Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 1, 2009   #1
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Default Wild Sweetie / US Seed Sources?

I read about a currant tomato in Amy Goldman's Heirloom Tomato book called Wild Sweetie that I'm interested in growing. I'm at a loss for tracking down seeds though. Goldman references a source in Australia called Diggers that no longer has the seeds. Nor did they have any suggestions. Seed Savers Exchange doesn't list them either. Any suggestions for where else to look?

By the way, this tomato is distinctly different from a tomato called Sweetie.

Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated.

John
Lamb Abbey Orchards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Abbey Orchards View Post
I read about a currant tomato in Amy Goldman's Heirloom Tomato book called Wild Sweetie that I'm interested in growing. I'm at a loss for tracking down seeds though. Goldman references a source in Australia called Diggers that no longer has the seeds. Nor did they have any suggestions. Seed Savers Exchange doesn't list them either. Any suggestions for where else to look?

By the way, this tomato is distinctly different from a tomato called Sweetie.

Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated.

John
John, I've just gone through this with someone else who asked about that variety and there is no commercial source that has seeds.

By doing one heck of a lot of background searching I was able to find one person who had a few 2005 seeds and he sent them to me to send on to the person who requested them but I don't think it would be right for me to open that pack, which I still have, and send some of them elsewhere.

I'm going to encourage the person who sent me the seeds to grow some out next year and offer them, and he is commercial.

When I wrote my book about tomatoes the Editor said that anything that I featured had to be available to the public, either commercially or through the SSE YEarbook, and I agreed with him, and strongly so. There are quite a few varieties in Amy's book which are not available to the public either commercially or through the Yearbook and that was also true of her melon and squash books. But that was her choice .
Old July 2, 2009   #3
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn:

I'm the same person with whom you corresponded in the GardenWeb forums about Wild Sweetie. I just wasn't aware that you'd actually gotten the seeds from your contact in Canada.

Will you be sending the seeds you've received back to your contact in Canada, or did this person happen to save some for growing out themselves?

I'd be very interested in trying to grow this variety next year myself, if you're able to forward any of these seeds. I'd greatly appreciate it.

John
Old July 2, 2009   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Abbey Orchards View Post
Carolyn:

I'm the same person with whom you corresponded in the GardenWeb forums about Wild Sweetie. I just wasn't aware that you'd actually gotten the seeds from your contact in Canada.

Will you be sending the seeds you've received back to your contact in Canada, or did this person happen to save some for growing out themselves?

I'd be very interested in trying to grow this variety next year myself, if you're able to forward any of these seeds. I'd greatly appreciate it.

John
John, I told you in the e-mail that he would be sending the seeds, he did, I received them a couple of weeks ago and since you had already told me that you weren't sowing the seed until next year I didn't think there was a hurry on getting the seeds out to you.

You already had sent me your home address in an e-mail as I requested and I'm sure I still have that and will get the seeds out to you this summer.

I assume he still kept some seeds back and no, I'm not sending back to him the seeds he sent me for you, as you asked above.

OK?
Old July 2, 2009   #5
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn:

Sorry for any confusion. And thanks again for going to the lengths you have to secure those seeds. It means a lot.

I'll keep my eyes open for them later this Summer.

Sincerely,

John