Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old October 17, 2007   #16
kimera
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Sungold is a great tomato, but I would never grow it in the greenhouse-especially one 8 feet tall like mine is-it would take it over.
take over = lots of tomatoes

isn't that the goal?
kimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2007   #17
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Kimera-depends on what your goal is-mine is to have more than one or two varieties in the size of greenhouse that I have and BB will have.
Old November 30, 2007   #18
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Default Ok, here's a curious question about starting seeds in a greenhouse....

If I'm starting seeds in a greenhouse, can I just scatter them in a flat of dirt and leave them on the potting bench? OR...Do they need to be in some type of seed starting contraption with a clear dome to let light in and keep moisture in? I've always used the "dome" devices, but that was in my closet under a grow light. Does the greenhouse environment eliminate the need for this dome?

The greenhouse is only an 8 x 12, but it's an all glass, Victorian repro. "conservatory" type. If I had a greenhouse that was any larger, I'd probably move in. LOL. Too much space and I'd be out of control. I chose a smaller one because I was thinking more about resale on my house, and having something that wouldn't look garish in the middle of the suburbs. Orchids are a high priority for us and our weather gets more unpredictable every year, so I'm glad to have this.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote