Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old October 6, 2017   #1
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Default Breeding a new Purple-seeded pea variety

Working on breeding a new purple-seed pea variety. I feel like bragging, so don't get annoyed, lol.

https://keen101.wordpress.com/2017/0...-purple-seeds/
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

How cool is that? Bragging rights are well deserved.

How do they taste?
Old October 7, 2017   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
Working on breeding a new purple-seed pea variety. I feel like bragging, so don't get annoyed, lol.

https://keen101.wordpress.com/2017/0...-purple-seeds/

I know you like colors Keen,so you've got the peas that are stable,yes? So what are you aiming for,color wise, for the pods?

Purple and pink go well together, so what do you think about that?

Lastly,help me remember about pod colors we already have viz. gold,yellow,red, purple, well green for sure, and same for pea colors.

Carolyn, and why can't I think of the name of the other person who is into landraces as you are and he was breeding peas last I knew. Please give me his name. And yes I've done the alphabet trying to remember and that didn't work.
Old October 7, 2017   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I know you like colors Keen,so you've got the peas that are stable,yes? So what are you aiming for,color wise, for the pods?

Purple and pink go well together, so what do you think about that?

Lastly,help me remember about pod colors we already have viz. gold,yellow,red, purple, well green for sure, and same for pea colors.

Carolyn, and why can't I think of the name of the other person who is into landraces as you are and he was breeding peas last I knew. Please give me his name. And yes I've done the alphabet trying to remember and that didn't work.
Joseph?
Old October 7, 2017   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

Keen, are they a "soup" pea or an eating pea? I have an interest in wrinkled sweet shelling pes but because I like eating them so much.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2017   #6
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Well these are the very first amount, so all i have is the ones pictured. May need to grow them out a little more to be able to taste them. Too precious at this point for that. Still segregating for traits, so i don't know what the final "edibility genes" will be. One of the original parents was a tiny purple seeded pea with spindly tiny weak plants probably a soup pea. The other parent was one of my favorite, a strong robust pea with thick stems and large leaves, but with a super dwarf habit, and decent large wrinkled peas that tasted good (i think anyway).

Stable? Yes and no. The purple seed trait is dominant in this case, so sorta stable. I suppose that there is still some possibility for the non-purple trait to segregate back out with another non-purple trait so that the purple seed coat is lost. Ideally two copies of the dominant purple seed gene would be best for stability, but hard to keep track of. Still segregating for other traits as well. Hoping to recover the super dwarf trait at some point and good edibility traits.

Yeah, pod colors are: Yellow, "Orange", (possibly gold if you cross yellow with orange), purple, red, and green. Yeah, Joseph and i were both working on red-podded peas based on Rebsie Fairholm's original cross in 2008 in England. Joseph has had terrible luck with peas lately so he has mostly given up on them for now except dwarf and winter soup peas i think. He had a seed failure / loss of his seeds when moving a year or two ago, so it was nice to be able to send him some red-podded peas back to him this year. Hopefully they will do well for him.

Good question. I'd like to be able to keep using this line to breed for good eating peas, but since one parent was basically a soup pea and the other a decent eating pea i don't really know what the end result will be just yet. If i get a soup pea i can keep using it in crosses with other good eating peas in the future.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2017   #7
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

In any case, a feast for the eyes!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2017   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Joseph?
Absolutely and I had to google Joseph landraces to find his last name. So thanks for the clue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jose...&bih=815&dpr=1

Carolyn
Old October 7, 2017   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
Well these are the very first amount, so all i have is the ones pictured. May need to grow them out a little more to be able to taste them. Too precious at this point for that. Still segregating for traits, so i don't know what the final "edibility genes" will be. One of the original parents was a tiny purple seeded pea with spindly tiny weak plants probably a soup pea. The other parent was one of my favorite, a strong robust pea with thick stems and large leaves, but with a super dwarf habit, and decent large wrinkled peas that tasted good (i think anyway).

Stable? Yes and no. The purple seed trait is dominant in this case, so sorta stable. I suppose that there is still some possibility for the non-purple trait to segregate back out with another non-purple trait so that the purple seed coat is lost. Ideally two copies of the dominant purple seed gene would be best for stability, but hard to keep track of. Still segregating for other traits as well. Hoping to recover the super dwarf trait at some point and good edibility traits.

Yeah, pod colors are: Yellow, "Orange", (possibly gold if you cross yellow with orange), purple, red, and green. Yeah, Joseph and i were both working on red-podded peas based on Rebsie Fairholm's original cross in 2008 in England. Joseph has had terrible luck with peas lately so he has mostly given up on them for now except dwarf and winter soup peas i think. He had a seed failure / loss of his seeds when moving a year or two ago, so it was nice to be able to send him some red-podded peas back to him this year. Hopefully they will do well for him.

Good question. I'd like to be able to keep using this line to breed for good eating peas, but since one parent was basically a soup pea and the other a decent eating pea i don't really know what the end result will be just yet. If i get a soup pea i can keep using it in crosses with other good eating peas in the future.
I didn't read as much as I should have above and just thanked someone else for mentioning Joesph, when you were the first to do so. So thanks to you as well.

He used to post here at Tville as I recall,for sure at the original idig. Do either of you remember his user name?

Carolyn,the other one.
Old October 7, 2017   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

Keen, your peas look amazing! Keep at it, I'm sure you will get some that are good eating (big fan of edible pods myself...)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2017   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Joseph ?
We have a fellow member here by that name who posts in tomato forum . His practice is landrace.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote