Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2018   #46
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It looks to me like those plants encountered some pretty high winds. If you look at the plant whose stem is at the back side of the jar, it's stem has been twisted cutting off it's vascular system. Have these plants been out in a recent storm? They are far too wet which can also be a factor and cause all kinds of disease.

So sorry this happened.
Old March 21, 2018   #47
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

May I also suggest there may not be enough soil in the pot for it? That is a very leggy thin stem. I think the clear pot would be a good size for it if filled to the top, and it would allow for more root development, strengthening the plant.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #48
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

They were inside and not subject to winds ,but it is a good theory.

I do wonder if I started them too early. They were beautiful until they got pretty large in the cups. I started treating with dilute fish fert to give them more nutrition, still hope I can save them. These in the pic are, sadly, toast.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #49
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Fish emulsion is a proven preventative in damping off. Hopefully it will help your seedlings recover.

https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/2267/

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44486
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #50
bower
Tomatovillian™

Scott, were they in direct sun? Just wondering if it could be heat damage. I would have guessed wind too, but heat would be my second guess. So disappointing when something like this happens.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #51
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Scott, were they in direct sun? Just wondering if it could be heat damage. I would have guessed wind too, but heat would be my second guess. So disappointing when something like this happens.
Maybe. I did put them on the porch where they got a got a couple of hours of sun.

But I think it is a combination of things - some kind of leaf mold, some kind of deficiency..... But I think I lost no more than 15 seedlings out of 300, so should come out OK. Oddly the Cherokee Purple were hit hardest.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote