Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 4, 2018   #10
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

I actually just got started as well as I’ve been reading up on all of the benefits of using work castings ( there are tons). I’ve had several cold (unsightly) piles of leaves and yard waste sitting for about a year.

I figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone and ordered a 100 gallon smart pot (fabric) filled it up with all the leaves and stuff from the yard. To this I added a wheelbarrow full of horse manure a bunch of alfalfa pellets and crushed basalt rock dust. I let that hot compost until it cooled off.

Then I re amended with 10 lbs neem meal (the castings retain neems beneficial properties) some brown kelp meal and malted barley.

I’ll let that go for about 6 months with 1000 red wriggles (they’ll multiply many times over by then) and I should end up with some pretty premium worm castings.

This is all I add to my no till beds so I combine everything into the vermicompost and apply a thick layer to the no till beds. Just add some compost teas and you’re all set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote