Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 29, 2013   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default SpudG x Stupice

This is part of an ongoing project to get earlier full-sized tomatoes with exceptional taste. This is a F4, but so far, so good. It was my earliest non-cherry/grape this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2M74-1.jpg (334.0 KB, 30 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

While my SpudG tomatoes always are early, plentiful, and tasty, I continue to have skin splitting problems with them. Not so much radial or concentric cracks, but just random skin splits due to thin and tender skin. Too bad, because they are such pretty and tasty tomatoes.

How's this cross of yours holding up to cracks and splits?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #3
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
While my SpudG tomatoes always are early, plentiful, and tasty, I continue to have skin splitting problems with them. Not so much radial or concentric cracks, but just random skin splits due to thin and tender skin. Too bad, because they are such pretty and tasty tomatoes.

How's this cross of yours holding up to cracks and splits?
It's OK, but not exceptional. I'm primarily picking up good tolerance to cracks and splits in my crosses to commercial hybrids. I'll post some of these later when they get ripe.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Frogs, that's the way I've sealed the cracks, by outcrossing to modern commercial hybrids, which also lends the possibility of some disease resistance.

The only exception to that rule has been Mozark x Sioux, which itself seems almost crackproof; and when used in outcrosses, seems to seal the cracks in other lines.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #5
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

use Piennolo del Vesuvio. It should work very well at stopping cracking. Also, I've used Burgess Crackproof for the same reason.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote