Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 14, 2018   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have had some that were hotter than a fire cracker I have grown here in Texas.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #17
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
I used to have a site that sold peppers seeds from Hatch. I can't find it now. Does anyone else have any clue what I am talking about? This is quite vexing.
Here is the place I had ordered seeds from last year:

New Mexico Chile & Ristra

http://www.newmexicochileandristra.c...ory-s/1903.htm

Their prices are reasonable and shipping for seeds is $2.99.
You can calculate shipping by placing seeds in your cart, and on the cart page you can input your zip code and they list shipping options/costs (without going any further.)

Their seeds had 100% germination for me.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #18
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Ya'll need to bone up on Hatch chile varieties. Anaheim is one of many varieties, and it is the least appealing. It is mild and unspectacular to me. If you want some flavor and heat you should try Lumbre, Miss Junie, NM64, or Sandia. Even Big Jim is light years better than Anaheim. Lumbre competes with habanero for heat. I blend them for good flavor profile and heat.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Ya'll need to bone up on Hatch chile varieties. Anaheim is one of many varieties, and it is the least appealing. It is mild and unspectacular to me. If you want some flavor and heat you should try Lumbre, Miss Junie, NM64, or Sandia. Even Big Jim is light years better than Anaheim. Lumbre competes with habanero for heat. I blend them for good flavor profile and heat.
Anaheim is the run of the mill pepper restaurants cheap out with when they make things.
Old April 14, 2018   #20
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I'm growing Big Jim, Lumbre, Joe E Parker and Sandia ( from the ones you mentioned)
this year. Little too early to plant out yet, here 38 tonight, 28 tomorrow night.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018   #21
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cabluck View Post
Hatch peppers are Anaheims...with a good Public Relations team.
Anaheim chiles are New Mexico chiles that migrated to California. I forget the whole story, but a NM guy took come peppers to a friend at Anaheim California way back in the early part of the last century. Hence the name Anaheim. They are very similar but generally milder than the New Mexico varieties such as Big Jim and Sandia.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #22
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default 99¢ Hatches

The "Hatch" chiles bought by the K****r grocery company a few weeks ago were surprisingly hot—roughly, in the range of commercial jalapeño—and really good. The big pods kept ripening to orange, and those would be bagged up for 99¢, total. More than worth it.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #23
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I though I started Numex 6-4 seeds, but somehow I think I mixed it up with
shish*to seeds. Well, there's always next year.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #24
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Shish!to is a great pepper to have a mix up on.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #25
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post
The "Hatch" chiles bought by the K****r grocery company a few weeks ago were surprisingly hot—roughly, in the range of commercial jalapeño—and really good. The big pods kept ripening to orange, and those would be bagged up for 99¢, total. More than worth it.
You may not know exactly what variety you are getting if you buy some marked "Hatch" chiles as Hatch is not a variety but a description of where they were raised. But beware, there is a lot of untruthful advertising going on and a some so called Hatch chile may have never seen the Hatch valley of New Mexico. Just saying.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018   #26
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Fan of Pods, Not of Unaccountable Corporations

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
You may not know exactly what variety you are getting if you buy some marked "Hatch" chiles, as Hatch is not a variety, but a description of where they were raised. But beware: there is a lot of untruthful advertising going on, and some so-called "Hatch" chiles may have never seen the Hatch Valley of New Mexico.

Just saying.
Excellent point, and the company I declined to advertise for above is demonstrably capable of far worse than false advertising. They did blunder into some good pods, though, and hotter than I would've expected. (I saved seeds, but the chiles were picked green.)
Old September 23, 2018   #27
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here are some Hatch grown Miss Junie peppers I snagged at a roadside harvest stand about 3 weeks ago. They were green when I bought them but I let them sit in a big pan and dry out and turn red. I will save some seeds and I will boil the dried peppers in water for 25 minutes, then l will add garlic, salt, oregano and cumin and liquify that mix and then add a rue made of flour heated in oil to thicken. That is the way to make classic red chile sauce from New Mexico. Miss Junie is a fairly hot Hatch type variety so I won't doctor it for more heat. The flavor is euphoric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miss Junies 092318.jpg (258.6 KB, 67 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018   #28
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Someone from a pepper forum very kindly sent me some NuMex peppers he grew himself.
Those things were so dang hot. I could hardly eat them. I would prefer a mild to med heat
NuMex.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Someone from a pepper forum very kindly sent me some NuMex peppers he grew himself.
Those things were so dang hot. I could hardly eat them. I would prefer a mild to med heat
NuMex.
Yeah and it ain't a good hot.
Old September 24, 2018   #30
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Euphoric

Quote:
The flavor is euphoric.
That's a nice, enthusiastic description . . . especially for a tomato site. :-)