Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 19, 2013   #1
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Default Pepper seedlings not growing tall

I planted some pepper seeds right into the seeding mix in a 1020 flat. As soon as they had a set or two of true leaves I transplanted them into the little peat pot type egg carton looking things called 'Ferti-pots', thirty plants to a 1020 flat. As long as I keep them watered they stay healthy but they don't grow a long stem. They just sit there short. They have been in these Ferti-pots for at least a month in the green house. I first started feeding them some liquid seaweed and when that didn't help I switched to diluted MC. They need to go into the ground soon if not yesterday but they are just too small to plant in the ground. Is there anything I can do to make them take off and start growing?
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

This seems to be one of those years when peppers grow slow for me. Mine were started in December and January and are still very small. Usually by this time they are as tall as my tomatoes because of the earlier start. I have only had two pepper seed grow at the normal pace one was a Jalapeno and the other was Pappadew. Usually bell peppers are twice as big as Pappadews by now.

I have started potting them up to larger pots and increasing the amount of fertilizer. I am also keeping them outside now and that seems to be helping more than anything.

I have had peppers do this before when everything else is growing normally. Thank goodness it has only happened twice before.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #3
Divina3315
Tomatovillian™

Mine are doing the same thing
Divina3315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #4
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Heat from bottom,water from bottom, don't feed them either. Peppers grow different from each others. I grew rare ones the last 2 years inside here in New England start them early here. They are the last to go out in June and the smallest plants in my garden till July easy. I do use lights also and these are the last plants inside under lights, even these 2 of each types are so different. None grow the same some 8" tall other smaller. I also don't grow bell peppers, these are Pepperdau and very hot ones, and Slovenia peppers from Marko which are Hybrids from Europe wonderful from www. Superior
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #5
Divina3315
Tomatovillian™

I use a heat mat also, I know they germinate a lot faster. The problem with mine are after they come up about 2-3" they have stopped growing. What can I use to fertilize them? They are already outside.......
Old March 21, 2013   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You might do a soil PH test.
It may be too alkali.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #7
Divina3315
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth I'll do that
Old March 21, 2013   #8
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Neptune harvest fertilizer,very weak in ground very little on leaves. This works great for a jump start, so easy diluted i spray some on leaves or spray under plants in dirt.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #9
armac
Tomatovillian™

if you are looking for a quick vertical jump, look into GA3
armac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #10
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like the Ferti-pots aren't the hot ticket...I wouldn't use them again.

Temporarily, more light and liquid fertilizer would be helpful.

Also, if it isn't very warm in your greenhouse, they will just tread water. Peppers like warm temps to grow.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #11
Keger
Tomatovillian™

I think they just want it hotter outside and longer daylight. I know I am picking peppers in Sept-Dec long, long after tomatoes are gone.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #12
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

It's been plenty warm here. 96 deg on Monday and they have been in the greenhouse soaking up sun. I think the real villain here is those pots. I'm growing these for a customer who wanted them in those type of pots like the commercial growers use. They must be doing something I am not and probably am not capable of doing. I think you can get some 1020 trays that are divided up into cells. I may try that next if my customer thinks they can use this type of system with their mechanical transplanter. I'm growing the same peppers in about the same size root zone but in little plastic pots and they are doing fine. My customer needs about 90 transplants for it to be worthwhile.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #13
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

You didn't tell us what varieties of peppers. Some varieties, generally the super hot ones like Bhut Jolokia, don't germinate or grow quickly which is why I start them extra early.

Aussming the varieties aren't the slow growing types: I don't believe in nor do I use those peat pot fertil things. So, what happens if you take a couple of those seedlings and put them in a standard 3.5" container with some good potting mix like pro-mix bx? If you do this check out what the roots look like - I think they won't be well developed which is a reason I don't like the feriti pot thingys. If they start taking off after you transplant a couple for experimentation puposes you have your answer. Please report back.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #14
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Some peppers can be stunted for a while by even a single chilling. Don't have to freeze, just hit the 40's.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote