Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old February 19, 2010   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAG - 2010 - Spring Plant Swap

We have a date for the Spring Plant Swap. It will be Saturday May 8th. Last year some folks said they had morning commitments that made it hard to attend so we’re going to try 1 to 4 pm this year.

We’ll use Paxton Ramsey Park again. http://www.miamitwp.org/index.php?op...d=87&Itemid=91

Bring your extra plants, seed, food and stories. While this is a CHOPTAG “tomato plant swap” event, feel free to bring any fruit, veggi or herb plants you want to off-load.

Everyone is welcome to join us. This is a family affair, so bring the kids, the parents, the grandparents and anyone else that likes tomatoes.

There is only one rule. Bring plants or bring food.

Directions to the park:

If you are coming from the North, Down I-75 or I-71 you’ll want to take I275 East to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Using the CENTER lane turn LEFT off the exit. This will put you in the right hand lane on Wards Corner Rd. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

If your coming from the South up I-71/75 take I-275 North to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

For those coming from Indiana on I74 use I-275 through Kentucky continuing to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.
Old February 19, 2010   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

We'll be there. Not sure what kind of plants we'll have. But I've got a 22 lb. turkey in the freezer that I need to do something with. I may brine it, smoke it, and force y'all to make sandwiches or something out of it. :-)
Old February 19, 2010   #3
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Jerry
Thanks for the Information.

Smoked Trurkey sounds good Earl!
I hope I will be able to be there as well! Don't know what plants I will have but hopefully something to test the taste buds!
Stay warm and well all!
Gary
Old February 20, 2010   #4
pete
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
We'll be there. Not sure what kind of plants we'll have. But I've got a 22 lb. turkey in the freezer that I need to do something with. I may brine it, smoke it, and force y'all to make sandwiches or something out of it. :-)

I'll bring the BBQ sauces!!! MAN I LOVE BBQ and SMOKIN'.
Maybe I can throw down a butt or a brisket.

Pete
Old February 20, 2010   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Pete said, "Maybe I can throw down a butt or a brisket."

Hey, Pete. Does that mean we have a choice between butt and brisket? We've had lip-smackin-as-good-as-it-gets pulled pork butt but we ain't had any brisket as of yet at a CHOPTAG meet, at least that I can remember.

Might be that Gary can be talked into bringing some of his Jezebell sauce to spread on some Brisket by Pete or Turkey by Earl? :-)
Old February 20, 2010   #6
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Spring Plant Exchange

"Might be that Gary can be talked into bringing some of his Jezebell sauce to spread on some Brisket by Pete or Turkey by Earl?"

I know Gary would be more than willing to supply a variety of Jezebell Sauces for the Brisket and Turkey.
We will Dine Gourmet for sure!
What could be better than talking/exchanging Tomato seedlings, enjoying gardening friends, and sharing good food!
Gary
Old February 20, 2010   #7
pete
Tomatovillian™

Brisket or pulled pork?? The pork is certainly easier to cook/smoke.

I have done a few briskets and they were good, mmm, heck, if I'm firing up the smoker I'll do one of each, just in case I mess up the brisket.

Need to be ready by 1 pm on sat, start friday at 5pm-smoke till 11 pm, wrap in foil and put in the oven at 200 until I leave my house.

It's like tail-gating in the spring!!!!
Old February 25, 2010   #8
pete
Tomatovillian™

Default st. louis ribs, BBQ that is

Tired of this weather!!! Fired up the smoker and threw down a slab of pig ribs, ~~~~LIP SMACKIN GOOOOD~~~~

St. Louis cut, all the ribs and 1/2 a sternum, turned out nice.

pete

may 8 will have some briskit and butt BBQ HFY
Old February 26, 2010   #9
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

I just drooled on my computer a little. My husband is a vegetarian, so I never get that kind of stuff at home....

And the winter seed-swapping BBQ will be?
Old February 26, 2010   #10
pete
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Yes, Yes I was thinking about the side dishes.

I really like large french fries, fresh cut, deep fried 2X, salt and yes, Ketchup, LOTS OF TOMATO KETCHUP.

Coleslaw, of course, for the pulled pork sandwiches, pickles (clausen are really good), and maybe some baked beans.

Any other ideas, likes or dis-likes, allergies???

pete
Old February 26, 2010   #11
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

I have salsa. Maybe by then I might still have some heirloom salsa frozen in the freezer
Old March 7, 2010   #12
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Here is what I plan to start next weekend. So if germanation goes well it will also be what I have available to bring to the swap.

Get your order in early.

Aker's West Virginia
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Box Car Willie
Carbon
Cherokee Purple
Dr. Carolyn
Eva Purple Ball
Guido
Italian Sweet
Kellogg's Breakfast
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Lucky Cross
Marianna's Peace
Mark Twain
Opalka
Paul Robeson
Prudens Purple
Red Brandywine
Rose de Berne
Rossi Nostr
San Marzano
Sungold
Tennessee Heirloom
Tidwell German
Tiffen Mennonite
Vinson Watts
Wes
Wessel's Purple Pride
Winsall
Wisconsin 55
Yellow Red Butt

Anaheim Chile
Ancho
Black Pearl
Fat 'n Sassy Hybrid
Lipstick
Craig's #5 Hot Pepper
Craig's #10 Hot Pepper
Craig's #38 Hot Pepper
Old March 7, 2010   #13
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a wonderful assortment! Your mention to get orders in early brings up a question I have regarding the logistics of how the spring plant swap works.

I am not going to start anything from seed this year at all. I've already got lots of irons in the fire, and I'm finally learning to recognize my limits. Since I won't have any plants to swap with anyone, can I purchase plants from attendees at the swap? Is it an option to place an order ahead of time?

Thanks!
Tim
Old March 9, 2010   #14
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Hey Crispy,
The overall goal is to swap tomato plants. That being said, every year we have folks show up who don’t bring seedlings. Most of those folks do however bring FOOD.
I have not heard of anyone accepting money for plants at our swap but I’ll be glad to set a president. I’ll only charge $50.00 a plant.
So if you don’t have any plants and don’t like my price you can always bring FOOD.
Old March 9, 2010   #15
tomatoaddict

I'll bring dessert and something else. Not sure yet.