Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old November 20, 2007   #16
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

I like Hickory King. Good corn flavor. Not sweet. I don't like sweet corn.
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2007   #17
johno
Tomatovillian™

Anybody try white corn like Silver Queen?
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2007   #18
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I grew up eating Silver Queen, and later, selling it at my market.

As a grower, it was always a tall, weak stem, subject to serious lodging in high winds, but it sure was better than Golden Bantam, which was pretty and almost tasteless.

To me, corn is the one crop where Suger Enhanced (SE) is light years better than the varieties I grew up with.

On the other hand, I hate Supersweet corn, as there is no corn taste to it, only a sugar rush.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2007   #19
johno
Tomatovillian™

Anybody grow (or eat) Silver King?
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2008   #20
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi bought Honey Select from Mountain Valley seed company last year, it is excellent XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2008   #21
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Alan Kapuler has dehybridized some of those really good hybrid sweet corns like Silver Queen, one of my old faves. And he did it in the PNW, I believe. You might want to check out his old haunt, Seeds of Change, linked above or his current revisited project/company, Peace Seeds (no website but listed under his name in the SSE Yearbook) for True Gold and True Platinum (the Silver Queen OP???). Johnny's has an OP variety called Double Standard that I'm trying this year as well and along with another Kapuler OP sweet, Rainbow Inca, and David Christensen's sweet version of his Painted Mountain (name escapes me right now). Buhl from Glenn Drowns is earmarked as a must grow, but think I've reached my varietal limit for this year. Peters Seeds and Research has stuff too that might be worth checking out. It's getting harder and harder to find real corn, not the least of which because it's a pain to save and save it well; forget the biofuel issue which is really going to change things variety-wise over the next few years. Mostly, our collective palates really are being dumbed down with excessive salt and sugar.

Thanks for the heads up on Golden Bantam. That at least can be crossed off my must-grow list...or put at the bottom.

Jennifer, happy to skip 2007 and think about the 2008 growing season now