Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 28, 2017   #406
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Scott View Post
Today I received in the mail a package from Heritage Seed with three varieties I have been dying to try. Rebel Yell, Girl Girl's Weird Thing and German Johnson Benton Strain. I also received a free pack of Hillbilly. Steve must have been reading my mind because I just found out a neighbor can only eat low acid tomatoes, so Hillbilly is the perfect tomato to grow for her.

Heritage Seed has a great selection and great service. Also a great selection of dwarf varieties.
Hi Scott,

Thank you for the mention and kind words. It is Ellie who is a mind reader, she does all of the shipping and gift seed choices for Heritage Seed Market. I will pass your note along to her!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #407
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Hi Scott,

Thank you for the mention and kind words. It is Ellie who is a mind reader, she does all of the shipping and gift seed choices for Heritage Seed Market. I will pass your note along to her!

Steve
Steve:

Have you had any reports of PL from your Hillbilly seeds? One of the seedlings I started from your Hillbilly seeds is clearly PL. The others are RL. I am going to grow out the PL and see what it turns out to be.

I know there is already a Hillbilly PL, as I got seeds for that variety from Carolyn a few years back. A fantastic tomato. Late but great.

Maybe this is a mutation or a cross. Or maybe I just messed up and a Rebel Yell seed got planted with the Hillbilly.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #408
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Steve:

Have you had any reports of PL from your Hillbilly seeds? One of the seedlings I started from your Hillbilly seeds is clearly PL. The others are RL. I am going to grow out the PL and see what it turns out to be.

I know there is already a Hillbilly PL, as I got seeds for that variety from Carolyn a few years back. A fantastic tomato. Late but great.

Maybe this is a mutation or a cross. Or maybe I just messed up and a Rebel Yell seed got planted with the Hillbilly.
Yes,this is the one you probably got from me

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/H...ly_Potato_Leaf

Leaf mutations are quite common, especially RL to PL,but regardless of the leaf form,Hillbilly,like all gold/red bi-color varieties is not Low acid at all.

For so many years different seed vendors said that but it's just not true. They based that on tasting the variety,but they all have high sugar content which masks the normal acidity if one were to actually measure the internal pH.

Just noting that the German Johnson Benton strain will be in the upcoming seed offer, just don't ask me when.

Carolyn
Old June 11, 2017   #409
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes,this is the one you probably got from me

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/H...ly_Potato_Leaf

Leaf mutations are quite common, especially RL to PL,but regardless of the leaf form,Hillbilly,like all gold/red bi-color varieties is not Low acid at all.

For so many years different seed vendors said that but it's just not true. They based that on tasting the variety,but they all have high sugar content which masks the normal acidity if one were to actually measure the internal pH.

Just noting that the German Johnson Benton strain will be in the upcoming seed offer, just don't ask me when.

Carolyn
Yes Carolyn, that is the one. The season after I grew the Hillbilly PL a volunteer came up in my rose garden, fifty feet away from the tomato bed. I let it grow as a mystery plant. It was Hillbilly PL and the most healthy and productive plant I had grown to date.

Thanks for the info on acidity. It just goes to show you can't trust everything you read online.
Old August 2, 2017   #410
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Bunny Hop Seeds’ Fifty Cent Season-Ending Sale is On!

Anything listed (and not restocked) by Bunny Hop Seeds before the summer of 2016 is now fifty cents per packet. Some are low-stocked, but I have more and will be replenishing these until they are all gone.

Several more at $2.00 or less!
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #411
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post

Anything listed (and not restocked) by Bunny Hop Seeds before the summer of 2016 is now fifty cents per packet. Some are low-stocked, but I have more and will be replenishing these until they are all gone.

Good to hear about the sale. I wanted you to know that the Hillbilly RL you sent gave me a PL. I know that Hillbilly PL already exists as I have grown it before from seeds given by Carolyn. The other Hillbilly seeds I planted form the pack you sent came up RL as expected.

I don't have any ripe fruit yet, but the plant is doing great in a 10 gallon grow bag. If it turns out to be Hillbilly PL, I will send you some seeds. Or, it could be a cross, which might be even more interesting. Pics below.

I am positive I didn't mix up the seeds as I only planted the Hillbilly after my GGWT fell to damping off. It is the only seed I started that day.

Hillbilly1.jpg

Hillbilly2.jpg
Old August 2, 2017   #412
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post

Pati, thanks for posting the site updates, I appreciate it!

Steve
Old August 3, 2017   #413
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Good to hear about the sale. I wanted you to know that the Hillbilly RL you sent gave me a PL. I know that Hillbilly PL already exists as I have grown it before from seeds given by Carolyn. The other Hillbilly seeds I planted form the pack you sent came up RL as expected.

I don't have any ripe fruit yet, but the plant is doing great in a 10 gallon grow bag. If it turns out to be Hillbilly PL, I will send you some seeds. Or, it could be a cross, which might be even more interesting. Pics below.

I am positive I didn't mix up the seeds as I only planted the Hillbilly after my GGWT fell to damping off. It is the only seed I started that day.]

Scott,

Thank you for the feedback! The "Hillbilly" seeds Ellie sent were from her stash of gift seeds. When her growouts don’t produce the quantity of seeds necessary to list at the site she will often send them as gifts. I'm guessing you have a heterozygous line of Hillbilly (rather than a cross or mutation). If it turns out to be an exceptional segregation then you might grow it side-by-side with "Hillbilly Potato Leaf" to determine if there is a difference. It looks like your plants are doing great with our unusual, hot, humid weather. How are your plants doing in general? Spider mites?

Steve
Old August 3, 2017   #414
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Scott,

Thank you for the feedback! The "Hillbilly" seeds Ellie sent were from her stash of gift seeds. When her growouts don’t produce the quantity of seeds necessary to list at the site she will often send them as gifts. I'm guessing you have a heterozygous line of Hillbilly (rather than a cross or mutation). If it turns out to be an exceptional segregation then you might grow it side-by-side with "Hillbilly Potato Leaf" to determine if there is a difference. It looks like your plants are doing great with our unusual, hot, humid weather. How are your plants doing in general? Spider mites?

Steve
Steve:

I moved from the big property in Valley Center and now am about 7 miles from the Pacific Ocean. I went from 2 1/2 acres to about 80 sq feet for my garden. The property is on a canyon leading directly down to the Pacific, so we have almost a constant breeze of 5-10 mph. Summertime highs are in the high 70s to low 90s. Humidity here is way higher than what I am used to. This year has been unusually humid.

This is my first year using grow bags. I have found the grow bags much easier than growing in ground. ProMix HP, a little Tomato Tone and Texas Tomato Food and the plants get just as big as plants in ground. Since I have room for only 8-10 plants, they get more attention and I tend to catch problems earlier. After losing a few tomatoes to BER, I have found that it is necessary to water twice a day in this heat.

The biggest problem here is Tomato Russet Mites. I think the constant wind is a culprit. Here the TRM doesn't start from the bottom up as they did at the old place. They tend to start at new growth. I have lost Momotaro, and Cherokee Purple to TRM. I nearly lost Kelloggs Breakfast and Sungold to a combination of TRM and Early Blight.
Cosmonaut Volkov was a victim of being planted in only a 5 gallon grow bag and not being trained to only a one or two stems. It produced an enormous amount of tomatoes early on, but simply became root bound. Next year no tomato gets less that a 10 gallon bag.

I am treating the TRM with a combo of DE and pyrethrum. It seems to work as a preventative on plants not already affected and at least slows them down on other plants. Just when you think they are under control, they come back. Maybe new one blowing in on the wind. Next year I won't wait until plants start to look distressed.

I saw more Tomato Horn Worms here this spring than I saw in 10 years in Valley Center. I got tired of picking them off, so sprayed a little BT and haven't seen one since.

BTW, the German Johnson Benton Strain and Rebel Yell I got from you are loading up with fruit and look fantastic. I may have to cull fruit from Rebel Yell. Eleven tomatoes on a single truss is too much. I noticed yesterday that TRM is just starting on the GJBT. The first indication is that the sepals turn brown on newly set fruit and the immature buds turn brown and drop off.
Old August 5, 2017   #415
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Scott, thanks for the update, you picked a good year to move closer to the ocean!

Steve
Old August 24, 2017   #416
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Scott,

Steve
Steve:

It turns out the PL surprise is indeed a Hillbilly. It is producing very well with 25+ fruit set. This is the first to blush and the biggest. I have bagged some blossoms and will be saving seeds. Not bad for a 10 gallon grow bag!

Hillbilly PLIMG_20170824_163859429 (2).jpg
Old September 4, 2017   #417
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Ellie at Bunny Hop Seeds has been busily restocking and adding new varieties to her listings over the last two weeks.

Some are limited stock so check them out before they're gone!
Old September 25, 2017   #418
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Steve I'm ready to buy some seeds again.. Any recommendations for next year? I don't like any of the blue crosses or cherries. I know taste is subjective but.. Can you suggest some real tasty new varieties your offering. Thanks
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #419
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Bunny Hop Seeds is having a Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale! http://heritageseedmarket.com/
Old November 28, 2017   #420
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Steve I'm ready to buy some seeds again.. Any recommendations for next year? I don't like any of the blue crosses or cherries. I know taste is subjective but.. Can you suggest some real tasty new varieties your offering. Thanks
Delerium,

Great to see the "mad scientist" is still around! I sent you a PM...

Steve