Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2016   #196
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Is the fuzzy wuzzy cross with the mmf? That sounds really intriguing... I hadn't heard of fuzzy wuzzy till recently, but it sounds cool. I think I would like to try some of that cross, if you have plenty. I can just see a mmf with fuzzy little fruit!
Old July 14, 2016   #197
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

@Carolyn, here are BOTH of the "cu" curl gene accessions, you can clearly see a big difference in the unripe green fruits.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stick01.jpg (60.0 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg Stick02.jpg (59.5 KB, 226 views)
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #198
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
Is the fuzzy wuzzy cross with the mmf? That sounds really intriguing... I hadn't heard of fuzzy wuzzy till recently, but it sounds cool. I think I would like to try some of that cross, if you have plenty. I can just see a mmf with fuzzy little fruit!
Yes, it is with the mmf. I'll PM you later. Should be fun to see what we get.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #199
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
@Carolyn, here are BOTH of the "cu" curl gene accessions, you can clearly see a big difference in the unripe green fruits.....
This on the right is from a white flowered GWR dwarf, the fruit looks identical to one of the unripe curl fruits. That's one of the few times I've seen such a dark green fruit. Plant is about Red Robin size. I forgot at the moment what the red fruit is, but plant was really small, think it ripened indoors...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01.jpg (59.9 KB, 218 views)
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #200
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

19xF1 getting ready to flower! Some long-ish looking sepals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (208.0 KB, 211 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #201
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
19xF1 getting ready to flower! Some long-ish looking sepals.
It will be interesting to see the size of the fruit on the F1. I've only grown out one other F1 of a cross of the MMF with a cherry size fruit - That was a cross with an F4 of Sweet Baby Girl. The F1s were significantly larger than either the MMF or SBG. That defies what I understand about fruit size with crosses - that small is dominant over large. We'll know by the end of the summer. I have F1s with several other cherry crosses growing.

The MMF mama and the Orange Ambrosia papa are both sweet cherry size fruits. The F1 should taste good whatever size they are.
Old July 18, 2016   #202
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Progress report

11/12x-f3-3 PL plant#2. Small red cherry, tart-watery taste, was not impressed. Slight multiflora

14x-f3-1 RL plant#1. Cute micro plant, 6inches at this point, not multiflora though. Small red cherries, tart

14x-f3-1 RL plant#2. As above, cute micro plant, not multiflora at this point, small red cherries, tart

11x-f3-1 PL plant#3. Large micro plant 12 inches, medium red cherry, loved the sweet & tangy taste, but skins were very thick, would personally not grow just because of the thick skins myself. Rate the taste at a 8 though. Multiflora

11x-f3-1 PL plant#1. Large micro as above 12 inches, medium red cherry, multiflora, taste not, bad, but not as good as plant#3, wasn't as sweet to balance the tart. Thick skin again.

13x-f3-2 RL plant#4. Just picked a large, bordering on dark purple cherry, take that back, it looks like a black not, purple. Will finish ripening inside.By color thought it was ripe, but still slightly firm.

So far, even though I have not tasted the 13x-f3 7 or 2. They look the most promising. By the rlly dark green shoulders, most I would think will end up being purple, shapes are mostly beefsteaks and 1 plant looks like cherry hearts, but only time will tell. My most multiflora plant that looks to be on steroids from the multiflora cluster, is from 1 of the above 13x-f3 lines. Once the cherries start to get bigger, will take a picture to show.

All plants are very healthy, no disease.

Last edited by disneynut1977; July 18, 2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: wrong color
disneynut1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #203
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

11-12X-F3-2

This is a nice looking plant. IMO it has all positive characteristics except one: taste.
I'd rate it at 6. I think in moderate temperatures it would have set more fruit. Its been over 100 in the hoophouse for weeks.

Let me know if someone wants to carry this one forward. I'll save some seeds.

Sorry about the picture quality. It's behind bird netting.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160718_11-12X-F3-2.jpg (269.3 KB, 200 views)
mashermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #204
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynut1977 View Post
Progress report

11/12x-f3-3 PL plant#2. Small red cherry, tart-watery taste, was not impressed. Slight multiflora

14x-f3-1 RL plant#1. Cute micro plant, 6inches at this point, not multiflora though. Small red cherries, tart

14x-f3-1 RL plant#2. As above, cute micro plant, not multiflora at this point, small red cherries, tart

11x-f3-1 PL plant#3. Large micro plant 12 inches, medium red cherry, loved the sweet & tangy taste, but skins were very thick, would personally not grow just because of the thick skins myself. Rate the taste at a 8 though. Multiflora

11x-f3-1 PL plant#1. Large micro as above 12 inches, medium red cherry, multiflora, taste not, bad, but not as good as plant#3, wasn't as sweet to balance the tart. Thick skin again.

