Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2006   #1
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default New Tomato varieties from Russia, Biysk (Altai)

Hi All,

I am now a proud owner of a few seeds of a bunch of tomato varieties from Russia, Biysk (Altai) - all new to me! I received the seeds from a Russian seeds collector, Tamara Yaschenko, who grows lots of grape varieties for Siberia and Urals, and sells scionwood - grapes and rasberries. Her main business is grapes - http://www.vinograd.alt.ru/catalog/tomatoes.php,but she also owns a small tomato seed business, and Tamara was very kind to share some varieties from her tomato collection.

Anyway, here is what I got from her (please note that you might not be able to see the original Russian name (Cyrillic) unless you have enabled Russian on your computer, my apologies if this comes out as a bunch of strange symbols...) :

Abakanskii (АБАКАНСКИЙ)
Andizhanskie (АНДИЖАНСКИЕ)
Arkashin (Аркашин)
Aventiuniai (Авентюняй)
Bashkirskii Krasavets (БАШКИРСКИЙ КРАСАВЕЦ)
Biiskaya Rosa (БИЙСКАЯ РОЗА)
Biysky Krupnoplodnii (БИЙСКИЙ КРУПНОПЛОДНЫЙ)
Chernomorskii Gigant (ЧЕРНОМОРСКИЙ ГИГАНТ)
Dagestanskii (Дагестанский)"
Donskoi (Донской)
Dynnie (ДЫННЫЕ), or Melon-like
Gigant Pelina (Гигант Пелина)"
Gigant Purelesa (Гигант Пурелеса)"
Ilia Muromets (Илья Муромец)"
Kartofelnii Malinovii (КАРТОФЕЛЬНЫЙ МАЛИНОВЫЙ), or Potato Purple
Korol' Gigantov (КОРОЛЬ ГИГАНТОВ), or King of Giants
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (МАЛАХИТОВАЯ ШКАТУЛКА)
Malinovii Surpriz, or Puprle Surprise (МАЛИНОВЫЙ СЮРПРИЗ)
Mashenka (Машенька)
Monastirskaya Trapeza (МОНАСТЫРСКАЯ ТРАПЕЗА)
Orlinoe Serdtse (ОРЛИНОЕ СЕРДЦЕ), or Eagle's Heart
Oslinie Ushi, or Donkey's Ears (ОСЛИНЫЕ УШИ)
Pamiati Korneeva, or Memory to Korneev (Памяти Корнеева)
Petushinii Grebeshok, or ★★★★'s Comb (ПЕТУШИНЫЙ ГРЕБЕШОК)"
Rozovii Izumnii, or Pink Raisin (РОЗОВЫЙ ИЗЮМНЫЙ)
Sadko (САДКО)
Sakharnii Zheltiy, or Sugary Yellow (Сахарный Желтый)
Severnii (СЕВЕРНЫЙ), or 'Northern '
Sevriuga (СЕВРЮГА)
Sibirskii Velikan Rozovii (СИБИРСКИЙ ВЕЛИКАН РОЗОВЫЙ)"
Volovie Ukho (ВОЛОВЬЕ УХО)
Zhuk, or Beetle (Жук)"
Zolotie Kupola (ЗОЛОТЫЕ КУПОЛА)

Some of the seeds are a bit old, and I only got a few of each, so hopefully I get lucky and will be able to grow most of these!

Needless to say, I am very grateful to Tamara for the seeds, and I wish her all the best in her business and seeds preservation! I wish she could speak English and join the forum, but she only speaks Russian.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania,

This sounds very exciting.

A few on your list look kind of familar to me from some SSE listings.

And you know we're depending on you to get those seeds going and to hopefully make some of those varieties available in the future.

Good Luck.
Old March 1, 2006   #3
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

No pressure, Tania. But the hope of tomato diversity rests in your hands! (send seeds next year)
Old March 2, 2006   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I've found Tamara's web-site last year too and have plans to make some trades with her this spring. She has a wonderful collection of West-Siberian (Altai) and Siberian varieties. Some of them I've already got in my list.

Glad, Tania are doing the same from the other side of Atlantic :wink:

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Andrey,

Given where I am (physically), it is more like 'on the other side of Pacific'
I only have short descriptions for these tomatoes from Tamara, and if you have any additional information on any of these that you can share, that would be great!

Carolyn and Tim - it is exciting! I'll see if I can get these going. I will not be able to grow all these this year, but I will try at least 15. Hopefully I'll get enough seeds to spread around a few.

Carolyn, which ones are you familiar with? any additional info you can provide?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 3, 2006   #6
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Tania, I have several varieties from your list and will grow some of them this year. I've bought these tomato varieties in Moscow in September 2005.

I have describtions in my list for these varieties:

Abakanskii (АБАКАНСКИЙ) but the right name for this variety is Abakanski Pink (АБАКАНСКИЙ РОЗОВЫЙ)
Ilia Muromets (Илья Муромец)" = my Ilya Muromets
Mashenka (Машенька)
Sevriuga (СЕВРЮГА) I trnslated it as Sevryuga
Zolotie Kupola (ЗОЛОТЫЕ КУПОЛА) =my Zolotie Koupala

I'll send you my updated list by e-mail today.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old January 8, 2018   #7
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Tania, I have several varieties from your list and will grow some of them this year. I've bought these tomato varieties in Moscow in September 2005.

