Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 27, 2013   #1
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Default Victorio Food Strainer and Sauce Maker

I am hooked. My son came up to visit today and he helped me harvest about 15 pounds of tomatoes, clean, quarter and run them through my new sauce maker in just less than 1 hour.

Last week I processed a similar amount which took me all afternoon, removing skins and seeds, losing much of the juice of the tomatoes in the process. Maybe I had to do that first to really appreciate the how easy this was, what a great tool!
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I bought one at the end of the season last year and didn't have a chance to try it out. Last week I had a bowl full paste tomatoes and decided to get out the Victorio and see how it worked. I can't believe I wasted all that time trying to do it with a foley food mill! Within no time I had a nice thick purée that needed only a little cooking down, and a small bowl of skins and seeds. I agree -- definitely worth the investment!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #3
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

It the best little tool out there. I bought the extra set of screens, so I use it for seedless jams, grape jam ( the kitchen nightmare, otherwise) and salsa as well as the stuff I make with the screen that come with the strainer.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #4
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

The model 250? Did you get the electric motor with it?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #5
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I got the 250, I liked all the different strainers and the motor that's available. I'm not doing enough volume to warrant needing a motor yet, but it's nice to know it's available.

I thought it would be messier than it was, there was no splattering, just breaking it down after using it, I quickly learned I shouldn't try to take the filter off the base, the whole thing should just go over to the sink.
Old July 31, 2013   #6
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Dak,

Thanks for starting this thread - based on the comments, I ordered one from Amazon yesterday. I also ordered the extra screens. I'm going to wait on the motor right now, but maybe later on I'll spring for that too.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #7
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

i use both paste tomatoes...polish linguisa is my favorite and my favorite beefstakes and hearts that i halve and bake in the oven to intensify the flavor and loose the excess water. cook them over the stove for about 45 minutes to thicken w some fresh basil and a bit of salt (NO SUGAR) and then run them through the machine. we use special glass jars which we boil then fill. we are up to about 100 jars/ year.
"In boca al lupo" with your sauce.
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #8
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

This looks awesome. So tired of burning my fingertips blanching and peeling.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #9
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Wondering how it compares to other brands?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #10
Dak
Tomatovillian™

LDx4, I hope you're happy with the Victorio, I do wish the plastic cone that helps filter the skin and seeds was a bit more durable, but overall, I'm really happy with it.

antichevarieta, polish linguisa does look like it would be a nice sauce tomato, is the plant prolific? This year one of the sauce tomatoes I'm growing is Costoluto Genovese, does that plant like to put out fruit! You've inspired me to roast some tomatoes this weekend. "Crepi il lupo" to you!

tlintx, this is so much easier that peeling by hand. Now, if they only had a machine that peeled roasted peppers.

ChrisK, I read the reviews on Amazon for the Victorio, B2B & the Roma, looked to me like more people were happy with the Victorio than the competition.
Old August 3, 2013   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yall might want to take a look at this.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eWU&cad=rja
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #12
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Yall might want to take a look at this.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eWU&cad=rja

I'm happy with my Victorio, if I want a motor, I can buy one later on.
Old August 3, 2013   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
I'm happy with my Victorio, if I want a motor, I can buy one later on.
It was a joke they had one for almost $600.00
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #14
Dak
Tomatovillian™

LOL, thanks for clarifying, thought you were showing how the *real* tomato growers do business.
Old August 4, 2013   #15
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Last year, my father found me an old Victorio strainer with all metal parts at a garage sale. I love it. But of course there is no motor.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote