Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 7, 2018   #2116
bower
Tomatovillian™

Talk about wierd microclimate, greenhouse has to take the cake. Sure it is warmer when the sun shines - too much warmer! Then when the sun doesn't shine... cold as outdoors (or in some cases, colder). As for the tomatoes they are happiest when there's a bit of sun but not too much, a bit of breeze but not too much, a bit of cloud but not too much. Oh they don't ask for much... of any one thing!

Here is a graph of my greenhouse temperatures for the first month after transplant - taken first thing in the morning to represent the overnight low, and whatever high came to during the day - bearing in mind that when I'm on site I'm attentive to keep it open as needed, and closed as needed, to stay in the moderate zone. First couple of weeks were ideal. But for the last while we can't seem to get the right bit of either thing. Too sunny and hot, too rainy and cold, rinse lather and repeat...
Attached Images
File Type: png 2018-30dtemp-aftertransplant.png (18.2 KB, 116 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #2117
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Spring is Over

It was nice while it lasted. I had to turn on the AC today. It was 92F / 33.33C

Actually, this is the latest first AC usage-of-the-year for us in many years. We usually have to start using the AC in late March and April.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018   #2118
imp
Tomatovillian™

Even though it's been in the 90's this week and forecast for all the next 7 days, no air is on yet here. One advantage to an old house, 38 windows, most all quite large and all double hung. The house has 10 and 12 ft. ceilings and with the design and windows, is good to draft the air. Built well before there was air conditioning.

I try to not turn on the air until we hit a hundred. The bills jump so high fast with air on, even limiting it to 2 rooms.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018   #2119
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I hear you Imp.

I turned on the AC for my DIL today. In years past, I turned the AC on early for Jan. Otherwise, I would wait until late June when the high is in the 90s with 70% humidity. I'm not the one paying the electric bill - they are.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018   #2120
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We have been getting the most pleasant spring weather so far. Highs around 80F and lows average 55F. Cann,t complain. Everything in my garden doing great from cole crops to tomatoes and peppers. We might start seeing 90F within a week.
I am betting to pick my first ripe tomato before the end of May.
Wishing you a nice weather

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018   #2121
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Well summer is here, 94 yesterday and more 90's in the 10 day forecast. We're also in a mini drought, I haven't had rain in a few weeks and it's very dry. The UV is high and some plants are wilting about 2PM regardless of how much I water.
Old May 8, 2018   #2122
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Continuing sunny, mid 80s, zero rain, low humidity. Not a trace of rain in 14 days. Some trees are stressing, dropping leaves. You'd think it was perfect tomato growing weather.........not here in south GA. Septoria showing up on 3 plants :-/
Old May 11, 2018   #2123
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Well summer is here, 94 yesterday and more 90's in the 10 day forecast. We're also in a mini drought, I haven't had rain in a few weeks and it's very dry. The UV is high and some plants are wilting about 2PM regardless of how much I water.
High UV is wicked for tomatoes. I get the wilting here too under glass, especially when they've gotten used to a bit of cloud and suddenly it's blazing sun and high UV. If it's sunny for days in a row, they seem to get used to it though.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #2124
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday afternoon, I dropped the last of my eighty indeterminate tomatoes. At night it rained, only about 4 mm, but thanks for this drought.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #2125
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That's great timing, Vladimir!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #2126
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

New weather term (derecho), at least to me, possibly occurring in the Mid-Atlantic states last night.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...id=mailsignout

Old Proverb

Last edited by pondgardener; May 15, 2018 at 09:31 AM.
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #2127
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Got 92 in the garden and 4 in containers with 5 sitting empty. Weather has been good to start plants. Dry for a week and avg daytime 85 but 4 days of rain on the way. Everything copacetic so far. Got a marble sized fruit on a container Cherokee Purple. Kohlrabi up good and pulled 3 green onions for dinner with New Orleans style smoked sausage on a bun with sauce and mustard. Yay!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #2128
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

WEEEEEE!!! finally got a little rain today!!!!!!!!
Old May 15, 2018   #2129
imp
Tomatovillian™

Got an inch or more last night, though the chance for showers was low, LOL! It's good, though, and we did need it. It rained steadily for more than an hour with periods of rather intense lightening and heavy down pours, then to a lighter sprinkle, back to the heavier rain and so on. Windy, but not bad windy.

Made for good sleeping with the windows opened onto the porch and a nice breeze after the bulk of the storm passed.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #2130
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Coal black at 4 pm ...nasty storm power out , trees down..not a fan of

Thunder storms...lightning...generator running
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote