Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 3, 2017   #31
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday's peppers from bottom left, clockwise.
Big Thai Hot, Big Jim, Guajillo, Biker Billie, assorted Cheese, Big Bertha, Carnival,Corbaci, Manganji and Shish!to... Gypsy in the middle.

Last edited by pmcgrady; August 3, 2017 at 10:49 AM.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #32
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Pretty pic. I gave my dad a Biker Billy Jalapeno plant in the spring. He said the peppers are much hotter than he expected, more so than other jalapenos.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #33
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Pretty pic. I gave my dad a Biker Billy Jalapeno plant in the spring. He said the peppers are much hotter than he expected, more so than other jalapenos.
Yeah he's right they are hotter than normal jalapeños. The plants are putting out peppers like mad.
Old August 7, 2017   #34
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Hots at the top: Big Sun Habanero, Devil's Tongue, Peach Ghost
Sweets at the bottom: Golden Treasures, Ajvarski Sweet, Crunch Sweet Orange, and Stocky Golden Roaster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170806_171815(022222222222222222).jpg (308.2 KB, 122 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #35
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Hots at the top: Big Sun Habanero, Devil's Tongue, Peach Ghost
Sweets at the bottom: Golden Treasures, Ajvarski Sweet, Crunch Sweet Orange, and Stocky Golden Roaster
Those are some beauties Cole!
Old August 7, 2017   #36
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics everyone, I love all the varieties.

Ghost on the left top, Kracken Scorpion on the top right, the yellow is Devils Tongue and the peach color is a cross that popped up from the Devils Tongue. The 2nd pic is that cross, the peppers start off green then go solid purple before ripening to a peach color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170706_095601.jpg (55.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 20170610_085813.jpg (74.7 KB, 120 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #37
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Nice pics everyone, I love all the varieties.

Ghost on the left top, Kracken Scorpion on the top right, the yellow is Devils Tongue and the peach color is a cross that popped up from the Devils Tongue. The 2nd pic is that cross, the peppers start off green then go solid purple before ripening to a peach color.
Nice! The peach looks interesting, how's it taste?
Old August 7, 2017   #38
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Typically color sports don't taste any different. But sometimes they do. I suspect those of being crosses rather than sports.

Great haul, Rajun. Love the colors. What do you think of the pod shape of the peach DT? To me it seems smoother with a more rounded bottom. And very odd ripening change. A cross, maybe? Please save seed and try next year to see if it's anywhere near stable. Could become popular.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #39
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I think it taste and smells like a Habnero. It's oily and the heat kicks in instantly and it's full blast for a few minutes before it starts subsiding slowly. It's hotter than a Hab but I didn't taste any after notes because of the intense heat and it made my mouth start watering almost instantly. I rarely eat fresh hot peppers so I can't give a good review.
Old August 7, 2017   #40
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Typically color sports don't taste any different. But sometimes they do. I suspect those of being crosses rather than sports.

Great haul, Rajun. Love the colors. What do you think of the pod shape of the peach DT? To me it seems smoother with a more rounded bottom. And very odd ripening change. A cross, maybe? Please save seed and try next year to see if it's anywhere near stable. Could become popular.

This cross popped out of a pack of White Devils Tongue seeds. When the plants were all about 12" tall I could see this one pepper grew taller and had purple stems so I moved it to a 5 gallon bucket and kept it separated to save seeds. I'll grow out plants next year and see if the stems remain purple and maybe the flavor will change too.

Those pods are from the first peppers I picked and 99% of the peppers now all have a pointed tip. I think it resembles some Aji types and Pink Tiger.

It would be nice to know what was crossed to make Devils Tongue.

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; August 7, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old August 7, 2017   #41
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Devil's Tongue itself is quite an old variety, as I understand it. 10 years ago it wasn't commonly grown, though. Now it seems more popular. My experience is that the non-red colors aren't very stable and tend to revert to red.

I don't recall it having a distinctive flavor as does ghost. I only grew it a couple years.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Interested.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #43
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

AH Haa! Just the person I was thinking of to do a review.

Check your box on Saturday, I need a good review from a chili head and since you're a Hab junkie you'll know if it worth growing out.
Old August 8, 2017   #44
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Interesting! I've not noticed that because I rarely let them bloom, but I'll watch for it in the future.
I haven't noticed that but I pull all the blooms off way before they open while I am waiting to set them out in the garden. I know if you let the first bloom set and grow the plant will suffer but if you keep the blooms culled until the plant gets about 16 to 18 inches high before letting them set fruit the plant will get much bigger. The only problem with that is you lose your earliest peppers. I will let a few make early in order to have some peppers early but most are kept culled til they reach a decent size.

The shading has cut the sun scald by 80% or more and the plants in the shade are actually making larger peppers and just as many as the ones in full sun. I still have problems with leaf footed bugs and stink bugs stinging them and then when they ripen they will have soft spots develop where they were stung. I guess I am going to have to use my Permethrin, DE and Dawn mix on my bells in the next day or so and put a stop to that if I can. I picked all the blushing ones off today so they can afford to go a few days without picking.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017   #45
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Got out this morning at first light and sprayed my bell peppers and tomatoes with the Permethrin, DE, Dawn and Copper. I hope it takes care of the stink bugs and leaf footed bugs which are ruining about half my bells. I also hope that all that soap in the mix doesn't damage the leaves if it gets really hot today. I have noticed that bell peppers seem more sensitive to damage from spraying than tomatoes. Maybe I should have lightened up on the amount of Dawn in the mix but since I had a few tomato plants with early signs of mite infestation I wanted to get them before they could multiply too much and the heavy dose of soap really makes the spray more effective and makes it stick better too.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote