Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 31, 2009   #1
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Default Climbing Okra

I recently had a conversation with a gentleman at my church who grows quite a sizable garden every year. When we were talking about okra, he said that he knew another guy in town who grew what he called "Arkansas Okree". He said it grew on a vine and that the fruits were tender even after they had grown very long. He said that he had received some seeds and they had gotten ruined by moisture and since had not been able to find any. So I told him I would get some for him if I could locate them.

After doing some research, it seems that what he is looking for is Luffa cylindrica. This is the loofah sponge plant. Apparently you can eat the gourds like squash or okra.

Has anyone grown this and eaten the fruit? Or is there another kind of climbing okra I don't know about? I'd like to help out my friend, but I'd like as much input as I can get before I go and buy some seeds for him.

Here's a link to a picture of what I think he's talking about:

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Hor...472208_544.jpg
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2009   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As you may have noticed Dave's Garden has blocked this image of Climbing Okra.
You can go to this site and look for your selves if you so desire.
I am A member and it is a great site for all kinds of stuff about plants.
If you want to know if a plant will grow in your area this is a good place to go.(not excluding Tomatoville)

Okra is a member of the mallow and/or hibiscus family and I don't think there is any real thing as a true climbing okra even though I wish there was.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2009   #3
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Dave burned me something terrible! Dave, if you're reading this I meant no disrespect.
Old April 2, 2009   #4
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Are you sure they weren't growing Italian Trombone Squash

~* Robin
Old April 2, 2009   #5
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace View Post
Are you sure they weren't growing Italian Trombone Squash

~* Robin
No, I'm not sure. But that looks like a winner. Have you tried it?
Old April 2, 2009   #6
ctx00978
Tomatovillian™

This sounds like what I'll be growing this year. A guy here in town grows it and gave me a dried pod with seeds in it to try. He said it was vining okra, and stays tender even when large. I don't know what it looks like fresh (colorwise), but it's about 15-18 inches long, with a slight curve to it, is about the width of a medium/large zucchini, and has spines. I wonder if it's the same thing you're talking about?

Stacie
ctx00978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #7
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctx00978 View Post
This sounds like what I'll be growing this year. A guy here in town grows it and gave me a dried pod with seeds in it to try. He said it was vining okra, and stays tender even when large. I don't know what it looks like fresh (colorwise), but it's about 15-18 inches long, with a slight curve to it, is about the width of a medium/large zucchini, and has spines. I wonder if it's the same thing you're talking about?

Stacie
The pod isn't a loofah sponge, is it?

Man, I might have to look for some of those Italian Trombone Squash seeds.
Old April 2, 2009   #8
ctx00978
Tomatovillian™

You'll have to pardon my ignorance, because I've not grown this before, but I went to the picture of luffa cylindrica, and it had a smoother "shell" with grooves, while what I have definitely has raised spines on it. I'm heading out to get the kids from school right now, but when I get back, I'll pop it open to see what's inside and also see if I can't find a picture that resembles it online. I'd take a picture of this but my camera isn't loading my pictures on the computer for some reason. If this is what he's looking for, I'd be more than happy to send you some of the seeds. Be back in a bit.

Stacie
ctx00978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #9
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

This is another Edible Luffa: Luffa acutangula
Here are other Species

Maybe these can help you out.

~* Robin
Old August 3, 2015   #10
Denny1
Tomatovillian™

Default climbing okra

This is my first post here and if there is a way to some how do it wrong, I will do it. I need all the help I can get whether procedural or related to my post; so admins and members, don't be bashful--speak up!! I have been chasing this item whatever it is called forever, and happily came across a good hit in this forum, so Stacie ctx00978, your description absolutely matches what I'm looking for, particularly about staying tender at full size, the spines, size and ridges running along it's length, and not luffa cylindrica! Boy, I hope you are still around and have a handle on where I could find some seeds!!
Denny1
Denny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2015   #11
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

We (SESE) carry what you might be looking for -- http://www.southernexposure.com/luff...-g-p-1834.html -- we call it Ridged Luffa, aka Chinese Vining Okra, aka Ridge Gourd -- our seed source was Sand Hill Preservation Center -- it's a better tasting luffa gourd (though doesn't make as good luffas as the regular luffa).
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote