Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 8, 2012   #46
hunter16
Tomatovillian™

One can use discarded plastic venitian blinds. They can be found discarded on trash day. Cut the strings that hold them together and cut the slats whatever length you prefer. Generally they are white and I use a pencil to put the name on them. These I stick in the ground. If one prefers to tie them on a stake, just poke a hole in them and use a bread-bag tie.
hunter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012   #47
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I cant believe you guys dont care enough about your tomato plants to not have their names memorized and know where they are at all times.

Do you put ear tags in your children's ears?
Do you write their names on them with a sharpie or grease pencil?
Do you have to have a map of your place to know where everything and everyone is at?

Worth
I have tried Worth. My forgetter is getting better than my rememberer. If only the fruit would pop out within a week or two than I might do better. I did "green Fried Tomatoes" one year and by golly, I forgot which couple plants in the row were them. they never turn red. They stay firm and eventually, after a really long time, turn yellow and still are hard. I finally picked some and put them on my roadside stand and had them labeled and one of my customers asked a few weeks later if those green tomatoes were ever going to turn red....I immediately started laughing and mentioned that "green fried tomatoes" was a variety specifically for frying. I told her to come get some different ones.
If I had 250 children maybe I would need a grease pencil to label everyone of them.
Old November 8, 2012   #48
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I use the same idea as b54red and that is pink surveyors tape (available at HD, Lowe's, etc.) I write the name with a sharpie and it is good for one season. I also have the little
white stakes at the base and scrub them with steel wool and WD-40 to re-use them.

Worth....just wait till you get to my age and you will be glad that you tatooed your kids'
names on their foreheads. It is embarrassing to them now that they are in their fifties,
but very helpful to me!! Plus, I can never remember where I put my map. I am just lucky
if I can remember where my garden is. I do have a map showing where my garden is,
but I can't remember where I put the map. I have another map, but can't remember what
it is for.

Last edited by Alpinejs; November 8, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #49
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Worth, that is so freakin' funny!

I do a lot of canning and since you can't can with the same lid twice, I repurpose them by using them as a toato tag. Hammer a hole into the lid with a nail and string the lid to the tomato cage! Voila!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #50
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

pdxwindjammer.....using the system that you just described, wouldn't that give you a lot
of tomatoes named "Mason"?
Old February 25, 2013   #51
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

In the 70's I ate a few that were named Magic Dot and some called Kerr.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
pdxwindjammer.....using the system that you just described, wouldn't that give you a lot
of tomatoes named "Mason"?
Some would be named Kerr.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #53
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Or Ball.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #54
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Careful using survey tape. I had a project long ago (work-not garden) where I diligently staked out locations with wood stakes, flagging them with survey tape marked with an ID label that was keyed to an ID and description in my field notes. That night a windstorm whipped off the ends of the tape along with the ID's keyed to my field notes. The boss berated me for not simply writing the ID no. on the wooden stake.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #55
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

All,
Back to the labels subject, I have a Dymo LT100 (Walmart) like $25. (uses 1/2" tape in a cassette) Binder clips in many sizes/colors = cheap. Here's my photobucket link http://s494.beta.photobucket.com/user/simmran1/library/plant labels
Old March 14, 2013   #56
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Ok, this seems like a dumb problem, even to me. But my brain isn't coming up with a nice easy solution.

I have the white plastic plant labels with the name of each tomato variety written on them, stuck into the containers. But, now that the plants are getting bigger, it's getting to be a real nuisance to bend over and root around in the foliage to view the label. (I do have a chart on the computer for backup).

I have Florida weave, so there's a stake every 2 plants. What I'd like to do is find a way to easily affix the labels to the top of the stake, so I can read it without bending over. It's metal t-posts at the ends of the row, and wood stakes in between the plants.

I was thinking of tape, but not sure what would be waterproof.

Any ideas?
I do it so:
I print names of tomatoes on the non washable foil (laser printer) and I glue them on the plastic tables (picture 1)
Lables used in my garden in 2012 from May tu October (picture 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (246.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (211.3 KB, 92 views)
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #57
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Go to homdepot or menards or lowes or any place that sells siding and buy a few short peices of white siding. Then cut it up with scissors into what ever shape you want. It's siding its meant to last for a long long time outside.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #58
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

I have never tried this as yet, but thought about it while gardening. How about the spring
type clothespins? Write on one side with a sharpie and clip to a cage, ring or bucket rim.
The next year, write on the other "leg" and after that, retire it to the clothespin bag.
Old March 22, 2013   #59
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

This is so easy get some gaffer's tape use this tape is used this movie and photography work. And a sharpie permanent marker put the tape together on the stick. It will be OK for over 2 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tape.jpg (744.9 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by FILMNET; March 22, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #60
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Filmnet.......yeah, but what if I plant something other than black cherry???

Actually, my question is where do you get gaffer's tape? Thanks.