Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 20, 2016   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think I'm a bit confused here.

The original OP coosa /cousa kind is what I got at Pinetree.

Yes, there are several F1 coosa/cousa types,Magda is one and I remembered another F1 I've grown called Barq.

But some are referring to climbing types and I wonder if you might be referring to what are called Armenian cukes,aka serpent ones,that come in 3 different stripes.

Armenian serpents cukes are not Cucumis Sativus,which are true cukes,they are Cucumis melo,actually a melon,have thin skins and are wonderfully delcious.

Some folks grow them on a trellis to keep the fruits more straight,I did once, but sheesh,they aren't called serpents for nothing, so I never did again, and just let them coil up,ala a snake.

The serpents are grown in Lebanon and also Armenia and countries nearby.

Carolyn
Old May 20, 2016   #17
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

There are some popular old OP Russian summer squaashes like these with light green skin.

Gribovskie 37
45-55 days

Beloplodnyi
36-45 days

There is also one Italian OP zucchini variety called Genovese from Zorzi Cementi seed company with light green fruit speckled with grey.

https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/produc...ovese-organic/

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; May 20, 2016 at 01:17 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #18
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

No Carolyn you have misunderstood, I put a list of cousa types on my first thread in which I named all those I could find,With the exception of the variety they call Coosa from Pine tree and said they are all Hybrids except Coosa. The other squash we talked about it the readily available OP Lebanese white one which is a marrow, and meant to be grown much bigger. Some folks use it for both sizes but they are not the same. I have grown Magda and Lebanese White Marrow side by side for several years, they are different in shape, in taste and maturity times. The one which is a marrow does not have the same density of flesh that the others do. They are both Lebanese and they are both similar colors but that is where the similarity ends.

I made a comment to liugi as a joke as we had both been looking for climbing zucchini in a another thread, something he was interested in, I laughed and stated there were no climbing cousa type squash to the best of my knowledge.

If you look at the beginning of the post it explains all the different ones and the AKA names for the white one many I have grown over the years apart from two

So I am fairly familiar with pretty much all of them except Pinetrees Coosa which may be the multi named Lebanese White, until I grow it I won't know.

The Italian ones are very different as are Andreys and as is the one luiigis shows too.

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 20, 2016 at 03:25 AM.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #19
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Cousa - or Kusa - is also the Arabic word for zucchini. At least in the Levantine Arabic (Israeli/Palestinian/Jordanian/Syrian). In all those places I've seen that small variety in the markets. (One can even find ready-made emptied zucchini in supermarkets, but self-respecting women do all the work from scratch!)
Stuffed zucchini is kusa mahshi. ... My mouth is watering now...
This is correct, kusa is generic name for zucchini, not the dish.

Fried kusa is "kusa meh'le"

Broiled kusa is "kusa meshoue"

Jeannine, i'll look for and buy what i can find. But to collect seeds (of all zukes) I thought the fruit should be overly ripe, almost to the point of it being inedible? The fruit in the market would be super green and young for best taste. I guess there's one sure way to find out.

Last edited by taboule; May 20, 2016 at 07:16 AM.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #20
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Taboule,

You are right as far as saving seeds goes, the fruit has to be WAY over size and hard.

For me the right Cousas are quite dense compared to a regular zucchini. That's so they don't "blow up" when the rice cooks.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #21
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Taboule you are probably right about the dish name too, I argued with my friend who started me on all this that the dish and the veggie would not have the same name but she insisted they did, maybe it is regional or a family thing but I stand corrected, and I thank you for that . I know she does not know the language just the cooking.

I am going to keep a few seeds from Magda I will let one plant go to maturity, it will be interesting to see what I get. I read an article on something else here that said hybrids are not always so. I have two shoots up this morning. That is enough.

It is interesting how different countries use some things. There is always an argument regarding a marrow in the UK, some claim it is just an overgrown zuchinni but it really isn't. The texture is more dense too and they are not designed to be eaten young, however they do not keep as well as winter squash. I grew up on English marrow, great big things, sliced open, scooped out and filled with ground meat and veggies etc . I tried it with an overgrown zucchini and it definitely was wrong, so I totally believe that there are many variations in types of zucchini which lets face it are summer squash. If I compare a crookneck , or a Gem to a zucchini I will find differences in texture too, yet I know many folks who insist that marrows and zucchini are the same.

I do think zuchinni changes a bit if overgrown though and it does have less water. If it didn't I wouldn't me able to make ""apple " pie filling with it LOL
Old May 21, 2016   #22
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

OK, taboule, I think that is Lebanese dialect (?). Never heard that or cannot remember.
I really miss the region, the food especially. One of these days I'll make some vegetable Maqloubeh for my family, with batenjeen - although the one we get here is usually imported from Spain and doesn't taste like fresh..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #23
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

You know this is a bit off topic but I would love to see a post for cultural differences, seeds, varieties, recipes, clothes, crafts , hobbies everything really, I find it a real blessing to live in and near a country where I can learn directly about peoples childhoods, ancestors etc., I am fascinated and very interested in all things other cultures and countries do and this seems a perfect place to do it..can we does anyone think. I am English/Canadian, Narnian you are Finnish, Andrey is in Minsk, many folks are in the US and Canada with other roots.

I would love someone to start one , in it's own place.
Old May 21, 2016   #24
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
OK, taboule, I think that is Lebanese dialect (?). Never heard that or cannot remember.
I really miss the region, the food especially. One of these days I'll make some vegetable Maqloubeh for my family, with batenjeen - although the one we get here is usually imported from Spain and doesn't taste like fresh..
Taboule is the Lebanese salad made of chopped parsley, mint, onion/scallion, tomatoes, tossed with soft/fluffed up bulgur, in a dressing of mashed garlic, lemon juice and EVOO. Eaten by hand using scoops of romaine lettuce leaves (if using a smaller leaf, one can load it up like a boat/canoe) or fresh grape leaves (which add tartness) or crispy cabbage leaves. Very elaborate and labor intensive, but so is all our cuisine. I can eat that dish 3 times a day.

Another salad we have that is a great mix too is called Fatoush. I'll save the recipe for another occasion.

I don't think I've ever heard of Maqloubeh.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #25
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I know what kind of salad taboule is very delicious, but needs lots of work. Fattoush, that's the one with flat bread right?
It's the two other dishes you mentioned I had no clue about.

Maqloubeh is a Palestinian/Jordanian dish with rice & vegetables, sometimes with meat.
One version:
http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/vegetable-makloubeh-shop
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #26
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine Anne,
What can I add to my soil less mix to enhance it for squash? I use large containers.
Thanks,
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #27
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I start with Sunshine 4 mix, add lime mixed in then compost about 1/4 . I use Galia organic complete fertilizer as a general one for everything it goes in the hole at final planting time, then chicken manure if I think they need a boost later on . That is pretty much all. I do have fish emulsion if I think the nitrogen needs a feed, which I use on everything if needed.

But I think you have access to different mixes than I do.
Old May 31, 2016   #28
DjonesNC
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing these for about 8 years and have some in the garden now. You may want to try Baker Creek for the seed; or if you have a Middle Eastern market nearby, you will find them there. Koosa is @ Baker Creek labeled Lebanese White Bush.
DjonesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #29
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you I regularly grow that one to harvest as a marrow much later and larger , but they are not the same as the one I am looking for. When you grow them side by side it is apparent they are different.
Old June 23, 2016   #30
bower
Tomatovillian™

Funny I had the same experience with old Magda seeds this year. A friend of ours wanted to try it so I dug out my four year old seeds - a dozen and put in two sixpacks on the heat mat. They sat there no sign for a couple of weeks, while Bianca de Trieste and a Round Zuch of the same vintage were up and leafing out.
Finally in desperation I went to the store and found a packet from Halifax Seeds - a hybrid kousa called "Lolita". I dumped out one of my sixpacks on the compost heap to set up the Lolita seeds, but before they were up, lo behold the other tray of Magdas started to sprout. I ended up with four Magdas after all. Guess I'll be comparing the two.
I would like to find an OP like Magda, it is truly the best summer squash I've ever tasted. Like Carolyn said, it's more versatile than other squashes, so tasty raw and quite nice in a salad.
I do like Bianca de Trieste too - they're sweet.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote