Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 29, 2022   #16
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Habitat.
Was Rose juicy or solid? I guess looking for juicy. I think part of flavor comes from the gel.
Purple Calabash, yes I tried it. Once....

Gary
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2022   #17
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Strawbaleking. I had to comment about Rose because it's one of my faves (from my days in Montreal when they were very popular variety at the nurseries there). Rose is very juicy! We like to cook halved tomatoes with bacon and egg for breakfast, but although Rose is delish, it swamps the plate!

I found Aunt Ginnie's Purple to be too sweet.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2022   #18
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

thanks linda!
Old November 29, 2022   #19
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Of your list, I would grow:

Indian Stripe
Earl's Faux
J.D.'s Special C-Tex
Terhune
Nepal
Druzba
Rose
Bloody Butcher
Goose Creek
Stump of the World

Caution that Goose Creek is a very tart tomato. You might consider growing Jaune Flammee as a counterpoint since it also is tart.

Not on your list but far better than many that are, Lynnwood, Box Car Willie, and Anna Russian would be near the top for me.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2022   #20
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Fusion!

Would Rebel Yell be an ok sub for Stump?
It's a somewhat smaller tomato with I thought Stump for a parent. Just working on the earliness factor.

On the Indian Stripe, I have tried 3 vendors and have tried IS reg, IS PL, and Indian Zebra. All always runts early on for 3 trials, so I always tossed them. Is this normal and would they take on their cousins in size maybe later? Spudakee was normal.

On Anna Russian I did try it last year here in PNW and it was too mild for me and had no gel at all. Maybe my tongue just wants that gel...

I had Box Car Willie in Cali only once it had a vegetal taste. An odd taste. But so did the Better Boy next to it... But I did get that same vegetal taste on the BB here as well this year. They both did poorly compared to the rest of the plants though for whatever reason, most of the rest were pretty happy.

What is your reliable seed source on Goose Creek?

Thanks for the advice, keep em coming when you can!

Gary

Last edited by strawbaleking; November 29, 2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old November 29, 2022   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

You might consider trying some of mine.
All are well suited to shorter seasons and a PNW climate. I haven’t had excellent results with most of those you have listed in my Canadian gardens.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2022   #22
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

When considering short season varieties, Gregori's Altai should be on the list.

Those of us who have the original Goose Creek have a different tomato than many that are sold today. I think https://knapps-fresh-vegies.com/g.html has it, but best to message Wi-Sunflower and get her take on it.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2022   #23
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Karen.

What are your top 10 favorites?

Gary
Old November 29, 2022   #24
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

If interested, google Karen Olivier tomatoes.
I mainly grow my own these days and a few favourite OP and new hybrids from Artisan.

If not, that’s ok and best of luck to you, I think many on your list are quite similar, almost interchangeable, particularly the pink beefsteaks so you could probably edit those to your favourites.
Personally I don’t find heirlooms like stump or Cherokee purple do very well for me here on Vancouver island, but that is just my experience and I grow everything outdoors.

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; November 29, 2022 at 11:27 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2022   #25
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Karen.

What are a few of your favorite OP?

And which Artisans?

Thanks for your help
Gary
Old December 2, 2022   #26
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Big Cheef - great tomato but even in a really good year production is middle of the road at best so I'd scratch that one and go with Indian Stripe, JD's or maybe Vorlon.
All of those have much better production and are earlier by several weeks.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2022   #27
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Patihum

Good to know about Big Cheef. I had chosen that in the list because Bill B54red said it did well later in cooler fall. But he's in Alabama so I knew I had to take that with a grain of salt. I do need earliness that's for sure.

Is Indian Stripe a small seedling and plant?
I have 3 different vendors and 3 years of trying IS reg, IS PL, and Indian Zebra and all seemed to be runts compared to the rest.

I did Vorlon this year and it was very vigorous, very productive, early, and set fruit the whole season, and had my preferred texture. But it was kinda bland compared to Spudakee. Spudakee had the almost same attributes so but not as bland, but was so productive it broke itself twice under the weight. Note to self keep eye on on this next season... I really did try to limit watering. I have to grow in large grow bags and worry that watering does wash out potassium. Do you think (or anyone out there reading this) think that if I use Greensand / potassium supplements it might increase flavors for Vorlon (or others)?

Thanks for the help!
Gary
Old December 11, 2022   #28
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Texture sensitive? Does that mean, like Goldilocks, tomatoes can be too soft or too firm?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote