Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 27, 2014   #121
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
But worse is that he is Vegan. So his ethics force him to fight that war without a gun. So he could just give up gardening. Or he could sell the house and move. or....... find some way to control the rodent population. Most people are not able to instantly create wolf/coyote/bear habitat in their back yards. So that leaves domestic dog breeds specializing in rodent control, or possibly a fence? All I can say about the fence is, better be a really good fence or the woodchucks will laugh at it.

I had a new thought since woodchuck pie is off the table. You might be able to build reinforced concrete 4 feet high raised beds..... as long as the footer is deep enough a foundation..preferably down to bedrock.

I didn't know we had anyone from the Vegan system on this planet.

For Glenn; a good fence that will keep the 'chucks out (and from laughing) will have a heavy gauge 36" wide galvanized "hardware cloth" covering the bottom 12" of the fence and extending 6" below grade before it is folded 90* to parallel the ground for the last 18" in an outward direction.

We are getting farther and farther away from the original subject. I must remedy this: Nutrient density, Nutrient density, Nutrient density, Azomite, Kelp, rock dust, yeast, and withhold watering. Beer, fish emulsion, molasses, compost, brix, trace elements, etc. etc. etc. Okay, I feel better now.
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2014   #122
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
I didn't know we had anyone from the Vegan system on this planet. ...
Vegans are everywhere!(me too.)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2014   #123
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
I didn't know we had anyone from the Vegan system on this planet.

For Glenn; a good fence that will keep the 'chucks out (and from laughing) will have a heavy gauge 36" wide galvanized "hardware cloth" covering the bottom 12" of the fence and extending 6" below grade before it is folded 90* to parallel the ground for the last 18" in an outward direction.

We are getting farther and farther away from the original subject. I must remedy this: Nutrient density, Nutrient density, Nutrient density, Azomite, Kelp, rock dust, yeast, and withhold watering. Beer, fish emulsion, molasses, compost, brix, trace elements, etc. etc. etc. Okay, I feel better now.
Charlie
Charlie, thanks for all your input. Especially how to construct the fence, letting me know whose garden they think it is and most of all that I am at war with these destructive rodents. Think I read about Pollans's experience with Woodchuck's in "Second Nature."

So, lets get back on the topic of nutrient density. I have spent most of my time learning about the potential benefits of using compost, manure, rock dust, kelp and making sure there is enough calcium available. I do not know about the benefits of yeast and withholding water. Any information or resources you (or anyone else) could point me to would be much appreciated and definately get this thread back on topic. Gotta make sure all of us vegetable consumers (vegan or not) are getting the biggest nutritional bang for our buck!

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2014   #124
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPOSTER View Post
So, lets get back on the topic of nutrient density. I have spent most of my time learning about the potential benefits of using compost, manure, rock dust, kelp and making sure there is enough calcium available. I do not know about the benefits of yeast and withholding water. Any information or resources you (or anyone else) could point me to would be much appreciated and definately get this thread back on topic. Gotta make sure all of us vegetable consumers (vegan or not) are getting the biggest nutritional bang for our buck!Glenn
Talking about nutrients in food, vegetables in particular. You might be interested in this.
We grow almost all of our own veg, and last year I had a soil test done, just for interest. It came back "shortage of Magnesium" the same day DW came back from her monthly visit to the Homoeopath and guess what, they found a "shortage of Magnesium".
Just goes to show. You think you're doing it right regards chemicals, but find there are still downfalls to being self sufficient.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #125
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Talking about nutrients in food, vegetables in particular. You might be interested in this.
We grow almost all of our own veg, and last year I had a soil test done, just for interest. It came back "shortage of Magnesium" the same day DW came back from her monthly visit to the Homoeopath and guess what, they found a "shortage of Magnesium".
Just goes to show. You think you're doing it right regards chemicals, but find there are still downfalls to being self sufficient.
I agree there are downfalls. I also think if you only came up with 1 element out of balance you must be doing a lot of the right things. I firmly believe that you have a much better chance at getting close to optimal nutrition from growing your own nutrient dense produce than you will ever get purchasing from industrial agriculture or even some decent farmers. At least now you can work to increase the magnesium in your soil.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #126
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
beets have a long tap root and tend to pull up magnesium from deep in the soil and concentrate it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #127
creister
Tomatovillian™

If you can plant a fall cover crop, I have read that daikon radish is a good one to use because of its very long tap root that helps break up hardpan and bring nutrients up to the soil above the hardpan.

I think I also read that buckwheat does much of the same.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #128
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
If you can plant a fall cover crop, I have read that daikon radish is a good one to use because of its very long tap root that helps break up hardpan and bring nutrients up to the soil above the hardpan.

I think I also read that buckwheat does much of the same.
And both together do even more.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #129
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

I add Epsom salts and borax. The Twenty Mule Team seems to really help the carrots not have the fine, hairy roots that carrots get from not having enough boran. I figure if the carrots are showing symptoms, my tomatoes will benefit from the addition of boron as well. Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate.
yardn_gardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #130
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardn_gardn View Post
I add Epsom salts and borax. The Twenty Mule Team seems to really help the carrots not have the fine, hairy roots that carrots get from not having enough boran. I figure if the carrots are showing symptoms, my tomatoes will benefit from the addition of boron as well. Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate.
While I agree regarding the Epsom salts, the borax bothers me. Too much boron will create all sorts of problems.
I was always told that too much nitrogen is the cause of hairy rooted carrots.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014   #131
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

Oops! Thank you for the correction. I'll be careful with the boron too.