Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old August 27, 2007   #1
arnesr
Tomatovillian™

Default Termites in Pear Tree

My mom has a couple of pear trees, one Bartlet and another asian I think. Her Bartlett tree is always loaded with fruit and this year one of the branches broke during a mild storm. I pruned the branch off for her and noticed a couple of other smaller dead branches farther up. When I cut one of the dead brances I noticed that it was hollow in the middle and what looked like an ant came out briefly before returning back inside the tree branch. I assume that this is some sort of termite.

My mom also has some really old apple trees which over the years have been loosing branches and looking pretty sad. Now I'm thinking that the apple trees must be infested as well. The apple trees are older than I am, probably around 40-50 years old, so I'm guessing they are due to be replaced anyway and I'm not as concerned with losing them. The pear trees are younger though, maybe 25-30 years old and I'd really like to see her save them if possible. Is there anything that can be done to save these trees?
arnesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2007   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do you have fire ants up there yet?
They will live in trees sometimes.

If i were you I would trim all of the dead branchs off and burn them.

I don't think they have the Formosan termite up there yet , it is the only one that i have found that will eat live trees .
It is starting to be a problem in the south.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote