Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 24, 2015   #1
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone tried to dehybridize Jet Star?

Just curious, as it is one of the two hybrids I still grow. To me it is a very good tasting, dependable tomato that grows continuously in all conditions, heat and humidity do not stop Jet Star, when others shut down.I did find this in my search, a quote from Carolyn137 "And I know of two folks who plan to dehybridize Supersonic and Jet Star and I've offered the few seeds I have of Moreton Hybrid to them to complete the trio." Was curious as to how that worked out.Thanks

Last edited by seaeagle; April 24, 2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Capitalization
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Several years ago, I grew two plants from F2 seeds from Jet Star and got nice red tomatoes in two different sizes. One plant gave consistently larger tomatoes than the other. Both had decent flavor, and both had more ruffled shoulders than the F1 hybrid tomatoes.

The following year I grew two plants from F3 seeds out of the larger tomatoes and got essentially the same results. I never followed up with F4s or beyond.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #3
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Travis,I'm not surprised you got ruffled shoulders, because every once in a while I'll get one like that off the F1 Jet Star.I'm assuming when you say the taste was decent, it wasn't as good as the F1. Thanks again
Old April 24, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Just curious, as it is one of the two hybrids I still grow. To me it is a very good tasting, dependable tomato that grows continuously in all conditions, heat and humidity do not stop Jet Star, when others shut down.I did find this in my search, a quote from Carolyn137 "And I know of two folks who plan to dehybridize Supersonic and Jet Star and I've offered the few seeds I have of Moreton Hybrid to them to complete the trio." Was curious as to how that worked out.Thanks
That comment from me must have been when Moran seeds bought out Harris Seeds to form HarrisMoran seeds and that was a long time ago. Harris employees bought their way out of Moran and all three of those, Jet Star F1, Supersonic F1 and Moreton Hybrid have been very available now for many years.

Just today I was looking through the Harris seed catalog and of course all three are there. Harris seeds always gives THE best germination for me, whether it be tomatoes or flower seeds, or whatever, and their prices for seeds is outstanding,

http://www.harrisseeds.com/?_cr=ppc|...FUgkgQod4kkAJQ

Carolyn
Old April 24, 2015   #5
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Yes that was from a thread back in 2006.I didn't know it was that old,and I also saw something about another Harris hybrid you thought was outstanding, but they no longer have, i think it was called Starpak.Maybe one day they will bring that one back.Here's the thread:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...highlight=star
Old April 25, 2015   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Yes that was from a thread back in 2006.I didn't know it was that old,and I also saw something about another Harris hybrid you thought was outstanding, but they no longer have, i think it was called Starpak.Maybe one day they will bring that one back.Here's the thread:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...highlight=star
I enjoyed reading that thread and YES Starpak was one of my faves and you saw in that thread that I tried to convince Moran to send me the two parents of Starpak, but failed.

I first knew about it when Charlie, who was working our farm at the time got seeds for it for trial, being a commercial farmer and to this day I can still picture where that field was.

I talked him out of a few seeds and grew a few plants each year in my own field at the farm, but eventually there were no seeds to be had.

I don't know if it was similar to the Moreton Hybrid story where one of the original parents was lost and then sometime later was found again,

Carolyn
Old April 25, 2015   #7
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Here is what i found on Star Pak.It sounds like the perfect tomato for my area, on the coast of Virginia, where humidity is pretty bad.Tolerances include heat and humidity.I purchased Eva Purple Ball seeds last year because it said it thrived in heat and humidity and it does. it was the most beautiful plant in my garden and produced continuously until frost as did Jet Star. Star Pak sounds like a bigger plant than Jet Star also. If they ever brought it back I would try it.OK, wouldn't let me post the link,

Cultivar: Star Pak

Will reach maturity in 79 days. Foliage is green and fruit is red, measures 3 inches across. Good for eastern climates but can handle many climates as long as the growing season isn't too short. Try use seaweed fertilizer and don't forget to mulch in colder climates.Height:6 ft. to 20 ft.Tolerances: Heat and Humidity