Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old December 3, 2011   #1
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

Default Good way to clean basil seeds?

I'm trying to save some basil seeds, and I was wondering if anyone had a clever method to remove the seeds from the little "capsules" they come in. (Hopefully y'all know what I mean. Looks like there's 4 seeds closed up in each little "husk" I stripped off the plant.)

I let them dry completely and stripped them off the stem, and then started rubbing them and scrunching them in my hands to see if the seeds would just pop out. A few did, but most of them are still tightly enclosed, and the rubbing seems to only smoosh the outsides of the capsules tighter around the seeds.

It's a bit tedious to pop each one open individually, so I was hoping someone knew an easier way.
Neohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2011   #2
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I save basil seed but let them dry completely and then put in a plastic baggie and crushed them with my fingers. Then I use a white bowl and drop the debris slowly blowing while the seeds drops into the bowl anything else blows away. It may need 2 or 3 times to be cleaned but I don't mind few debris left on. It works the same with onion, lettuce and chives seed.
Old December 5, 2011   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like you have seed husks that aren't quite dry enough. I skin off a bunch of them that look dry and then leave them in an open bowl inside to finish drying for a month and then just crush them between my fingers and blow the chaff away as wmontanez suggested.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2011   #4
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

If you have quite a few to do, consider taking the project outdoors and using a blow dryer on a low setting. Very large bowls or empty 5-gallon buckets can help keep the seeds contained while the chaff blows around and away.
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2011   #5
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

Maybe they aren't dry enough. They have been sitting in an open bowl for at least a week, so I thought they were dry enough, but it has been humid lately.

I can take each individual one and pry it open with my fingernail, but if I rub them around on anything, they just roll around with the husks still tightly wrapped around the seeds within. They really don't want to come out of there easily.
Neohippie is offline   Reply With Quote