Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 28, 2007   #1
pierre rutten
Tomatovillian™

Default dark green rugose foliage is limited to dwarf varieties?

These are words of Craig's post 13 in "General observation on growing out F3s"

There is one dark green rugose foliage non dwarf. It is the regular San Marzano. Or may be it is a taller dwarf ?

I grow it actually as well as 40 vars among which New Big Dwarf. SM is definitely taller slimer and RL but as rugose and dark green.

This Craig and Patrina dwarf entreprise is quite exciting.

Pierre Rutten
pierre rutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Bonjour Pierre (I have to admit that LeHoullier is Canadian, not European French, and I was a miserable failure at languages in school!).

Thanks for your post - I think that our dwarf project is exciting to us, but is that more a sign of our complete eccentricities when it comes to tomatoes? I do wonder how much of a total nut I come off in my enthusiasm (my wife is certain that I am a nut, that's for sure).

Interesting observation about Rugose foliage on other varieties. I've not observed it, but I am sure that it is possible. I tell you, a driveway full of foot tall dwarfs in the pink (or is it green?) of top health is quite a site!
Old May 28, 2007   #3
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Not being a tomato expert in any way (my disclaimer) the Siberia I grow seems to have dark green rugose foliage. Gets to be about 2.5' high but I've never heard any call Siberia a dwarf. (sorry about the darkness of it but I found when I tinkered, the leaves got lighter and for these purposes that would be counterproductive)
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007   #4
pierre rutten
Tomatovillian™

Default dark green rugose foliage is limited to dwarf varieties?

Ultimately canadian LeHoulier is most probably of french origin. "Le" prefix pointing to Britanny or nearby.

Its your and others enthusiasm that helped me to rediscover good tasting tomatoes.

And if most people scratch their heads seing someone grow one hundred plants getting better tasting tomatoes is certainly not being nut. At least it is how persons that eat our toms think. Breeding new vars to share with everybody is even better.

San Marzano regular has a few other features dwarfs may share.

Internodes are shorter, leaves are quite horizontally standing and suckers as well as branches are more erect than other non dwarf tomatoes I grow or grew.

I do not know actually as if I am growing SM for the third year now it is my first year with New Big Dwarf that is at opening first flower stage.
pierre rutten is offline   Reply With Quote