13x-f3-2 RL plant#4. Just picked a large, bordering on dark purple cherry, take that back, it looks like a black not, purple. Will finish ripening inside.By color thought it was ripe, but still slightly firm.

So far, even though I have not tasted the 13x-f3 7 or 2. They look the most promising. By the rlly dark green shoulders, most I would think will end up being purple, shapes are mostly beefsteaks and 1 plant looks like cherry hearts, but only time will tell. My most multiflora plant that looks to be on steroids from the multiflora cluster, is from 1 of the above 13x-f3 lines. Once the cherries start to get bigger, will take a picture to show.

All plants are very healthy, no disease.
Well, I've obviously got a lot more learning to do! Apparently the multiflora trait is NOT always fixed if the F2 shows multiflora. I was very careful to only save and send seed from F2s that showed multiflora - or what I thought was multiflora.

How many others had plants that did not come multiflora? It would be interesting (and maybe informative) to know what percentage of each group was multiflora and what percentage was not.

I will post some questions on the 'Crosstalk' forum where the smart guys post and see if I can learn more about it. I have come to the conclusion that there are at least two genes involved - at least in these - that control the multiflora trait.

Obviously, I will not represent that they should be fixed for the multiflora trait any longer. Sorry to mislead you guys. That will only make the hunt for the tasty multiflora dwarf or micro more elusive.

Edit: As I've thought about this, unless the same thing shows up in most lines, it was probably that I called one or two lines multiflora that weren't. I still think that once full-on multiflora shows up, it should be fixed. With what I'm seeing this summer, some show much heavier flowering than normal but maybe not true multiflora. Probably much more complicated than a simple recessive gene or two.

Last edited by dfollett; July 20, 2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old July 19, 2016   #205
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Well, I've obviously got a lot more learning to do! Apparently the multiflora trait is NOT always fixed if the F2 shows multiflora. I was very careful to only save and send seed from F2s that showed multiflora.

How many others had plants that did not come multiflora? It would be interesting (and maybe informative) to know what percentage of each group was multiflora and what percentage was not.

I will post some questions on the 'Crosstalk' forum where the smart guys post and see if I can learn more about it. I have come to the conclusion that there are at least two genes involved - at least in these - that control the multiflora trait.

Obviously, I will not represent that they should be fixed for the multiflora trait any longer. Sorry to mislead you guys. That will only make the hunt for the tasty multiflora dwarf or micro more elusive.
That was just 1 line, that at this moment aren't showing multiflora. I would give it some time, I have 2 more months of growing and this summer has been very hot with not much rain. The plants are really cute, because of how short they are, just wish the taste was there. Will take pictures next weekend and post.
Old July 21, 2016   #206
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

I would call these multiflora, although there are no leaf nodes between inflorescenses on most of them. So far only one inflorescense. There are multiple inflorescenses on the last one, but there is no way I could count leaf nodes....

I hope there is decent fruit set, fruit size and flavor in some of them. They are all F2s....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12X-F3-6-1.jpg (246.1 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 12X-F3-6-2.jpg (238.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 12X-F3-6-all.jpg (285.5 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 12X-F3-6-3.jpg (215.2 KB, 178 views)
Old July 21, 2016   #207
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Just checked plants tonight and I have multiple plants with black tomatoes. Also have 1 plant with what looks like stripes/streaks. I WILL take photos this weekend.
Old July 22, 2016   #208
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynut1977 View Post
Just checked plants tonight and I have multiple plants with black tomatoes. Also have 1 plant with what looks like stripes/streaks. I WILL take photos this weekend.
Good to hear. Hope the taste is there.
Old July 24, 2016   #209
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Wanted to share a top down view of my 19xF1. It is a very larged leaf plant. It kinda reminds me of the Big Beef F1 I'm growing in terms of leaf density and size. First fruits are set. It is in a 12" diameter pot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (278.6 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by jmsieglaff; July 26, 2016 at 02:05 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #210
charline
Tomatovillian™

tasted the first 12x F3 -6 and its very good, sweet and tomatoey, about a 8. Its a very cute multiflora micro. One that I will grow again!

charline is offline   Reply With Quote