Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old July 5, 2013   #1
ErieDeare
Tomatovillian™

Default Can one cut off Squash vines

I would like to know if one can cut the vines of Squash vines off to stop them from over taking the garden? Also I do not want them to cross with my melons and cucumbers.

This may not be the place to post this, but I am not sure where to post this question. Sorry
ErieDeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

As far as crossing, if you have pollinators (bees) they will cross unless you pollinate and bag (isolate) by hand.

And yes you can prune the vines. But the new fruit happens at the ends, so prune AFTER it sets a squash.

PS. I personally like the "weedlike" characteristics of squash. If you time it correctly you can use it as a benefit. For example the 3 sisters method developed by the Native Americans. The 3 sisters are corn, beans, squash. So I grow sweet corn, pole beans, and winter squash all together. Plant your corn first. When it gets 2-4 inches tall, plant a pole bean by every corn stalk. The pole bean will use the corn stalk as a trellis yet also since it is a legume, fix nitrogen for the corn. When the beans show the second set of true leaves (first compound set), then plant your winter squash or pumpkins. They will tend to "take over" like you complained about, but since both the corn and beans have a head start, what it actually ends up doing is providing ground cover and weed control. So the 3 sisters work together for the benefit of all.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; July 5, 2013 at 06:30 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #3
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Squash are in a different plant family from melons/cucumbers. They will not cross, even if you tried.

The melons and cucumbers, however, will readily cross with each other.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
Squash are in a different plant family from melons/cucumbers. They will not cross, even if you tried.

Summer squash will cross with them.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old July 5, 2013   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post

A good page to determine what crosses readily and what doesn't....

http://www.walterreeves.com/food-gar...n-explanation/

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Various squash will cross with each other, tho not all as there are 3 main species that we grow. In general they do not cross inter-species.

Pepo are all the summer squash and winter squash with hard stems like Acorn and Delicata and some pumpkins.

Maxima are the soft fleshy stemmed squash like Buttercup, Hubbards and most giant pumpkins.

Moschata are the Butternuts and a very few other varieties.

There is a 4th species not terribly common and I forget the actual name right now but it is mainly the Cushaw varieties.

As far as the cutting off the stem -- go ahead, but know that the plant will most likely branch and "bush' from the leaf joints behind the cut.

I was cultivating between the rows of the watermelons and winter squash yesterday with the springtooth on the 8N. As the plants were already starting to run I did damage some. It's just what you have to accept as a larger than backyard grower. From experience I know that it really won't hurt the plant in the long run. If anything the plant will be bigger from all the side shoots.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
A good page to determine what crosses readily and what doesn't....

http://www.walterreeves.com/food-gar...n-explanation/
Thanks for the link. I always wondered what was going on with a few of the strange crosses I sometimes get. That helps a lot, especially seeing that Armenian cukes cross with melons. Clarifies it for me. I stand corrected.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison