Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2013   #1
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I have to say: This is one of the most beautiful messages I have seen in a long time. Welcome to Tomatoville!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaboy View Post
Ma'am, if I understand you correctly, you're the author of a book called 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden. If so, I just want to say that I own this book and have very much enjoyed reading it, and viewing the dandy photos. I think quite highly of it.

Cy
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #2
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

My darling husband gave me Carolyn's book for mothers day this year and I cant put it down. Such a treasure trove of information!
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #3
guitar1580
Tomatovillian™

I had doubts about whether I'd find a copy of Carolyn's book after I heard that it was out of print and going for big bucks, but I just scored a used copy from a Goodwill store in CA on an auction site for less than $25 and free shipping. From the description given, you'd have thought it was gonna be beaten and rough, but it came today and it's like new. Yay, I guess I got lucky!

I'm anxious to read it. I only had time to take a quick look when it came in the mail, but it looks like it's going to be a great read, and the color photography is spectacular. I'm thinking it will likely inspire me to start growing some different varieties from seed, instead of getting my usual greenhouse plants.

If anyone else is looking, I saw one on the Barnes & Noble used website for a decent price last week when I ordered mine. May still be there.

JT
guitar1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #4
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

That's great, JT! The photography is wonderful. I'm glad I got my copy when it was still available.
Old June 24, 2013   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I am jealous, that I cannot read this book never. I don´t know English language. But I wish to Carolyn much the fitness, happiness and the complacency
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #6
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Just noticed that Amazon re-sellers are selling this book used starting at $11.87. Some sound in pretty good condition but are paperback. Worth investigating. Some of the books are fulfilled by Amazon so if you have over $25 in orders it may be free shipping. Worth investigating. I got this book a few years ago from Seed Savers and love it! Even though Carolyn has added new varieties over the years to her favorites or recommended lists when asked, the ones in this book are certainly all winners and I plant a number of them each year! I meant to add the link! http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Last edited by Gardadore; June 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added link
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #7
coronabarb

Vladimir, this book is worth having for just the pictures alone...even if your English is not so good! :-D
Old June 24, 2013   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

sound in pretty good condition but are paperback. Worth investigating. Some of the books are fulfilled by Amazon so if you

&&&&&

Paperback? The original is a flexible somewhat hard cover, but there never was a true paperback edition.

Carolyn
Old June 25, 2013   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Vladimir, this book is worth having for just the pictures alone...even if your English is not so good! :-D
I like „ingenious“ books. I have one like this about tomatoes in Czech language, which I read several times each year from 1972 y. Other book about tomatoes don´t exist in Czech republic. I think that this book could be interesting for me. But I must attest, if I am abilited to read English text. I must cut off Google translator and I must read texts in English in the first time and after it with translator.
I can wish this book to christmas from my son.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #10
coronabarb

It's not really a hardbound copy but not what you think of as paperback. Maybe that is just the designation they chose.
Old June 25, 2013   #11
dice
Tomatovillian™

There is a difference between "mass-market paperback" and
"trade paperback":
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trade+paperback

(There is a subset of trade paperback known as "trade
paperback comics".)
Old June 25, 2013   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
There is a difference between "mass-market paperback" and
"trade paperback":
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trade+paperback

(There is a subset of trade paperback known as "trade
paperback comics".)
I know. If you look at the NYTimes or even my Sunday paper you'll see both mass market and trade paperback listings, but my book is neither one for the simple reason that the covers are not paper.

Carolyn
Old June 26, 2013   #13
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Am I reading the price right on your books carolyn? I think someone is trying to make a huge buck on your book. I will be getting one for sure because I really want to learn as much as I can about tomatoes, especially heirlooms.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/100-...=9780761114000

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Am I reading the price right on your books carolyn? I think someone is trying to make a huge buck on your book. I will be getting one for sure because I really want to learn as much as I can about tomatoes, especially heirlooms.

If you mean the new copies at almost $100, yes that and even higher prices are being asked for new copies at several places, up to about $300 if you look around.

Why do you think I'm saving the four pristine copies I still have here at home? When the price hits near $1000 I'll maybe sell and make a few dollars.

If you read this whole thread you'll see some of those high prices mentioned.

Carolyn
Old June 26, 2013   #15
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I don't think people really buy those, at those prices. The seller though, can hold it there for a few years waiting on someone to click buy without researching it.
There are now much cheaper copies available used on amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post

kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote