Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 6, 2018   #16
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had it drop below freezing overnight and four out of five seedlings survived.

Last edited by brownrexx; December 6, 2018 at 08:38 PM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2018   #17
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Yes they can tolerate frost.
Old December 6, 2018   #18
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Do you start them indoors? Do you plant them out as soon as the ground can be worked? (Mid March? Mid April?)
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2018   #19
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I can't usually find Amazing as seedlings so I start them indoors under my lights. Last year I got lazy and bought seedlings of Snow Crop and I got ugly heads about the size of golf balls. We didn't eat any of them.

I roto till my garden in the fall and then cover it with a thick layer of straw so it is fluffed up and ready for planting as soon as it warms up in the spring.

I just looked at my notes and we had a Nor' Easter on March 21 with 12" of snow last year so I planted cabbage and cauliflower seedlings on April 14. Normally it would be about the first week of April. Of course I harden off my seedlings before planting out into the garden.

Last edited by brownrexx; December 7, 2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: corrected variety name from Incredible to Amazing
Old December 6, 2018   #20
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I was recently lamenting about my difficulties growing cauliflower in another thread, so this is very helpful. I've looked all over google for seeds of "Incredible", but could only find "Amazing"! Do you remember your seed source for Incredible? Is it OP or hybrid, which would give some clues as to where to look. If it was a Burpee seed (who are suspect for renaming their old inventory as the new latest and greatest), it will be a bear to find.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2018   #21
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I was recently lamenting about my difficulties growing cauliflower in another thread, so this is very helpful. I've looked all over google for seeds of "Incredible", but could only find "Amazing"! Do you remember your seed source for Incredible? Is it OP or hybrid, which would give some clues as to where to look. If it was a Burpee seed (who are suspect for renaming their old inventory as the new latest and greatest), it will be a bear to find.

- Lisa
OMG I am so sorry it IS the variety called Amazing.

I don't know what I was thinking. Incredible is my corn variety. Sorry, sorry sorry. I will try to edit my previous posts to avoid confusing other people.
Old December 7, 2018   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

thanks for clarifying the variety... I was in search of it too.
Old December 7, 2018   #23
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I would so love to be able to grow cauliflower but it just doesn't work here. Tiny heads and if a few should get bigger, a pink discoloration. After many failures with both spring and fall plantings I finally did some deep reading and discovered it's our temp swings here that are the problem.

Apparently cauliflower needs steady cool and here we get alternating warm and cold stretches both fall/winter and spring. The same temp swings can get my onions bolting too.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2018   #24
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered "Amazing" from Baker Creek. (They gave me 6 months free shipping when I started an account- best move ever on their part. Every time I forget something or change my mind, they get an order from me.)
Old December 7, 2018   #25
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to make some of you look for the wrong variety. I was stressed out about getting a package in the mail before the post office closed and I didn't think clearly but that happens to me a lot this month!

Best of luck with the cauliflower Nan. I hope it grows as well for you as it did for me.
Old December 7, 2018   #26
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

oh, don't fret over that. pfft. if something that little was the biggest problem some people had they would be rejoicing. don't sweat the little stuff.
Old December 7, 2018   #27
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing cauliflower here successfully for over 30 years. I had some hits and misses and still do due to our frequent and huge temperature swings. I usually set out my plants in the fall as soon as the temperatures get cool and again in January and February. I usually have to have a hoop and plastic ready to cover them as they will get damaged by the cold or even killed if it gets really cold. If a head has started forming and it gets too cold the resulting head will have dark rotten spots in it when it gets mature so make sure it doesn't experience temps below about 28 or 29 without and adequate cover.

BT is a must. Keep the plants dusted or sprayed to prevent the worms from doing too much damage.

They are heavy feeders so keep them will fertilized and side dress them regularly to improve the size of the plants and thus the heads. Make sure the heads when they start forming are protected from the sun so they will remain white. I take a few of the outer leaves and pull them over and clip them together with a clothes pin or two. This keeps the heads covered and allows them to remain white.

It is better to cut them too soon than too late. If you wait too long to harvest them they will get a bit grainy in texture and taste stronger.

My favorite and most dependable varieties are Snow Crown and Bishop. Snow crown is faster to head and makes a good size head which is a real plus in the spring when sudden heat can really mess them up down here. Bishop is slower to head but makes huge heads so I always try to plant both. I still try out a few different varieties but haven't found any others as dependable.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2018   #28
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

When y'all get done harvesting your normal cauliflower, I've got the impossible for you (Romanesco seed).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2018   #29
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Is Romanesco hard to grow? Its fractals are adorable.
Old December 8, 2018   #30
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My success with broccoli and cauliflower is about 50%, romanesco... 0.0%.
I have 100% success with kohlrabi (almost no place for bugs to hide within it), but the taste is not inspiring.

I hope you can put your cauliflower in a sunnier location. Five hours of sunlight, along with using row covers, doesn't sound like the best combination.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote