Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 4, 2007   #1
ZBQ
Tomatovillian™

Default Totally Tomatoes Problem (resolved)

I got off the phone earlier with Totally Tomatoes because my wife placed an order on Dec. 18th and it has yet to arrive(1/4/07). This was an on-line order. The card was charged on the 19th. Wife received confirmation e-mail in response to order on the 18th. All info was correct.

The young girl at the call center (I think her name was Heather, but I am not sure) told me that the product ordered (Compact Plant Trainer #52920) was on back order and had been on back order since before the order was placed and that she had no way of knowing when it would come in and that noone knows when an item is on back order but that it would be shipped when they received it. I felt like I was getting the run around and that she didn't really care because she just kept telling me that she doesn't deal with the website when I asked why we were not informed that the item was on back order. I finally asked for the person who DOES deal with the website and she acted all inconvenienced and said that she would have to see if she was at her desk.

She transferred me to Ruth. It was obvious from Ruth's first words that she was a friendly person who actually cared. She explained that there is a problem with the on-line ordering software that it does not notifiy anyone when a product is on back order. So the order just sits there till the product comes in and no one (company or customer)is notified in any way. She said they are taking steps to correct this problem and said that she was very frustrated by it. She must be one of there IT people because she was very knowlegeable about the inner workings of the on-line ordering process. Ruth told me that she would find out for me when the item was due to arrive from the manufacturer and get back with me. Roughly 2 hours later she personally called me and told me that they had just arrived a few minutes ago. She also told me that she told the shipping people that my order was to be filled first.

I told her that I had selected their company because of the good reviews posted here and she had never heard of T'ville so I gave her the addy and suggested that she register and make a post about the problems they are having because it would be good customer relations. She said it was an excellent idea and was registering while we were speaking. For some reason she couldn't log on but said she would check tommorow.

Just thought I would pass this along.

The call center girl needs some coaching in "I don't know how to fix your problem but I willl find someone who can." instead of "That's not my job and I don't know anything else."

Ruth is the reason that Totally Tomatoes gets good reveiws here. She turned a one time cutomer into a repeat customer!

Thanks Ruth!!
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2007   #2
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Her account was approved and activated at around 2:30 pm and I did see her online afterwards.

Welcome to Tomatoville®, Ruth. :wink:

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2007   #3
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much ZBQ. I really do love this website. What a great resource for tomato lovers. Just to let anyone interested know, if you email Totally tomatoes through the website, your email will be answered by Cindy (she's really good) if anyone has any problems, feel free to get in touch with me (Ruth). I don't want to make this sound like a commercial, but we are here to help.
Thanks again,
Ruth
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2007   #4
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Almost a political rant, but...

What a lot of us do not realize is that many of these mail-order (well, internet and telephone) seed companies really are small businesses, and the phone desks are either handled by quickly-trained temps or maybe by the (small) staff that is also charged with all the other work.

Further, there seems to be a slow slide away from civility in this country...we all bemoan the loss of customer service, at the same time as we shop at the big box.

Could the girl at Jung's have been nicer? Sure, you bet. but maybe you were her 400th contact that day, and she was getting frustrated because she really wasn't able to help you...she didn't know where the product was, or when it would be in, or maybe she was going to have to stay late because somebody else was sick and they needed help unloading a truck in the warehouse...

I've dealt with Jung, as well as Vermont Bean, Tot Tomatoes, & Shumway both before and after they were rolled into the Randolph operation. If I could have my wishes fullfilled, it would be (perhaps) a backdoor way to order products from all entities in a single operation (phone call or internet page). Last year I got seeds from Jung, VB and TT all ordered on the same day, picked, packed, and shipped on the same day in 3 separate packages and I marvelled at this.

One picker/packer could have packed my whole measly (total, about $80) order in about the same time, increasing efficiency for Jung.