I have describtions in my list for these varieties:

Abakanskii (АБАКАНСКИЙ) but the right name for this variety is Abakanski Pink (АБАКАНСКИЙ РОЗОВЫЙ)
Ilia Muromets (Илья Муромец)" = my Ilya Muromets
Mashenka (Машенька)
Sevriuga (СЕВРЮГА) I trnslated it as Sevryuga
Zolotie Kupola (ЗОЛОТЫЕ КУПОЛА) =my Zolotie Koupala

I'll send you my updated list by e-mail today.
I'm eyeing Mashenka. How did it perform for you?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #8
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Default Ilia Muromets (Илья

Perhaps Andrey is the only one who can answer this question, but I have a pepper purchased in the Ukraine by this same name. I know there is both tomato and pepper for Olena Ukrainian, is there both for Ilya Muromets also? Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Patty,

It's true that I got seeds from John Bartkowski for both a pepper and a tomato, from Olena Warshona, but I didn't name both of them Olena Ukrainian as far as I can remember, only the tomato. And right now I can't think what I named the pepper and will have to check on that since I didn't keep it going, but after listing it in the SSE Yearbooks others have.

And I will be e-mailing you about the proper name for what I called WV Slicer but I know you said in an e-mail that I can't find that you called it something different. Orange Strange didn't work out and what I called WV Sweet was great, but different plants gave different fruits, so I don't know where I'm at with that one.

Well heck, I've told you all you need to know so why don't YOU e-mail me. LOL

I have someone who will grow out the WV Slicer one for seed production so I can list it next year. I didn't get enough seeds this past season.

Thanks.
Old March 4, 2006   #10
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, not to highjack this post, I will email you about the West Virginia tomatoes and the proper name for the Olena Pepper. But I will add this.....I thought I was planting a tomato named Olena Ukrainian that I had received in trade, but when looking for the tomato plant, couldn't find one. While planting the peppers and checking their names, I found Olena Ukrainian. Went back to the pack and looked at the seed and sure enough they were pepper seeds and not tomato. I have no idea now who might have sent them to me as it has been several years ago. I have since gotten the Olena Ukrainian tomato seed(maybe even in your seed give away last time) but have not tried it yet.

I noticed the Ilya Muromets on Tania's tomato list and brought my other mix up back to mind! Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #11
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn and Patty, is the WV Slicer the same as Patty's 'Pink Slicer'?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 4, 2006   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania,

You'll have to ask Patty that. We've been pming and there are some name problems and purity problems as in I called what she sent me WV this or that, and one was not pure.

But from what I know I don't think Patty has distributed these seeds, meaning a pink Slicer, to anyone, but she can tell you that, b'c the purpose was for me to grow them out and if I liked them to offer them at SSE.

We're working on it, yes we are.
Old March 5, 2006   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Ilia Muromets (Иль&#11

Patty, yes, there are tomato and sweet pepper varieties with the name Ilya Muromets. But they were bred by different Russian seed companies.

Sweet pepper Ilya Muromets
Patentee and Originator Agrofirma «Semco-Junior». Included in the National Register of Breeding Achievements. Mid-maturing variety. The vegetation period from full germination to technical ripeness — 130 days. Plant bole, closed, medium tall. Leaf medium size, green. Fruit droop, pnsmoidal big (weight 180-300 g), smooth glossy, without cross ribbing. Wall thickness 5,5 mm. Number of nests 3—4. Fruit color in canning ripeness — green, in biological ripeness — red. Good flavor quality. Weak aroma. Ascorbic acid content in fruits (mg/100 g of green matter) in canning ripeness — 128, in biological ripeness — 157. Good for fresh market and canning. Highly resistant to Verticillium sp (V). Does not require plant forming. Planting density — up 5-6 plants/m2. Yield in unheated greenhouse — 5,2-5,6 kg/m2. Variety value high yield, big fruits, resistance to Verticillium sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_b
Perhaps Andrey is the only one who can answer this question, but I have a pepper purchased in the Ukraine by this same name. I know there is both tomato and pepper for Olena Ukrainian, is there both for Ilya Muromets also? Patty

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old March 17, 2006   #14
Tania
Tomatovillian™

OK, the following varieties are up:

Arkashin (Аркашин)
Aventiuniai (Авентюняй)
Dagestanskii (Дагестанский)
Donskoi (Донской)
Gigant Pelina (Гигант Пелина)
Gigant Purelesa (Гигант Пурелеса)
Kartofelnii Malinovii (КАРТОФЕЛЬНЫЙ МАЛИНОВЫЙ),
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (МАЛАХИТОВАЯ ШКАТУЛКА)
Mashenka (Машенька)
Monastirskaya Trapeza (Монастырская трапеза)
Pamiati Korneeva, or Memory to Korneev (Памяти Корнеева)
Budenovka (Буденовка)
Sakharnii Zheltiy, or Sugary Yellow (Сахарный Желтый)
------------
Now I need to nurse them to fruits (and seeds!)

8)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 18, 2006   #15
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Andrey- , a friend asked me to ask you mainly out of curiosity, as they also want to have some seeds from you.

Roughly on average, from the tomato seeds you send out to interested people- how many seeds per packet is there in each pkt, just as a simple rough guide, as they only wanted to know in case they needed to order more than one packet of certain varieties in order to obtain enough seeds.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote