Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 6, 2015   #1
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default Peony root storage

I bought a peony root on clearance, it's too late to put it in the ground, how should I store it?

In a pot of dirt? In a basket so it can have air circulation?

I am hoping to plant in next May or June. It's firm and not rotting.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2015   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Bare root peonies should be planted in the fall between mid-September and mid- October so there is still time to get it in. Put it where there will be lots of sun. Make sure there is well drained soil since soggy rooted peonies will rot and die. Bone meal or bulb fertilizer may be used but don't let the fertilizer get on the root directly. Soak the root for 15-30 minutes to rehydrate it before planting. Dig a hole big enough so that you do not bend the root. Put the root in the hole so that the eyes are 1 inch below ground. Too deep and it will not flower. Water it in since it will begin to grow new roots yet this fall. Water several times about a gallon at a time when the soil looks dry until the soil freezes.

Why just one? Nothings says spring like a row of peonies all blooming in May.
Old October 6, 2015   #3
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Peony loves a freezing winter. I'd plant the bare root as soon as possible before it completely dries out and lose its viability. Don't forget to first re-hydrate the root for a couple hours in a bucket of water, this is critical to reviving the roots.

http://www.pallensmith.com/articles/peony-planting
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2015   #4
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I am in Wisconsin and I find that fall is a great time for planting perennials. It allows the roots to get established before having to support top growth. It will be beautiful in spring if you get it planted now.
Old October 7, 2015   #5
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your help!

I will get it in this week then. Maybe even tomorrow in my new herb and perennial bed.

It's a bright pink peony called Felix Crousse. Paul F...only one because there was only one left
Old October 7, 2015   #6
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Too deep and it will not flower.
Do you happen to know, is there a critical time in bud formation when optimum depth is important? Depth of our peonies can vary quite a lot -- winter protection, burrowing critters that throw their diggings on the peonies, heavy mulch or extra soil layer that heaven puts on them at various seasons, etc. -- and I've wondered whether there was a time in their life cycle when depth was critical for the plant to initiate buds.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2015   #7
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

It was still very bendable so not dry? But I soaked it for about an hour and planted it with compost in the hole and spread an inch of it over the top. There were white roots starting so I think it was still alive!

(Now please, please don't die over winter!)
Old October 7, 2015   #8
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

The white buds are eyes, where the new shoots will grow.

- Winter Care - from the theplantexpert

If the peonies have just been planted that year, it is recommended that you place a 2 or 3" (5 - 8 cm) thick layer of leaf or straw mulch over the plant, after the ground freezes. Remove this mulch in mid-spring.

from peonysevy -

Once you plant them keep an eye on them and make sure the frost does not heave them out of the ground. New peonies are susceptible to frost heaving as they do not have their feeder roots to hold them in place. Any peonies heaved out of the ground should be put back to their original location. If it is too frozen to do so they can be covered in place with soil until the ground thaws or taken in and placed in peat moss in the refrigerator until the ground thaws enough to dig.

Last edited by Aerial; October 7, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote