Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 28, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Updated Germination for Tomatoes Planted for this year

Here is a link to my current tomato seed germination data.

http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/Tec...ermination.htm

Note that those with yellow fields are the lowest germination experienced this year. (not including the current flat of 50 "experimental" varieties - the dwarf F1s, Brandywine F3s, Bradley's striped varieties, etc - those should pop through this weekend).

Also, germination percentages over 100 are due to planting of doubled or stuck together seeds (I was not too picky when planting).

There is also information on expected leaf shapes - the only regular leaf variety that showed any potato leaf is Yugoslavian. Some potato leaf varieties had a small percentage of regular leaf, which are likely F1 crosses - so this is a pretty good indicator of what sort of percent crosses I experience in my garden.

I will upload eggplant and pepper germination info when I get the chance.
Old March 28, 2006   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Well, that answers one question and raises another!

I was going to post regarding germination on heart shaped varieties - two of my no shows this year are Orange Strawberry (two sources) and Ukrainian Heart - both planted twice, and two I really wanted to try

I had thought perhaps hearts were not as long-lived as others - but your results show that not to be true.

What was also interesting was the decline in germination on your Lucky Cross and both leaf types still showing up. Were these Lucky Cross from the same plant i.e. 02-57? I opted for Lucky Cross as opposed to Oaxacan Jewel so will keep an eye out for leaf type. Unfortunately, the person who kindly shared seed did not have info on source year.

Also curious - did you lose all your Grub's Green or no germination - or are they counted in your experimental group?

Thank you Craig,
Old March 28, 2006   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Grub's Green are indeed in with the Experimentals. The Grub's Green RL that I got directly from the Grubster germinated well, and has some PL mixed in (obviously not stable). I will have another 50+ varieties to report on, probably in two weeks or so.

No, I've found heart shaped varieties no more prone to germ. drop off than round or paste types. What is clear is the tendency of them to really get the crud - I've lost most of my White Oxheart to the crud this year, and the same happened with Oxheart last year.

Lucky Cross does tend to drop off in germination rather quickly, and also suffer from relatively low germination, and I am not sure why! Mexico Midget and Red Robin are two other varieties I am having germination issues with despite relatively fresh or fresh seed.

so many things we don't understand!
Old March 28, 2006   #4
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

I had great germination of Mexico Midget (at least 90%) with seed purchased in mid 2005 from Victory Seed Co. However, Lucky Cross only had 3/10 germination from seeds savedf rom Tomatopalooza[tm] III. All are PL.
Old March 28, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I havn't had the time yet to look at Craig's germination data, but speaking to seed viability for heart shaped varieties, in those two seed offers I did at GW it was fairly clear to me that the hearts did drop off considerably re germination based on seed age, from the feedback that was given back to me in those long threads where I asked for feedback.
Old March 29, 2006   #6
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I am having trouple with the Green Giant seeds you sent. I had 1 for 18 sprouted.
Other varieties planted in same cell had over 90% germination, so it is not my growing conditions.
Think they got hammered in the mail??
Brad........
feraltomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2006   #7
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Could be Brad.

My GG from Craig came up 100%. Of course, I got the
tomato and not the seeds, so I saved them myself. But Craig's pretty good at saving seed, so I'm guess the USPS has something to do with it.

At least you got 1! All you need to experience this delightful variety. (and save seeds! )

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2006   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Brad, that is a mystery - I am around 95% in 5 days from over 60 seeds planted - Fusion (Alabama) and Laurel (California) had similarly high germination, as did those in Australia. If the seeds looked OK, I can't imagine that they were mechanically damaged in transit.

Craig
Old April 1, 2006   #9
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Hi Craig - In your germination data, I was wondering why there are multiple "batches" of certain varieties - are they different seed sources?