for Tomatoville, of course
lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #35
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Placed an order with Johnny's on 12/29/10 and it was delivered on 1/3/11. Very fast service. No problems with order.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011   #36
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Not about this credit card issue at all but --

I really like the fact that I got an email today from Johnny's with a list of varieties that may be in short supply and those that are out or discontinued and replacement varieties.

Often you don't know a variety is gone until you can no longer find it anywhere. At least if you have a bit of a heads-up, maybe you can stock up on your fav.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011   #37
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Last year I ordered from a vendor mentioned on T'ville. Several months later, I had several fraudulent charges on my credit card. Our police dept. investigated the case and asked me if I had done business with anyone in the state in question, which of course I had. Actually, the only business I had done in that state was with this seed company. The police traced the "person" that made the charges (Best Buy, newegg) and reported it to the police in that town. They also told me that most likely it was a not a home address, but a warehouse. They said that the police may not even investigate, catch or prosecute the people. This is a very common occurence. You can feel that you are protecting yourself by not ordering online, but the police told me that there are basically groups of people running credit card numbers until they get one that works and that it is happening all over the world.

That being said, I have ordered from Johnny's with no problems; order was fine and delivery quick.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #38
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Anyone who uses a credit card can have problems with credit card theft. My daughter is a college student and I provided her with a credit card that is on my account to pay for gas for her car and food. It has only been used at major grocery stores, major gas stations and the college co-op to buy books. Two weeks ago I got a call from the credit card company that there had been a $2,000 donation to some Islamic center in Texas and a $500 purchase from Japan plus some other major charges. Obviously none of my daughters charges (No muslims in my family. I was born in Finland) so we had to cancel the card and have a new one sent out.

The point being that if you have a credit card, you can have problems. Where was my daughters numbers lifted? Neither I nor the credit card company have any idea. The credit card company says it happens all the time.

This has nothing to do with Johnny's, just with credit card usage in general.

Bjorn
Old January 6, 2011   #39
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

As far as the credit cards go -- yesterday I was listening to Clark Howard talking about credit cards.

A lot of the new cards have a little chip in them that allows you to just "wave" the card at a device and it records the transaction without "swiping".

The big problem with those cards tho is the fact that the scammers can retrieve the cc info even if your card is in your pocket. All they have to be is close to you with a battery powered receiver of some kind. A TV station did a piece about it showing how the cards were "captured" from people just walking past a person sitting at a cafe.

Really scary. Even scarier is the fact that most people don't even know they have a card that does that. I know I don't know if either of my cards will do that.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #40
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I saw that report on TV and it is very scary!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #41
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
You can feel that you are protecting yourself by not ordering online, but the police told me that there are basically groups of people running credit card numbers until they get one that works and that it is happening all over the world.
I have no doubt that this is true, but most card companies require you to give an address associated with the card number in order for it to be authorized. I know that my card issuers do. So in many cases it has to be someone who has access to your information, which is what bothers me so much.

As for Johnny's, I never did receive a reply to my emails, so I finally called and was told I'd be contacted about a refund. I wasn't, so I called again and was told there would be a check in the mail. So there's that. I did receive the order promptly! No treated seed! I just wish they would have communicated with me better.

In the meantime my bank has refunded the fraudulent charges and the company to whom the charges were made has been cooperative and friendly (which is miraculous being that they're associated with Microsoft). Things are looking up
lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #42
cloz
Tomatovillian™

With all the problems with credit cards, I sometimes think you are better off using your credit card through PayPal where possible because the party you are dealing with does not have access to your credit card information (numbers). I know a lot of people hate PayPal but I think it does have it's place. I try to buy things from local brick and mortar stores, however, there are so many things that are not available from local suppliers (or their prices are sky high compared to online) that online becomes the only option.

Bjorn
Old January 6, 2011   #43
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Yea Pay pal is a good option, another way to go if you are worried about using your credit card is to go get a prepaid credit card. I get mine from Wal-mart and when I want to shop online I go put money on it. That way if someone does get the number there is not much extra on it and also it is protected like any other Credit card would be. Only difference is I am not screwed over as bad while the CC company sorts things out. So far though have never been burned yet but its worth the piece of mind.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #44
clara
Tomatovillian™

Whenever I want to buy seeds in Germany or elsewhere, I select a seller who offers PayPal (and I change my passwort every month just to be sure). I never use my credit cards online although by doing so, I sometimes don't get the variety I really would like to have when there are only non-PayPal companies which offer them. But sooner or later. a friendly Tomatovillian is offering this variety... at least that's what I hope! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #45
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, this thread was started in 2007.

Anyways, I like Johnny's--great selection.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote