Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 7, 2013   #1
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Default Why plant pepper plants close together(groups)??

This is my first time growing peppers and I have read in a few posts about people planting peppers in groups. Why is this done and is it done by varieties or does it matter? Thanks for the info.
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We plant peppers close together so they can support each other. I think it is also done because they often don't get very big.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

That is correct Fred. For support but also peppers are a plant that likes its roots in shade its fruit in high humidity and its tops in sun...So it likes the microclimate of crowded conditions as long as they don't shade them out. That's why I prefer low growing companions there too. With peppers it's all about the micro climate around each plant.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #4
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! So it's ok to plant sweet and hot peppers next to each other?? And how close to each other should they be? Thanks
Old March 7, 2013   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgardengal View Post
Interesting! So it's ok to plant sweet and hot peppers next to each other?? And how close to each other should they be? Thanks
well it depends on the variety but last year I planted mine 18 inches apart in staggered rows one foot apart forming a zig zag pattern and also grew several companions like basil cilantro tarragon etc between that. It was very tight.

Here is a nice vid showing pepper tightly packed. Not as tight as mine were, but still pretty close. She uses a slightly different system with the "companions" being the weeds growing between the rows and not herbs growing right in the rows. But I suspect it has a similar effect on the micro climate. She also uses black plastic to warm the soil, which is because she is way up in Montana and I am way down here in Oklahoma so I use paper and mulch to keep the soil cooler. But in any case you can get an idea.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJk4R...Z8kkEAHqMy-olT

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #6
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Scott and Fred for the info. Very informative video! I think I'm beginning to understand now
Old March 8, 2013   #7
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

I plant mine about ten inches apart. I am not sure why, but over the years I have observed that they do better, planted close. I thought it might have to do with pollination, but shading the roots is an interesting theory. Be sure to stake them, otherwise when the soil is saturated and it is windy they get blown over. It is good to mulch them as well. In a way the closer they are planted the higher will be your yield because the plant canopy fills 100% of the space, which is a very efficient use of space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May 18th 2012 Garden 042.jpg (509.8 KB, 146 views)
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013   #8
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much for the excellent info! I currently have way too many successful pepper seedlings so I was wondering about density and shading and voila! your posts
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #9
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Not to rain on anyone's parade or anything, but the downside of growing peppers closely together is that there is higher chance of crossing. When I planted my peppers further apart the crossing wasn't as bad. Also note that peppers can outcross. Of course accidental crossing is only an issue if you save seeds.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #10
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Planting closer can also help shade some fruts and reduce sunscald.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #11
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

I think I'll group a few and have some in pots to compare
Old March 13, 2013   #12
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Scott, thanks for posting that video, very interesting and informative!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #13
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

An advantage to growing peppers closely together is to provide shade to the fairly shallow root system that peppers have. With no mulch or shade from other plants notice how quickly pepper plants will wilt in hot dry weather.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #14
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Something not mentioned so far is to consider the heritage of the class of pepper you want to grow. By heritage I mean where did a type of pepper develop -- coastal islands or mountain foothills. It will make a big difference in how they grow and what conditions they do best in.

Most varieties in the Habanero family came from the Caribbean islands and the Yucatan where it's warm most of the time and very little day to nite temp difference. They will do best in your hotter areas.

Varieties like the Anchos came from the mountain foothills. They gennerally don't tolerate high temps as well. They also like cool nites or rather a nice temp difference between day and nite. If you have a hot summer with high humidity where the temps hardly drop at nite you will get lush plants but few fruit till the temp moderates in fall. By then there is not enough time for them to mature. They might do better if you can plant them in partial shade, especially afternoon shade.

Just some info gleaned from about 20 years of growing over 100 varieties of various hot chiles in Wisconsin.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #15
Gavriil
Tomatovillian™

Ya also grow them close together if ya have limited space and want a whole bunch of peppers for powder or whatever
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot Peppers 03.jpg (243.7 KB, 115 views)
Gavriil is offline   Reply With Quote